Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray grinds out win 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray grinds out win

(Read 1287 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Murray grinds out win « on: March 25, 2013, 09:58 PM »

Andy Murray came from 2-5 and set point down to beat the 29th seed Grigor Dimitrov 7-6(3), 6-3, in a match remarkably similar to their previous encounter in the Brisbane final.

The Bulgarian provided a far tougher contest than Murray’s opening match, but after double faulting thrice when trying to serve out the first set, the match started to turn and the second seed fought back to seal his place in the fourth round. It wasn’t a pretty performance from the British number one, but after another slow start he stepped it up and got the job done in straight sets.

Dimitrov showed his firepower from the off, bringing up a break point after a couple of flashy winners from 40-0 down. But Murray’s resilience came to the fore, and he fended off the danger to get on to the board.

Both players had started strong and it was signified by the stunning rally at the start of the third game, ultimately ending with a Murray volley drifting into the tramlines. The Scot responded with a trademark passing shot winner a couple of points later as both players tried to assert their dominance.

Read more (602 words)
But, as in Brisbane, it was the young Bulgarian who made the first move. Taking advantage of a double fault from Murray, he earned himself another break point opportunity and this time he did take it; pouncing on a short second serve and forcing Murray well behind the baseline, before firing a powerful forehand beyond the Brit.

Dimitrov looked to be cruising as he moved 40-0 up in the following service game, but a double fault seemed to throw him off and he quickly found himself down break point. The 29th seed responded positively but another stunning passing shot from Murray forced a second break point, and a wild volley from Dimitrov allowed Murray to break straight back.

The Bulgarian’s aggression continued to force Murray beyond the baseline as the Brit struggled to live with his raw power. Dimitrov was dictating with his forehand, and after earning yet more break points he regained the lead with a beautiful drop shot and touch volley combo. And this time he did consolidate, holding to love to open up a 5-2 lead. The Scot seemed to be at a loss, and a missed smash followed by a double fault opened up a set point for the Bulgarian. But he staved off the danger with some brilliant defensive play, forcing Dimitrov to serve for the set.

But as against Djokovic in Indian Wells two weeks ago, the Bulgarian got tight. Alarm bells were ringing as he found himself down 0-30, and although he seemed to have rescued it at 30-30, a double fault put him straight back in danger. A missed forehand from Murray seemed to let him off the hook, but consecutive double faults allowed Murray back into the set. This time the Brit followed it up with a straight-forward hold, and the match was all square at 5-5.

A hold apiece saw the set head to a tie-break, much as in their most recent meeting in Brisbane. This one proved to be a lot closer however, with both players neck and neck at the change of ends. But it was Murray who took control, taking the breaker 7-3 after a third consecutive Dimitrov error.

The US Open champion started the second set far stronger than the second, and this time it was he who looked to take the early initiative. Dimitrov fended off a couple of break points with some good net play, but Murray was relentless and the Bulgarian eventually netted on the third. 

Dimitrov was desperately trying to find a way back into the match, but Murray’s serve was finally making an appearance, and the Brit eventually held for 3-0 after a marathon game. The Bulgarian seemed to be running out of fight, and a couple of lacklustre errors at 4-1 handed Murray break points to effectively seal the match. But Dimitrov managed to dig his way out of trouble, aided by a net cord winner, to keep his hopes hanging by a thread.

The Scot wasn’t easing up, and after an hour and 50 minutes he found himself with two match points. But just when the match seemed to be over, there was some late drama. Dimitrov hit a beautiful lob on the first match point, and following a double fault on the second, Murray then found himself break point down. But his serve once again came to the rescue, firing down his ninth ace before eventually sealing the win after a Dimitrov error.

In the fourth round Murray will face the 16th seed Andreas Seppi. These two haven’t contested since 2010, with Murray holding a 4-1 lead in the head-to-head.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter March 26, 2013, 12:03 AM ] IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 10:09 PM »

did well mentally to tough out those big moments....not very pretty though, relied on dimitrov missing. Dangerous tactic should they meet in a major in the next 18 months...those shots might go in.
IP Logged
AndyLover
Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 10:26 PM »

Hmmm... he was looking fine today. His ass, his legs... divine. Grigor and his chicken legs do not compare! Check out this video! Andy and his hotness. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrh....

[ Last edit by Mark March 25, 2013, 10:29 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:29 PM »

Hmmm... he was looking fine today. His ass, his legs... divine. Grigor and his chicken legs do not compare! Check out this video! Andy and his hotness. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrh....

OMG.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 10:31 PM »

Great match report MH - sums up the ebbs and flows of the match nicely. Against any other player I'd have been willing Dimitrov on to make that set point. Sure he'll have more chances like this though. Andy served well when he needed to - and Dimitrov gave him a few gifts. At least he should be "played in" to the tournament now!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 10:35 PM »

Pervert........mmmm hold on a minute that was quite nice lol. Audie have you seen this???
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 10:36 PM »

Pervert........mmmm hold on a minute that was quite nice lol. Audie have you seen this???

Angie I sent you a message Frown Please read it.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 10:41 PM »

Not the best of performances from Andy, but a win is a win.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 10:43 PM »

Not the best of performances from Andy, but a win is a win.

Never mind that prod have a swatch at them pics above lol you men on this forum better race to your local gym quick smart.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 10:44 PM »

Never mind that prod have a swatch at them pics above lol you men on this forum better race to your local gym quick smart.

I'm signing up for the gym.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 10:44 PM »

Lol I think I need more than just a gym to get like that, I need a miracle.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 10:49 PM »

Lol I think I need more than just a gym to get like that, I need a miracle.

I'm gonna print them pics off and stick them all over the house to inspire my hubby!!! Ha he also needs a miracle.......sorry hubby  hug thank Christ hes not on here.  w00t
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 10:51 PM »

Lmao. I am inspired I just can't get under this bleeding weight I'm at now, no matter what I do!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 11:30 PM »

Great Match Report, MH.

Some nervy stuff from Andy in the 1st set, and tbh more a choke from Dimotrov than a win for Andy there, but hey.. I'll take it.
2nd set was more settled, but a bit of a lull from Andy mid-way.

Got the job done and I'm happy for Dimitrov to be a 'warm-up' for Andy in any tournament from hereonin.

Grigor has the goods, though. Needs to work on his shot selection.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray grinds out win « Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 12:01 AM »

Dimitrov is so mental though Andy was going to pick up the pieces at some point during the match.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »