Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge

(Read 1293 times)
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 09:18 PM »

Well done Andy,so pleased for you yay
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 09:18 PM »

My goodness MW is really making you work, MH!   Another excellent report though.  Really gives you the feel of the match, the end of which had my nerves in shreds even although I was sure Andy would prevail.  Baggy certainly wasn't going to go quietly.

Yes I know we should have faith in Andy, but he does seem to like giving his fans a few frights!  Also it's a bit disappointing that he's so easily put off if the playing conditions aren't right, as he seemed to be by the wind in the first set.  Hopefully the weather will be calmer tomorrow.

IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 09:29 PM »

A bit of an upset - Kei Nishikori beat David Ferrer in 3 sets.

Very nice to see Nishikori having more success (sad for Daveed though, he's so good) he's got potenial that guy.
IP Logged
alisonfiner

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 10:54 PM »

Andy has really impressed me in during the Olympics.  He seems to be hitting the ball great.  He came back strongly after a shaky start and seems to be carrying on with the same strong mental attitude that he showed during Wimbledon, by not letting the loss of the 1st set get to him.   
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 11:50 PM »

Nice report Mh..unfortuantely i didnt see the match but i now have a good idea of how it went down!

I agree Aileen it just takes him too long to settle sometimes, esp against lower ranked oppeants he just starts off dead cagey its like his automatic reaction is to put balls in play at the beginning of a match rather than start off positive. Which is why now I think he is a far better GS player than anything else because it takes him an hour to adapt to conditions/oppeants, and by that time he'll be a set and a break down in BO3!!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 12:00 AM »

What Andy said:

“At the start of the match it was very windy and it pretty much continued that way,” said Murray. “After playing two matches indoors, where there's none of that to worry about, it did take me (time to get used to the conditions). I was pretty unsure of myself at the beginning of the match, didn't feel comfortable on the court.

“Then, yeah, managed to settle myself down and move my feet better to get in better position in the second set. Played some good tennis after that, but it was very, very different conditions to the first two rounds.”

more at http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/news/articles/london-2012-day-5-murray-digs-deep-to-outlast-baghdatis.aspx
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 12:14 AM »

I was freaking after the 1st set , sooo glad he managed to turn it around and win.
He played some nice stuff the 2nd and 3rd sets
More of the same 2morrow hopefully !!!!
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 12:25 AM »

Well done, Andy!

I'd thought it was tomorrow, darn it, and missed it, except for just happening to catch the glorious ending! (replayed)
[ Last edit by adb..OH August 02, 2012, 12:34 AM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 12:40 AM »

Lay off the booze, adb..OH!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 01:15 AM »

I'm really mad that i missed the match - looks to have been a real entertainment - all down to pressure of work, unfortunately.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 01:20 AM »

Can be watched here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/live-video/p00w2yhs

4:15:52 or option 6. Smile

NB. The video may be removed by tomorrow so if the link is broken that's because the BBC have taken it down.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #26 on: August 02, 2012, 03:04 AM »

What Andy said:

“At the start of the match it was very windy and it pretty much continued that way,” said Murray. “After playing two matches indoors, where there's none of that to worry about, it did take me (time to get used to the conditions). I was pretty unsure of myself at the beginning of the match, didn't feel comfortable on the court.

“Then, yeah, managed to settle myself down and move my feet better to get in better position in the second set. Played some good tennis after that, but it was very, very different conditions to the first two rounds.”

more at http://2012.itftennis.com/olympics/news/articles/london-2012-day-5-murray-digs-deep-to-outlast-baghdatis.aspx
I suspected that having played two matches under the roof might have had something to do with the jittery start, especially as Andy doesn't like windy conditions anyway.
IP Logged
Sootie
Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 08:20 AM »

Andy has been playing superbly after his Wimbledon defeat.  I have the feeling he has become more confident and now determined to get a good win behind him whether it the Olympics or  a Salem.  I know he will do it. His attitiude has changed his all demeanor.  Well done Andy you have grown up overnight. Please continue and get to the Medal stage.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #28 on: August 02, 2012, 08:56 AM »

Nice lengthy report Luke, tomorrow should be an easier match. Fingers crossed.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray fends off Baghdatis challenge « Reply #29 on: August 02, 2012, 08:57 AM »

Was on  a train so couldn't watch but such  a good report tmh which has given me a good feel for it. I've recorded it so will skip first set I think. Can't watch today either though will be home in time for dubs,
Like Nishikori so though sorry for Ferrer who I also like am v pleased for him,  And I guess KN must have good chance of making sfs now, Not sure who he plays today, Ah now seen it's delpo so perhaps not but would love Kei to beat delpo.
But most importantly well done Andy sounds like he played some great tennis towards end and so hope he keeps it up today and till sunday. Just as well he's experienced the conditions as its sounds like windy again today and I hear on radio he's on court 1,
[ Last edit by Ruthie August 02, 2012, 09:03 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »