Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray falls to the little Spanish beast 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray falls to the little Spanish beast

(Read 4002 times)
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « on: June 06, 2012, 08:01 PM »

Everyone has their off days, most of us can scrabble through them, but then most of us aren’t facing one of our main rivals in a do or die tennis match in the quarter finals of Roland Garros.

Unfortunately this was the situation Andy Murray found himself in today as he lost 6-4 6-7 6-3 6-2 to the world no. 6 David Ferrer.

Murray’s first serve went missing on Suzanne Lenglen today never getting out of the 50th percentile in the match. Add to that a forehand that refused to respond to the occasion, and tennis balls that seemed magnetically drawn to the middle of the net and you had the recipe for hard toil, frustration and disappointment.

Going into the match the world no. 4 was viewed very much as the underdog compared to Ferrer who has looked almost unbeatable on clay this year apart from against his compatriot Rafael Nadal. Both players are known for their returning and their ability to grind out a match and so there was a great deal of anticipation as the players came on court.

It didn’t take long for the first break points to come, in the 3rd game of the match for the Brit, but he was unable to convert the points, which set the trend for the rest of the match. Ferrer played himself into a break point position in the following game and Murray then handed him the break with another unforced error for a 3-1 lead.

Despite break point chances Murray was unable to take advantage of the opportunities offered and it wasn’t until Ferrer served for the set that Murray added some variety into his shots. He changed up his shots enough to throw Ferrer off his rhythm and win himself two break points. The world no.4 only needed one and broke back to bring the set back on serve, finally converting one of the eight break points that had been on offer in the set.

The relief offered by this break did not last long with Murray hitting another unforced error, his 19th of the match, giving the break straight back to Ferrer.  Ferrer then came out again to serve for the set which he won 6-4.

Read more (459 words)
The early games of the second set were interrupted by rain and the players were given a brief respite as the rain clouds passed overhead. When they were able to resume player the second set followed a similar line to the first with Ferrer breezing through his service games whilst Murray continued to struggle to get a first serve over the net. Murray’s forehand just seemed incapable of coming into play effectively in this match.

Murray broke Ferrer in the second set but in what became a trend of the match, Murray was unable to consolidate the break and Ferrer broke straight back.
The second set entered a tie-break and Murray consolidated a mini break with one of his best winners of the match, drilling a brilliant forehand up the line and led 5-1. Ferrer fought back in but Murray attacked the second serve for 3 set points, and levelled the match at a set apiece.

As at the beginning of the second, the third set opened with the rain coming down, which led to play being suspended. The players came back out to a forecast of sunshine and showers, Murray fans hoped that described just the weather and not Murray’s tennis for the rest of the match. Unfortunately the rain break did nothing to improve Murray’s standard of play as he showed little consistency and his first serve continued to betray him.

Both Ferrer and Murray exchanged breaks of serve but it was the Spaniard who eventually took the third set on the Murray serve after Murray hit a forehand long, summing up what a horrible day Murray was having with that shot.

Hopes were slightly raised at the beginning of the fourth in the Murray camp as with a noteworthy rally handing Murray an early break in the opening service game for the Spaniard. However, for the fourth time Murray was unable to hold his own serve to consolidate the break.

From there Ferrer was again in the driving seat at broke the world no.4 yet again. At 5-2 Murray served to stay in the match and despite a lovely winner on the line, Murray faced match points. The result was almost academic in the end.

Ferrer did what he does best, grind and grind consistently. The match was not quite as even keeled as some would have hoped for, and Murray will leave Roland Garros with some disappointment over his performance today. However, Murray did play periods of this match well and with the right attitude against Ferrer. This match was also the first four set match that Ferrer has played these championships, with Murray taking the only set so far off the Spaniard.

The Spaniard now faces his fellow countryman Rafael Nadal in the semi-finals, a prospect few would relish.
[ Last edit by Mark June 07, 2012, 10:38 PM ] IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 08:21 PM »

Pretty much as expected. The only way Murray can beat Ferrer on clay is to out hit him - and he's simply not good enough to do that consistently.

Still, a decent tournament on his worst surface. On to grass where he'll no doubt fall just short once again.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 08:31 PM »

On the grass he will be so much better  plus his back will be better also   Smile  Cmon Andy!!!  Roll on to the grass season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Lots more titles to be won
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:33 PM »

Sometimes you have to say the other player is too good. Clay is Ferrer's dominant surface, so no real big surprise.

Time for Andy to pack his bags and jump on the Eurostar home. Rest up a bit and hit the lovely green grass of home tender

Won't be up for the remainder of RG but am hoping for a Nole vs Rafa final with Rafa the victor. I think there might be a bit of cricket to distract me in the meantime.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:41 PM »

Sometimes you have to say the other player is too good. Clay is Ferrer's dominant surface, so no real big surprise.

Time for Andy to pack his bags and jump on the Eurostar home. Rest up a bit and hit the lovely green grass of home tender

Won't be up for the remainder of RG but am hoping for a Nole vs Rafa final with Rafa the victor. I think there might be a bit of cricket to distract me in the meantime.

Same here Rafa gets my cheers from now on too.  Fast going off Novak.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 08:56 PM »

Thanks for the very good report.  Didn't watch the match but, although the result was expected, it's still a disappointment.  Now for the green stuff where Andy will feel a lot more comfortable.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 09:01 PM »

"I believe I lost to a better clay‑court player than me tonight. I’ll need to work on some things in my clay court game for 2013"
"I’m not really disappointed. I was playing some good tennis towards the end. Just made a few more mistakes than I'd have liked to

Murray on his back problem: "Every player has niggles. Everyone has to find ways of dealing with them. The grass will probably help a bit".
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 09:17 PM »

Great report Hazel again. clap Bring on the grass now, onwards and upwards Andy you can do this. cmonandy
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 09:26 PM »

This has certainly been one of the easier slam defeats to swallow. Normally its at least 3 days before I can stomach MW or the media write-ups.

There are a lot of positives to be taken from RG as a whole. Some of his ball striking was sensational and we have seen a bit more aggression. Tonight he seemed to be writing cheques his body couldn't cash. He was just not at the races and it was simply one of those days. Nevermind. Bring on the grass!
[ Last edit by drchef June 06, 2012, 09:37 PM ] IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 09:35 PM »

Once again we find ourselves at the end of a Grand slam with many questions to ponder as does Andy.

Should we feel disappointed for the staggering amount of unforced errors? or shall we be proud of the fact 40 minutes in to the second round Andy was a game away from retiring only to fight on and reach the quarter finals losing only to a clay beast?.

Whatever the answer I feel the next for months might be now or never for him and we also might be taken along on the most exciting, scary and magical 3 months of Andy's life.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 09:36 PM »

I'm quite upset not cos he lost - i was sort of expecting that! but how he lost. He lost serve 10 times, and made 59 Ue's thats poor form isn't it. Ferrer played OK but it seemed Murray wanted Ferrer to win it as much as he did.

I hate that Murray never gave Ferrer the chance to get nervous by holding serve to make it 3-5, if he did that and Ferrer hit 4 winners and won 6/3 i would have been satisified and said too good, but at this level Murray needed to do his duty make a guy win and earn a place in the semi's not hand it to him on a plate.

IP Logged
reef
Junior

coral reef

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 09:42 PM »

This has certainly been one of the easier slam defeats to swallow. Normally its at least 3 days before I can stomach MW or the media write-ups.

There are a lot of positives to be taken from RG. Some of his ball striking was sensational and we have seen a bit more aggression. Tonight he seemed to be writing cheques his body couldn't cash. He was just not at the races and it was simply one of those days. Nevermind. Bring on the grass!

Totally agree.  A bit more time for the back to adjust and on to the grass.  Yes, a lot more positives - erratic at times but hopefully he will become more consistent with the aggressive forehand.

For some reason though the serve still hasn't reached the levels of consistency that enables him to hold predictably.  How much is due to the back, or what?  Who knows but I wish it wasn't so.....
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 09:56 PM »

A very fair report I thought Hazel - thanks.
I did feel that had Andy been on his A game he could have beaten Ferrer today, which was pretty much what Petchey said.  So part of me is bitterly disappointed he wasn't and didn't.  Another part of me thinks he is getting closer and closer on clay.  Not sure how much his serve was affected by his back.  Just hope he can get sufficient rest before Wimbledon and that the grass will be kinder to it.   I see BBC is speculating he might pull out of Queens.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 10:12 PM »

Andy has 5 more years ahead of him to play at the same age and level of Daveed.
All is not lost...
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Murray falls to the little Spanish beast « Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 10:34 PM »

If feel that if Andy had got his 1st serve in more and taken his chances then I feel he'd have won that in 3 or 4 sets.

On to the grass where I seem to be thinking that Andy generally serves better...
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »