Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray falls to the little Spanish beast 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray falls to the little Spanish beast

(Read 3893 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #105 on: June 08, 2012, 11:27 AM »

Add me to the ranks of the believers Tessie.  We must try not to be impatient if the Lendl effect takes time to mature.  And on the way there are bound to be blips.  After all what did we expect when we climbed aboard the Andy Murray roller coaster?  I'm still there to enjoy the highs even if the lows still disappoint.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #106 on: June 08, 2012, 11:58 AM »

Add me to the ranks of the believers Tessie.  We must try not to be impatient if the Lendl effect takes time to mature.  And on the way there are bound to be blips.  After all what did we expect when we climbed aboard the Andy Murray roller coaster?  I'm still there to enjoy the highs even if the lows still disappoint.

And me. I am not sure that he will manage a GS. I hope he does for his sake, not to mention the fact that if he did become Britains first GS tennis player  in about 80 years the powers that be would probably want to knight him. This I feel would be a really satisfying way of getting back at his many detractors.  Regardless on a good day he is an inspired tennis player, and a complex, fascinating character. If all I wanted was relentless GS victories, arrogance and boring tennis I would follow one of the "robots". He still makes me bang my head against the wall mind you, but better a functioning human being than a completely mechanical tennis machine. What you see is what you get with Murray. The exciting and frustrating bit is you can't predict from day to day or match to match what or who will walk onto the court wearing his face. Keep the faith.....
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #107 on: June 08, 2012, 12:27 PM »

I will always support Andy, and never give up hope for a GS.  I still believe it will happen.  He's still only 25.
I agree with Masaka^. There's times he can frustrate me as hell, and I will call it like it is... even Andy gets frustrated at himself.
Regardless of whether or not he gets that elusive slam, Andy will always be my No.1 player.
I am in awe of his achievements so far.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #108 on: June 08, 2012, 12:46 PM »

I will never give up hope for a GS for him. I think he has the talent to get one, and works various bits of his anatomy off in the attempts. One of the decent newspaper write ups made the comment that some of his detractors (and I am talking about the dingbats, not the simply frustrated), forget that he has the guts to go back to the slams time after time, to "try, try again". It can't be easy. As Scotnadian has said he is still only 25. He has still got 5 or 6 years. Surely at some point things do have to fall into place for him, and for him to win that match changing point. I kind of think he puts enough pressure on himself. Perhaps sometimes he needs to know his supporters respect and value what he has achieved, and is achieving. That it is not just about the GS's He just seems to get more "crap" from the media than any other sportsman - I can't quite work out why.  If it is simply about a comment he made about football years ago, when he was a young man being provoked over a sensitive issue, then heaven help the general level of intelligence in some sections of the population of this country. Perhaps if he does lack confidence, a bit of "over the top" enthusiasm from his supporters, to counter the other stuff might not be such a bad thing.?
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #109 on: June 08, 2012, 12:49 PM »

I will always support Andy, through thick and thin.  He is a special talent, a flawed genius who I would love to see achieve what his hard work deserves.  I love watching him compete, okay the lows are low, but the highs tend to be pretty spectacular, remember that match at Queens when he dismantled Andy Roddick with a display of tennis that was spectacular.  He is a genuine bloke, who wears his heart on his sleeve, his humility is real (take note Rafa), he has no arrogance ( take note Fed).  He has done wonders to raise the profile of British tennis (take note LTA) and there is never a more true saying than "you don't know what you've got till it's gone" and I reckon there will be a lot of people, when Andy finally hangs up his rackets, who will then feel the void in British tennis.

Finally, I love his fight, spirit and his "bloody mindedness" cos that is what has got him to where he is. 
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #110 on: June 08, 2012, 02:02 PM »

On the grass he will be so much better  plus his back will be better also   Smile  Cmon Andy!!!  Roll on to the grass season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Lots more titles to be won
Well ther is not much of a grass season is there so he wil need to be superman to win all!!
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #111 on: June 08, 2012, 02:06 PM »

Same here Rafa gets my cheers from now on too.  Fast going off Novak.
What has Joko done to upset you-win maybe? Rafa has done enough of that so may the best player win eh. Whistle
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #112 on: June 08, 2012, 02:19 PM »

Masaka and MM  clap clap
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #113 on: June 08, 2012, 02:51 PM »

Just read in the Herald that Andy will play at Queens, also that Lendl will be with him throughout the grass season. So that will help them cement their partnership ans understanding of each other. Roll on the next few weeks, longing for Andy to shut up all those who doubt him and overtly critical, namely past players (Mc Enroe)
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #114 on: June 08, 2012, 03:24 PM »

^ Hmm.. not sure about that, but thanks for the info Michelle.  I'm waiting to hear from the horse's mouth.
Other reports are not as commital.
Can you post the link for us please so we can all read what he has to say?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #115 on: June 08, 2012, 03:29 PM »

Don't worry Michelle.. I found it:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/tennis/queens-next-for-scot-as-grass-court-season-looms.17819793
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #116 on: June 08, 2012, 08:54 PM »

Masaka and MM  clap clap
I second that
IP Logged
Kahstaics
thanks for the post « Reply #117 on: June 08, 2012, 10:35 PM »

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!</PostText>
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #118 on: June 09, 2012, 12:03 AM »

The Herald is reliable. yes  Also am.com still have it as his next tournament.  Made sense to me to have a rest now and do all the fitness stuff after Queens'.

Just read in the Herald that Andy will play at Queens, also that Lendl will be with him throughout the grass season. So that will help them cement their partnership ans understanding of each other. Roll on the next few weeks, longing for Andy to shut up all those who doubt him and overtly critical, namely past players (Mc Enroe)
I see McEnroe has been chirruping on again about what Andy needs to do.  I do wish he'd give it a rest.  He and Becker are complete pains.

Meanwhile Mark Petchey has this to say in The Scotsman -

It was Murray’s earliest grand slam exit for almost two years but Petchey said: “I don’t think he needs to tweak a lot.

“He has been pretty unlucky in terms of the era he is playing in with three guys [Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic] that will not just get into the Hall of Fame but own it, probably. It is almost unprecedented what is going on.

“He clearly works physically hard enough, the only thing is consistently getting up the court a little bit with his forehand. He is so close to being able to pick one of these titles up and it may come in the next few.”

Petchey, who is part of ITV’s French Open coverage, coached Murray up until the age of 18. The Dunblane player became British No 1 and rose into the world top 50 under his tutorship and Petchey believes he should not be too disappointed with his French Open exit.

“He had a tough draw, there is no question about it

“This is definitely the toughest of the slams for him to win because of the surface and how dominant Rafa [Nadal] has been on it, but he made a better fist of things than before.”

Not only did Murray have to come through a tough draw, he also had to contend with a back injury that almost ended his campaign against Finland’s Jarkko Nieminen in the second round. He needed three on-court massages to come through that match but Petchey is not overly concerned about the injury.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/tennis/ex-coach-says-andy-murray-is-closer-than-ever-to-slam-1-2344538
"... the only thing is consistently getting up the court a little bit with his forehand."  If only Andy could get this firmly into his head ... hammer
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #119 on: June 09, 2012, 06:30 AM »

I do wish these ex tennis players would shut up about Andy! I like Mac but he's always been gobby! As for Becker, grrr. I don't follow other sports as closely, but it seems to me that Andy gets a huge  share of unpleasant criticsm, unwanted advice and scrutiny. It's like a constantly dripping tap. Horrid!
As for the forehand, apparently, according to Courier, that's what Andy and Lendl spend most of their time together working on and lately we have indeed  seen a few mighty ripping forehands. As Andy works on it and tries it out as he did against Ferrer, we are going to see a higher UE count than we normally expect from Andy. He is literally changing his game in front of our eyes. How brave is that?
Forehand + consistency = slam  yay
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »