Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance

(Read 6135 times)
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #450 on: July 05, 2011, 08:46 PM »

I can't decide ... is he obnoxious? boring? what?  I thought I'd read he has a  couple of degrees? 
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #451 on: July 05, 2011, 08:47 PM »

Oh? Well, the haircut looked a million times better than I remember it, at least.
clap
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #452 on: July 05, 2011, 08:47 PM »

I can't decide ... is he obnoxious? boring? what?  I thought I'd read he has a  couple of degrees? 

Massively arrogant and loves the sound of his own voice. Contributes very little in the way of genuine tennis analysis - so perhaps the anchor role in the studio is actually the best place for him... Think
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #453 on: July 05, 2011, 08:48 PM »

clap

Plus, the bloke clearly had friends, so I think that rules you out.

Sorry.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #454 on: July 05, 2011, 08:49 PM »

Just before the Queen's final the other week, before the Beeb went on air, Castle carried the trophy across the court to use it for their introduction or something. He played up to the crowd whilst carrying it, holding it above his head like a champion (as if) and pretending to trip over. I sighed in disgust and willed him to trip over for real and impale his face on one of the fence posts surrounding the court. However, a bloke behind me chuckled, turned to his mate and said 'I like that Castle bloke, he's funny'.

It's lucky that I was keeping a low profile that day, or murder would have been committed there and then.
It's bad enough listening to the man but actually seeing him makes me feel slightly sick, so I can understand how you felt.  However, each to their own sense of humour ... Rolling Eyes

Massively arrogant and loves the sound of his own voice. Contributes very little in the way of genuine tennis analysis - so perhaps the anchor role in the studio is actually the best place for him... Think
Hmm - you could be right - but I'll really miss Sue, she's got such a lovely, bubbly personality.   I think she'll be a hard act to follow, whoever takes her place.

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #455 on: July 05, 2011, 08:49 PM »

He cut his tennis teeth in the US - he played the college circuit while he did an Economics degree. He burst onto the scene in about 85. He was our big hope. He actually took Mats Wilander to five sets at Wimbledon, losing the final one on a bagel when cramp set in.

My abiding memory of the stupid trollop is when he played Bates in the national finals on TV and he had a placard on his chair saying 'Say no to the poll tax'.

Focus on your tennis, you nob.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #456 on: July 05, 2011, 08:51 PM »

Sounds like he is not getting two thumbs up from the Murrayworlders then Very Happy
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #457 on: July 05, 2011, 11:59 PM »

Plus, the bloke clearly had friends, so I think that rules you out.

Sorry.
That's a little less witty and therefore does not warrant applause.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #458 on: July 06, 2011, 02:26 AM »

I found a couple of things by Peter Bodo who writes for Tennis.com and thought I would share.  The first on Andy points out some very good advice for naysayers.  And the article on Djokovic pointed out how he found his courage.  Andy needs to find his courage and go out on the court expecting to win, not fearing to lose.

On Andy:
Andy Murray doesn't owe anybody any explanations
The guy was in the semifinals for the third year in a row, which is a great result for the least senior member of tennis' Big Four. Once again, he had a big Wimbledon; do we need to say repeat again that Nadal made an absurdly low number of unforced errors (7) in their match?

On Djokovic on Losing the Fear
http://blogs.tennis.com/tennisworld/2011/07/tk-.html if you want to read the whole thing.

For Djokovic, today's match was the fruition of a long, enormous, ennervating process by which he had to overtake two men who were at their absolute peak at exactly the moment that Djokovic was trying to emerge and establish himself as a potential rival. If there was more than a glint of serendipity in Federer's debut during the end of the Pete Sampras era; the same could not be said for the task Djokovic faced at around the time he won his first major, the Australian Open of 2008.

"Well, we all know the careers of Nadal and Federer. We don't need to spend words again. They have been the two most dominant players in the world the last five years," Djokovic said after his win today. "They have won most of the majors we are playing on.

"So sometimes it did feel a little bit frustrating when you kind of get to the later stages of a Grand Slam, meaning last four, last eight, and then you have to meet them. They always come up with their best tennis when it matters the most.

"But, look, you know, it's a process of learning, a process of developing and improving as a tennis player, as a person, and just finding the way to mentally overcome those pressures and expectations and issues that you have.

"I always believed that I have quality to beat those two guys. I always believed I have quality to win majors, Grand Slams, and that was the only way I could be here in this position, you know. I mean, I have full respect for those two guys, what they have done. Anytime I play them, I mean, it's a great match. But the mental approach has to be positive. You know, (you tell yourself) I have to win this match. There's no other way."  Perhaps oddly, it all goes back to the winter of 2010, and that win by Serbia in the Davis Cup. A reporter who spoke with Djokovic's mother told him that she had said that Davis Cup triumph finally taught Djokovic to "play without fear."

"Well, if my mother says that, then it's like that, you know. There is nothing else I can say." Djokovic laughed along with everyone else at his analysis. But he went on in serious vein. "No, really, it is. . . After the Davis Cup win I was full of life, full of energy, eager to come back to the tennis court, eager to play some more, win some other tournaments. In a sentence, I lost my fear. I believed in my abilities more than ever. Australia was one of the best tournaments I played in my life."
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #459 on: July 06, 2011, 02:47 AM »

^ Very interesting.  Thanks. Smile

Article in yesterday's Daily Mail describing how Djoko could have become a footballer but became a tennis player instead purely by chance, and also what his coach Marian Vajda says about this year's success - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2011232/WIMBLEDON-2011-Novak-Djokovic-celebrates-world-No-1.html?ITO=1490

This is probably starting to bore everyone to death, but -

Murray confident of following Djokovic's blueprint all the way to Grand Slam glory

Novak Djokovic's astonishing form this year - which culminated in glory at Wimbledon - has given Andy Murray the belief that he too will one day win a Grand Slam.

'I always enjoy the grass-court season.' ... 'It's been a good month and great playing in front of a home crowd. The support has been amazing. I just wish I could have ended it a bit better. But it's up to me to come back stronger than ever - and I will.

Full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2011034/WIMBLEDON-2011-Novak-Djokovic-inspiration-says-Andy-Murray.html#ixzz1RHswHJZ7

[ Last edit by Aileen July 06, 2011, 03:22 AM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #460 on: July 06, 2011, 07:49 AM »

That's it then! All Andy needs to do is win the Davis Cup with Britain!

Let's all hold our breath.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #461 on: July 06, 2011, 07:57 AM »

Think I posted something which stated that she was going to retire as "anchor" next year, but don't recall if anyone had firm confirmation that Castle is the #1 Candidate ...?

He may not be no 1 candidate to replace Barker, but one of the strong suggested options.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #462 on: July 06, 2011, 08:07 AM »

He may not be no 1 candidate to replace Barker, but one of the strong suggested options.

Let's hope there are no attractive young Asians in the studio for him to grope:

IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #463 on: July 06, 2011, 09:03 AM »

All I want to say is that I am glad that Wimbledon is over, as I had to watch most of Andy's matches with the mute button on as to me Castle talks a load of s.... he can talk a good game but has never been able to play one, which shows by his world ranking. So glad now that I will be able to watch the rest of the year's tennis on sky and not listen to Lloyd or that arse Castle.
Talking of hitting the mute button, the worst commentator for me has to be Ronald McIntosh, I cannot stand listening to him, he spoils the athletics for me as well.   Sticking tongue out.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray frozen out by Nadal brilliance « Reply #464 on: July 06, 2011, 10:34 AM »

Somebody mentioned Andy not thanking his fans for his support at Wimbledon (can't be bothered to look at the moment to find the post) and said it was unusual for Andy not to do so.  Well, just came across this on FB

Andy Murray commented on fb.head-racquetsports-hosting.com.
Thanks for all your messages over Wimbledon, really appreciate it. See you in Glasgow for Davis Cup maybe? Smile

So, he hasn't forgotten his fans at all Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] 32 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »