Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray grinds past Tsonga 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray grinds past Tsonga

(Read 3013 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #105 on: June 15, 2011, 05:12 PM »

It is interesting if you look at Andy's latest update on facebook (he is hitting at wimby this afternoon on one of the outside courts with flick lopez) and compare it to Rafa's after he arrived in the UK and went grocery shopping, it is phenomenal in terms of the level of interest and support they get.  Rafa's post has 5296 comments and 23,803 likes in about 3 hours, whilst Andy's provoked 114 comments and about 640 likes in about half that time!
And I wonder how many of those likes and comments are from teenage girls with a crush on Nadal? This isn't the place to say it but Andy just isn't your typical crushable guy.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #106 on: June 15, 2011, 05:16 PM »

And I wonder how many of those likes and comments are from teenage girls with a crush on Nadal? This isn't the place to say it but Andy just isn't your typical crushable guy.

Well I defer to the ladies on that one.....LOL
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #107 on: June 15, 2011, 07:36 PM »

I havent seen anything which says Tsonga was p***ed by the shot. Andy did say in his blog after the match about people using twitter to stir things up and and make out that tennis players are all arguing with each other off court (or words to that effect) maybe someone has tried to stir things with him and Tsonga.  He made a point of saying he gets on well with Jo-Wilfred and others. Also bought 2 papers following his win both were very complimentary about his "trick shot" and about the way he came back to win the match.  I think Andy comes across as a dour Scot because he is naturally shy in the lime light and when facing the press this is why we always see the best of him when he is feeling particularly great about himself ie on Monday. He is a nice guy who chooses to "hide his light under a bushel" and is probably not to impressed that someone caught him on camera chatting to a Big Issue seller and handing over some notes in London on Monday night (article in the mail today)  Unfortunately the Andy bashers will twist that too. What can he do about it ? Who knows.  For those of us on MW though I think the answer is to ignore it and just keep supporting Andy.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #108 on: June 15, 2011, 07:49 PM »

I havent seen anything which says Tsonga was p***ed by the shot.

I saw it in the Metro.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #109 on: June 15, 2011, 07:51 PM »

I saw it in the Metro.
I also read it in another rag but can't for the life of me remember
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #110 on: June 15, 2011, 07:57 PM »

JO Wil is out of eastbourne.
IP Logged
Rosie
Junior

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #111 on: June 16, 2011, 12:22 AM »

I hope that Andy gets a professional haircut soon, as it's beginning to get a bit wild again ! He needs to look his best for when he wins Wimbledon ! I read somewhere that he cuts his own hair ? Surely that can't be true ?
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #112 on: June 16, 2011, 01:11 AM »

I hope that Andy gets a professional haircut soon, as it's beginning to get a bit wild again ! He needs to look his best for when he wins Wimbledon ! I read somewhere that he cuts his own hair ? Surely that can't be true ?
Well he did cut it when he was in the french open.I think Daren Cahill may have encouraged that though.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #113 on: June 16, 2011, 03:06 PM »

JO Wil is out of eastbourne.
Shame Jo-W T. crashed out. As did James Ward to "Tipsy". A shame that for James too after such a good week!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #114 on: June 17, 2011, 12:27 PM »

Hey Joe, I spotted a man in the crowd sporting a very fine moustache! It must have been you! Whistle I loved it when Andy thanked everyone for coming and said he hoped not too many of your bosses had spotted you on the tv! I immediately thought of you and Ruthie of course! It must have been worth the risk though to see him lift that trophy into the air!........Magic! I'm so glad he won!
Sorry to have taken so long. It was just wonderful to be there.  Like Joe I was able to roll in without hassle and didn't even have to queue for a ticket as just had to flash the email on my phone at them.  
Btw Joe was it you who shouted Muzza as they started?
Had a great seat, diagonally behind the server 7 rows back. According to the woman sitting next me, who had been much more scientific and had looked for what would be one of the most expensive seats, it would normally have cost over £100!   Perfect position to watch the tennis though not close enough for my camera to get good close up shots [so not up to MW standards but nice to have them for myself and thanks Daisy for reminding me to take my camera as I'd have forgotten otherwise I think].
I thought JWT played so well in the first set that I really thought he'd win. Andy wasn't near his best - not surprising when I learned later he'd been up most of the night after his burglar alarm went off [do hope he's had it fixed before Wimby!].  But I was so impressed with how Andy patiently hung on in there and gradually took over (and didn't get frustrated by all those unconverted break points) and then in the end those lovely fun shots which showed how relaxed he was.
 Funnily enough it was much less heart in boots than when watching on TV.  Not sure if that was because Andy seemed calm and relaxed most of the time.  Or because you do feel you can influence things by shouting.  And shout I did.  There were a couple of us with loud voices in my section.  I don't suppose any of you heard me shout 'come on Mr Magic' 2-3 times?  Got some funny looks!  And it was so good to be among thousands of Andy fans.  Of course a few people were supporting JW which was fair enough as I think he's a lovely guy and a great player.  But you felt it was because they genuinely supported him rather than were anti-Andy.  Have the English finally taken Andy to their hearts???? It was good to see the standing ovation from the Queens members when he walked on court .
I was very struck by how tall Andy looks in real life but also surprisingly slight given how strong he is.  I read in the FT interview that he loses a lot of weight during a season.  Perhaps he's moving better again now because he's lighter?
I was able to stay till the end and hear Andy's speech. And I wasn't even late for where I had to be later that pm.  So all in all it was a wonderful day and I felt so happy and privileged to be present when Andy won his first title of the year.    yay

Oh and just having quickly read through the thread. Re that shot:  I think he and JWT get on very well. Could you imagine Fed playing ping pong with Andy during a rain delay?  They didn't look like guys about to beat the hell out of each other on a tennis court.  Seems to me JWT took it in good part and certainly didn't feel disrespected by it.
[ Last edit by Ruthie June 17, 2011, 12:38 PM ] IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #115 on: June 17, 2011, 01:29 PM »

Sorry to have taken so long. It was just wonderful to be there.  Like Joe I was able to roll in without hassle and didn't even have to queue for a ticket as just had to flash the email on my phone at them.  
Btw Joe was it you who shouted Muzza as they started?
Had a great seat, diagonally behind the server 7 rows back. According to the woman sitting next me, who had been much more scientific and had looked for what would be one of the most expensive seats, it would normally have cost over £100!   Perfect position to watch the tennis though not close enough for my camera to get good close up shots [so not up to MW standards but nice to have them for myself and thanks Daisy for reminding me to take my camera as I'd have forgotten otherwise I think].
I thought JWT played so well in the first set that I really thought he'd win. Andy wasn't near his best - not surprising when I learned later he'd been up most of the night after his burglar alarm went off [do hope he's had it fixed before Wimby!].  But I was so impressed with how Andy patiently hung on in there and gradually took over (and didn't get frustrated by all those unconverted break points) and then in the end those lovely fun shots which showed how relaxed he was.
 Funnily enough it was much less heart in boots than when watching on TV.  Not sure if that was because Andy seemed calm and relaxed most of the time.  Or because you do feel you can influence things by shouting.  And shout I did.  There were a couple of us with loud voices in my section.  I don't suppose any of you heard me shout 'come on Mr Magic' 2-3 times?  Got some funny looks!  And it was so good to be among thousands of Andy fans.  Of course a few people were supporting JW which was fair enough as I think he's a lovely guy and a great player.  But you felt it was because they genuinely supported him rather than were anti-Andy.  Have the English finally taken Andy to their hearts???? It was good to see the standing ovation from the Queens members when he walked on court .
I was very struck by how tall Andy looks in real life but also surprisingly slight given how strong he is.  I read in the FT interview that he loses a lot of weight during a season.  Perhaps he's moving better again now because he's lighter?
I was able to stay till the end and hear Andy's speech. And I wasn't even late for where I had to be later that pm.  So all in all it was a wonderful day and I felt so happy and privileged to be present when Andy won his first title of the year.    yay

Oh and just having quickly read through the thread. Re that shot:  I think he and JWT get on very well. Could you imagine Fed playing ping pong with Andy during a rain delay?  They didn't look like guys about to beat the hell out of each other on a tennis court.  Seems to me JWT took it in good part and certainly didn't feel disrespected by it.

I didn't shout - I kept my head down! lol I think I got away with the whole thing though as nothing has been mentioned at work since then!

I think I actually heard someone shouting 'Come on Mr Magic' a couple of times! Smile

By the way, do you remember a point early in the 3rd set when someone (I think he was French) shouted out just as Tsonga was about to serve and Leyani had to ask for quiet? That idiot was right behind me and was told to shut up by a few disaffected punters! lol
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #116 on: June 17, 2011, 02:13 PM »

I didn't shout - I kept my head down! lol I think I got away with the whole thing though as nothing has been mentioned at work since then!

I think I actually heard someone shouting 'Come on Mr Magic' a couple of times! Smile

By the way, do you remember a point early in the 3rd set when someone (I think he was French) shouted out just as Tsonga was about to serve and Leyani had to ask for quiet? That idiot was right behind me and was told to shut up by a few disaffected punters! lol
Glad you got away with it Joe!  And great that 'Mr Magic' carried.  Yes I do remember that point.  Such a stupid thing to do.  I'm always quiet once they start preparing to serve.  But I'm a right rowdy when they're between points.  w00t
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #117 on: June 17, 2011, 02:29 PM »

Ha ha well done Ruthie......sounds like you both had a great time. I'll bet the atmosphere was 'something else'! I never heard you shout Ruthie, but I'm going to watch the re run and I'll listen out for you this time! What was the crowd reaction around you both when Andy done his 'trick shot'?
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #118 on: June 17, 2011, 02:43 PM »

Thanks for the blog Ruthie! Glad you had such a great time and got to see oor boy win the title for the 2nd time!  kicking kicking
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray grinds past Tsonga « Reply #119 on: June 17, 2011, 02:56 PM »

Ha ha well done Ruthie......sounds like you both had a great time. I'll bet the atmosphere was 'something else'! I never heard you shout Ruthie, but I'm going to watch the re run and I'll listen out for you this time! What was the crowd reaction around you both when Andy done his 'trick shot'?

Delighted amazement.

In fact, the support for him was excellent all match. The number of clenched fists and cheers around me when he won vital points was great to see. Don't let it be said that the English don't like Andy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »