Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic

(Read 5574 times)
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #150 on: June 01, 2012, 08:18 PM »

That's why he needs to stay away from the media as much as possible and keep things to the minimum. I am completely fine with not reading anything about Andy as long as he plays good tennis and puts on a great tennis show. Keeping a very low profile is perfectly doable but sometimes I wonder if he's heading in the same as Diana did who I thought was an utter fool.  You don’t want to make one too many bad decisions to the point it costs your life, mental and physical health. At one point, you should stop, think and you learn.

Yes Emma Jean, to quote the school playground saying "sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me" I think Andy needs to stop feeding the media and let his Tennis do the talking.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #151 on: June 01, 2012, 08:56 PM »

jus saw this

Murray lied his way (badly) thru this presser for why I dont know.  an embarrassing tissue of lies from start to finish he looked and sounded guilty as hell.  He just spouted a load of utter tripe and looked for all the world like a kid caught red handed stealing a bar of chocolate.
You're talking rubbish Steve.  I see no lying in what Andy said.  I do not think much to the after game interviews at all anyway.
IP Logged
frewbuddie

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #152 on: June 01, 2012, 09:06 PM »

I am so appalled with our Media.  Virginia Wade said that Andy was acting like a Drama Queen She should be supporting the only englishman in the top 10. She should lose her job it was awlful. andy was angered by her comments she should have found out first what the problems where.
What are these past players thinking is it jealousy that they did not do as well. I find this appalling, no other country does this to their top players.

i really feel for Andy what can he do. perhaps lendl should say something.

The only Scotsman in the top ten maybe if Andy was English she would treat him with more respect.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #153 on: June 02, 2012, 12:21 AM »

Nothing like this in his column/article in the paper. He was very supportive and critical of VW so a bit confused. Neil is normally very supportive of Andy.
I did say "reportedly", because I never heard any of it, and I'm as surprised as you are.  It's very possible that, as so often happens, the comments were taken out of context, probably by someone who doesn't like Andy, and so twisted to suit their own malicious ends.

You're talking rubbish Steve.  I see no lying in what Andy said.  I do not think much to the after game interviews at all anyway.
I agree.  In fact I thought Andy behaved remarkably well in what were very trying circumstances.  Also like you I don't rate these interviews of players within minutes of coming off court too highly since they mostly churn out the same old things, and for that I don't blame them.
[ Last edit by Aileen June 02, 2012, 12:29 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #154 on: June 02, 2012, 06:46 AM »

Andy is not going to change any time soon and good I say! If Andy is a bit of a "Drama Queen" so what? Many, other players are too, don't people who criticise Andy watch much tennis or something? Or do they only watch whatever Andy does with a microscope in hand and an "I'm so perfect" expression on their faces?   
These  people  are way too critical of the way Andy  behaves. They should go find a robot to support. They'd clearly be a lot happier, or is it continually putting people down, they enjoy?
Some of the British press just exists to drag everybody down into the gutter. A proportion of the Great British Public loves to join in and throw stones too.
It's a funny old world.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #155 on: June 02, 2012, 06:55 AM »

Andy is not going to change any time soon and good I say! If Andy is a bit of a "Drama Queen" so what? Many, other players are too, don't people who criticise Andy watch much tennis or something? Or do they only watch whatever Andy does with a microscope in hand and an "I'm so perfect" expression on their faces?   
These  people  are way too critical of the way Andy  behaves. They should go find a robot to support. They'd clearly be a lot happier, or is it continually putting people down, they enjoy?
Some of the British press just exists to drag everybody down into the gutter. A proportion of the Great British Public loves to join in and throw stones too.
It's a funny old world.

I quite agree BBH!
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #156 on: June 02, 2012, 07:05 AM »

Well said blueberryhill! - Thank goodness for a little personality in tennis or any sport.

Hope Andy expresses his anger on the court tomorrow. Alas, I'll have to catch the replay. But I also hope the back is fine. Come on!! 
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #157 on: June 02, 2012, 07:40 AM »

I came across this today.  Some interesting points from Tiger tender

Where has your reputation for being boring come from?

The media in this country blow things out of proportion. When I started playing professionally, I was trying to deflect the press attention and keep things in perspective. That was my way of dealing with it. When people asked me a question, I ended up giving the right answer rather than the honest one as my way of keeping things as calm as possible.

Do you regret not being more honest?

Yes, in hindsight I do. When you’re 21 and have to face a situation like that, you learn as you go along. Looking back, I would have done things differently.

Like what?

I’d have been more honest – not that I was lying, I wasn’t – but I could have been more open. I’ve never been interested in all the attention that goes with the game off-court, though. It’s just not in my personality to pursue fame.

Is it helpful when people yell ‘Come on, Tim’ at you?

Ha, ha. There are times when they’re all screaming ‘Come on’ at me and I want to turn round and say: ‘Do you think I missed that shot on purpose?’ In matches, you don’t hear individual comments – 15,000 people going nuts for you is amazing. You hear individuals more when you’re warming up. I was in Australia earlier this year and some girl shouted: ‘Do it for Chiswick.’ I was thinking: ‘Why the hell are you shouting that?’

Is Andrew Murray the new Tim Henman?

No, he wants to be the first Andy Murray. He’s a fantastic player. He’s a good example of why I was careful about making comments in interviews. He had a bad match in Australia and jokingly said he was playing like a woman. It was taken out of context by the press and became a big distraction for him when he was going into a grand slam.

Do people always expect British players to win Wimbledon?

It’s a benchmark. When I started out, people would have been ecstatic if I made it into the Top 100. But then they think ‘he’s got to be in the Top 50’ then it’s the Top 20, Top 10 and I got up to number four. Maybe that’s as good as I was meant to be – but if there are only three people on the planet who are better than you, then I don’t think that’s doing too badly.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/showbiz/interviews/11548-60-second-interview-tim-henman#ixzz1wcCrpta9

Andy, you carry on being Andy Murray and it will be my pleasure to continue to watch and enjoy, without judgement yes  
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #158 on: June 02, 2012, 07:44 AM »

I did say "reportedly", because I never heard any of it, and I'm as surprised as you are.  It's very possible that, as so often happens, the comments were taken out of context, probably by someone who doesn't like Andy, and so twisted to suit their own malicious ends.

I'm afraid I listened to every word Neil harman said and was absolutely appalled.  Like you, I have thought in the past that he was very supportive of Andy - I'm afraid I have now changed my mind.

The other journalist interviewed - whose name escapes me - was far more supportive.  I think it was Inverdale who suggested that Andy likes to be the 'centre of attention' - I would say that nothing is further from the truth - he hates all the media attention whereas Fed and Djoko just lap it up.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #159 on: June 02, 2012, 10:51 AM »

I'm afraid I listened to every word Neil harman said and was absolutely appalled.  Like you, I have thought in the past that he was very supportive of Andy - I'm afraid I have now changed my mind.

The other journalist interviewed - whose name escapes me - was far more supportive.  I think it was Inverdale who suggested that Andy likes to be the 'centre of attention' - I would say that nothing is further from the truth - he hates all the media attention whereas Fed and Djoko just lap it up.
It was Paul Newman of Independent Alis.  I read that as well as the Guardian and he's always v fair towards Andy.  Called Virginia Creeper's remarks absurd today.  But he also did advise Andy not to show his pain on court - which is fine when it's a little niggle but really there was no way he could disguise it from his opponent on Thursday so I felt that wasn't really called for in this particular situation.
And agree with bbh, it's partly because Andy does not fit the template many middle class English tennis fans would fashion for him that I love him so much.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #160 on: June 02, 2012, 04:33 PM »

Yes Andy will never please everyone as you say Ruthie he does not fit the image of what middle class English tennis fans. He is who he is and should not change warts and all. He is Scottish and we Scots are not the same as the English. We are probably not as outgoing as our English friends and tend to keep to ourselves.But that does not mean we cannnot get upset or angry when people are talking rubbish about us.
Andy is unique and I would not want him to change.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #161 on: June 02, 2012, 07:03 PM »

Another slam, another Murray 'injury' drama. I can't recall the last grand slam in which Murray did not claim to be suffering from some injury, or putting on a dying swan act and saying he might not continue in the tournament. Virginia Wade quite rightly described Murray as a 'drama queen' today, and clearly finds Murray's play acting pretty pathetic.

Does anyone seriously think that there would have been any of this nonsense had Murray made a better start to the match? Murray's psychological frailty stems from the pressure he feels because he has not won a slam. It's like every slam he feels the need to engineer some way to take the pressure and expectation off himself.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #162 on: June 02, 2012, 07:08 PM »

MT why on earth did you put the above quote on again? It doesn't deserve house room.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #163 on: June 02, 2012, 07:22 PM »

Like watching Gerry McCann!!! I suppose you have a conspiracy theory about that, too, do you?
Steve you are a sicko dragging a tragic child abduction into an argument about tennis.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray goes from geriatric to ballistic « Reply #164 on: June 02, 2012, 07:40 PM »

Neil Harman has written very pompous articles in the Times about Andy's facial hair and how it shows disrespect for Wimbledon - bit of a snob and inconsistent supporting Andy one day and not the next. Fairweather friend I reckon.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »