Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray fights past Mayer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray fights past Mayer

(Read 353 times)
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray fights past Mayer « on: August 31, 2013, 09:57 AM »

Andy Murray continued his US Open title defence with a difficult 7-5, 6-1, 3-6, 6-1 victory over Leonardo Mayer.

Murray found himself the victim of scheduling once again, demoted to Louis Armstrong. The Scot is certainly not a fan of this court - some of his most agonising US Open losses have taken place in it's intimate confines. Mayer never threatened a complete upset, but he did cause Murray some real moments of concern.

For much of the first set Murray was on the back foot. The Scot had to defend break points in his opening service game and found it difficult to make headway against an opponent whose shotmaking belied his lowly ranking.

* murray-mayer.jpg (60.04 KB. 960x553 - viewed 11639 times.)

Murray managed to protect his service games and, at 6-5*, Mayer's forehand unravelled. Three unforced errors in a row gave Murray set points and wild cross-court forehand finished the job.

Having weathered the storm, Murray upped his game and cruised through the second set in just 35 minutes. The Scot broke his opponent twice, sealing the set with a dismissive forehand smash.

Mayer wasn't finished yet - a hold in the first game of the third gave him some security, and two moments of inattention from Murray opened the door to a break. A careless smash into the net followed by a missed volley gave the Argentine 0-30. Mayer grabbed the chance with both hands, crashing a crosscourt winner to bring up three break points. Two went begging, but a huge crosscourt forehand took the third.

Murray, who had been strangely irritable all night, was not impressed. The Scot was even less impressed at 4-1 when he found himself three break points down and in danger of a double break. Some prolificacy from his opponent saw the danger pass though and the Wimbledon Champion fashioned two break points of his own in the next game.

Both went begging and Mayer eased into a 5-2 lead. The Argentine showed no signs of nerves and served the set out to love.

Already disadvantaged by scheduling, the last thing Murray needed was to get caught in a prolonged dogfight. The Scot responded admirably, turning on the style and demolishing his wilting opponent in the fourth set.

Murray will meet Florian Mayer in the next round, time TBA on Sunday.

IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:04 AM »

Good report Boogers. Thanks for that!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 10:49 AM »

Wow, Boogers, 'fights' ? Are you feeling all right? I expected 'Murray survives Mayer mauling' at the very least.

No, seriously, it's a very good report, just a wee bit light on description i.e there us none, of the 4th set.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:00 AM »

Thanks for the report Boogers, except you forgot to mention the outstanding, scintillating tennis Andy played in the 4th set! Smile
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 11:04 AM »

Good descriptive and fair report Boogers!
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 11:10 AM »

May I add my thanks for your report and also for the photo of another new strip for Andy. When you can't see the match on tv photos are particularly welcome
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 02:14 PM »

Enjoyed your well written report. Good to have a good headline Whistle However I think as some else has already said more could have been made of Andy's scintillating play in the 4th set.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 02:31 PM »

Well done Boogers, good report. That 4th set included some amazing shots especially from Andy, he was frustrated at losing the third set and the frustration brought out super aggression and even extra skills.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 02:37 PM »

Let's hope he can avoid the Lance Armstrong court from now on, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he had kept his number 2 ranking, would they have made Rafa play on this court? something tells me no.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 02:46 PM »

Let's hope he can avoid the Lance Armstrong court from now on, it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he had kept his number 2 ranking, would they have made Rafa play on this court? something tells me no.

It seems a pretty safe bet to me that they wouldn't have made Nadal play out there in any circumstance.

The great thing about the match, apart from the 4th set and Andy winning, was the way a few of the articles about it mentioned that the queues to see Andy play went right back to the fountain in the grounds. That says such a lot for Andy's popularity now.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 03:35 PM »

Good article boogers and I agree that more should have been said how Andy proved how good he is by taking command of the fourth set. I must admit it was a very scary match to watch because Mayer played some great tennis.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 03:55 PM »

Really can only echo other posts:  a very fair report I thought Boogers but I would have liked more attention paid to the final set in which Andy really showed what he is made of [had you perchance gone to bed?  Whistle ]
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 03:58 PM »

Good match report thank you.  But I thought the fourth set was sublime.  I will gladly take the "Murraycoaster" if it means being able to witness Andy Murray play tennis like he did in the fourth set, I don't think breathtaking is too much to describe it, phenomenal shots, gritty determination, passion and fight, I'll take that every day over robotic consistency.  No wonder Andy is so popular in the states.  I watched the Djoko match and the reception he got was luke warm in comparison to the one that Andy got.  The match thread truly must be the worst place to be when Andy has a dip in concentration or standards, people saying things like "embarrassing" etc.  Mayer came out in that third set swinging loosely with nothing to lose, tennis is very much momentum based but form is temporary and class is permanent and Andy has class in abundance both on and off the court.  Shock results happen ask Del Potro !!  Andy had a slight dip but got back on track with style.  Let's hope he has now "done his time" on Armstrong!!!!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 04:12 PM »

Champ found his extra gear in the 4th, and left Mayer dazed in the ditch by the side of the road.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray fights past Mayer « Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 09:49 PM »

Thanks boogers, unfortunalty unable to watch the match so was really keen to know how the match went. sounds like Andy was quite a way off his best but as you say his game dosent really suit LA so maybe thats part of it.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »