Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic

(Read 4494 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #135 on: June 01, 2012, 06:43 PM »

I do not agree with that at all, Andy is a fascinating sports celebrity, he does not want to conform, he is an individual and that is why people like him, he bucked the trend of stereotypical tennis players by coming from a small town in Scotland and being immensely talented at a game that is usually for the privalidged.  I want to k ow more about him, he is likeable, down to earth, normal, humble and not up his own backside like certain others in the top four.  He cannot keep a low profile he is a marketable commodity with sponsorship deals to maintain.  Your comment about likening him to the life of Diana is a little bit OTT and bears no relevance.  He took some harsh comments off a bitter old ex pro he wasn't happy about it and let the media know - too right.  It won't affect his campaign, he surrounds himself with a team of people in whom he has confidence and trust, they will support him and look after him.

It's not that Diana was a bad person or anything but when you are constantly under the limelight and under pressure, you are going to get confused and it's going to make you take wrong decisions. I just don't want Andy to go down to that road. There's a possibility there if Andy let's this bother him. He can't avoid things fully but he can certainly avoid many unnecessary things.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #136 on: June 01, 2012, 06:47 PM »

Emma Jean players are required to do post match press conferences.  And there's no way that #4 player in the world can avoid the media.  By and large Andy has got better at dealing with them but the very fact he is still ill at ease so much of the time belies the fools who say he is an attention seeker.   

Andy will have to do the press conferences and frankly, there's nothing wrong with it. But he can certainly afford to avoid all other things. He simply can't please all the people so the best strategy is to learn to control damages. Just do what’s necessary. And he’ll be able to do it if he really wants to. What's going on right now is very career damaging and a true fan wouldn't want to ignite things. Fans are good as long as they understand what's best for them.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #137 on: June 01, 2012, 06:50 PM »

Andy will have to do the press conferences and frankly, there's nothing wrong with it. But he can certainly afford to avoid all other things. He simply can't please all the people so the best strategy is to learn to control damages. Just do what’s necessary. And he’ll be able to do it if he really wants to. What's going on right now is very career damaging and a true fan wouldn't want to ignite things. Fans are good as long as they understand what's best for them.
But it's the press conferences that most of the media reports are based on EJ.  If you read more than one paper like I do you find the same quotes appearing in them.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #138 on: June 01, 2012, 07:07 PM »

But it's the press conferences that most of the media reports are based on EJ.  If you read more than one paper like I do you find the same quotes appearing in them.

That's why Andy needs to keep to the minimum at the PC and find out a better strategy how not to react to certain questions. Media loves drama so obviously they would put the questions in that way. If you are smart, you will recognize it and find a way to avoid it. It's a technique that most players should employ especially those who are easily the raw target for the mass. Pete was so boring in his press conference and pretty much had the same answer for almost all the matches (lol) but that's how it should have been. There's a lot to learn from the past greats like Sampras, Borg, Laver, Lendl etc. They were much bigger players with really low profile. If Andy doesn't enjoy it, then he can certainly be like one of them. Right now, I am not sure where Andy truly stands in all this.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #139 on: June 01, 2012, 07:16 PM »

I can't believe all the fuss over this.  I have seen this happen in a tennis match countless times. If it was "anyone but Andy", everyone would be saying what a great comeback etc etc.  Instead it is any excuse for the Andy-haters to bring the knives out.  I dare say if you looked at the foreign press the reporting would be different .

I just ignore the london based Andy-haters in the press frankly, as in global terms let's face it they are basically the conference division of tennis expertise and knowledge, despite what they may pretend otherwise. Our tennis media are about as uncultured as they come. Even the yanks are better!

He will play tomorrow and be absolutely fine I hope.  I care more about wimby, so I just want to see him come through here OK.

Queens participation may be doubtful, though he won't pull out lightly given he is the biggest name left there now.  However I have my doubts.  Having said that he could go on and win the tournament....!

I don’t live in that country but even if I did I am sure I would have been able to avoid most of the garbage as it truly doesn’t interest me. What interest me is the objective reports based on facts and least on opinions and after reading a couple of lines, you should be able to tell if it’s worth reading or not.

But clearly people are easily fed into that stuff as well so much can you truly blame the media, really.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #140 on: June 01, 2012, 07:17 PM »

With all due respect Emma.. Sampras, Borg, Laver, Lendl etc. did not have to contend with the voracious immediacy of multii-media back in those days.
Wonder how they would have coped if they had such intense spotlight such as Andy?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #141 on: June 01, 2012, 07:28 PM »

and Sampras was the ultimate boring player.  Thank God Andy hasn't emulated him and is just being himself.  I wouldn't want it any other way.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #142 on: June 01, 2012, 07:31 PM »

Andy is second on Court 1 Saturday, around noon.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #143 on: June 01, 2012, 07:31 PM »

With all due respect Emma.. Sampras, Borg, Laver, Lendl etc. did not have to contend with the voracious immediacy of multii-media back in those days.
Wonder how they would have coped if they had such intense spotlight such as Andy?

They would have handled it pretty well I am sure. Look at the way Lendl handled himself so far ever since he became a coach of Andy.  Andy doesn't play his card right. He could very well use the media to his advantage. In a business world, we are always told to make our weaknesses as our strength and there are strategies to do that. Not everyone is born perfect and not everyone's life is easy. It’s the survival of the fittest after all and those who learn fast can survive the longest.  
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #144 on: June 01, 2012, 07:32 PM »

and Sampras was the ultimate boring player.  Thank God Andy hasn't emulated him and is just being himself.  I wouldn't want it any other way.

And with that mindset, no on can argue and Andy deserves to be where he is right now. That’s also when all is said and done.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #145 on: June 01, 2012, 07:35 PM »

I am so appalled with our Media.  Virginia Wade said that Andy was acting like a Drama Queen She should be supporting the only englishman in the top 10. She should lose her job it was awlful. andy was angered by her comments she should have found out first what the problems where.
What are these past players thinking is it jealousy that they did not do as well. I find this appalling, no other country does this to their top players.

i really feel for Andy what can he do. perhaps lendl should say something.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #146 on: June 01, 2012, 07:45 PM »

Oh No jdonald.     I don't think there is an englishman in the top 10 for her to support.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #147 on: June 01, 2012, 07:48 PM »

I've just tweeted Neil Harman. I asked 'If I wrote a feature, 'Why Britain should love Andy Murray', would The Times look at publishing it?

If I get a positive response, I WILL write the article.

Write it anyway, someone will publish it especially after the frauder article.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #148 on: June 01, 2012, 08:00 PM »

It seems VW has closed her website unable to send emails.

And Andy doesnt have much support ??????
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #149 on: June 01, 2012, 08:13 PM »

Neil Harman reportedly said this on ITV -

Murray is ... a hypochondriac

Murray is ... melodramatic

Murray ... likes to be the centre of attention and cannot stand to just be one of the players

Murray ... would not quit with Lendl in attendance and looking on

Quite frankly I am disgusted with Harman.

Nothing like this in his column/article in the paper. He was very supportive and critical of VW so a bit confused. Neil is normally very supportive of Andy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »