Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray grits out win against Granollers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray grits out win against Granollers

(Read 372 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Murray grits out win against Granollers « on: August 07, 2013, 09:06 PM »

Andy Murray successfully returned to competitive action today, beating 36th ranked Marcel Granollers 6-4, 7-6(2) in the second round of the Rogers Cup.

Playing his first match since the Wimbledon final, the world number 2 showed understandable signs of rust. Although the windy conditions proved tricky, Murray started the first set well, comfortably dictating with a display of controlled aggression from the back of the court. Although the Scot's unforced errors began to accumulate in the second set, he responded positively and overturned a 2-5 deficit to claim the match in a convincing tiebreak.

Murray began the first set with an aggressive intent, while the 27-year-old Spaniard could be accused of playing a little too passively at times. The first break point opportunity went to Murray in the third game following a loose backhand error into the net from Granollers. He converted at the first time of asking after chasing down a dropshot and feathering it back over the net; in reply, the Spanish number 6 tried in vain to lob Murray but his shot landed wide to give the British number 1 a 2-1 lead.

* 1071488-17101322-640-360.jpg (33.39 KB. 630x354 - viewed 9858 times.)

Murray followed this up with a convincing love hold and kept the pressure on Granollers, forcing a break point opportunity in the next game. The Spaniard saved the first with some impressive netplay, showcasing the skills that have seen him forge a successful doubles career. But he soon found himself in trouble again after a double fault, although managed to salvage the situation, this time with a strong serve that Murray struggled to return. Granollers faced another a break point after an impressive backhand down the line winner from Murray. This time, however, the world number 2 converted thanks to a return that just clipped the line followed by a searing forehand into the corner.

At 4-1 to Murray, the match began to change. From 30-0 up, he soon found himself facing a break point after a forehand failed to find the court, no doubt at least partly due to the windy conditions. A lengthy rally punctuated by a powerful backhand down the line that Granollers only just managed to reach, followed by aggressive crosscourt groundstrokes, levelled the score to deuce. A routine forehand miss in the next point though meant that he was in danger once more. But again the score was brought back to deuce as Granollers failed to capitalise on his opportunity, netting a routine shot. But a Murray double fault brought up another break point; and this time the Spaniard converted thanks to Murray's forehand clipping the top of the net and sailing long.

The next three games went with serve, and Murray then served for the set at 5-4. Despite finding himself in a degree of danger at 30-all, a good serve followed by a strong forehand in the corner earned him a set point opportunity which he took after Granollers' backhand sailed wide.

More unforced errors creeped into Murray's game in the second set. The first three games went with serve, but the world number 2 found himself in trouble in the fourth game. A double fault, followed by a point where the wind completely changed the trajectory of the ball, saw Murray at 15-30 down. Although he won the next point, a strong Granollers backhand yielded a netted response and it was break point again. A Murray shanked forehand, aided again by the tricky conditions, saw Granollers break for 3-1.

The next four games went with serve, although Murray had chances at 30-all in a Granollers service game and Granollers pegged Murray to 40-all in the next game. The momentum shift, though, happened when Granollers was serving for the set. The Spaniard displayed some wonderful serve and volley tennis in this game, which awarded him two set point opportunities. But Murray settled down, cut out his baseline errors, and moved Granollers around the baseline, forcing him into a backhand error. A Murray backhand was called long in the next point but a Hawkeye challenge overturned the call and Murray forced a breakpoint thanks to a wonderful return followed by a highly impressive passing shot. He broke serve following a rally where he successfully mixed up the pace before firing a forehand winner into the corner.

Having levelled the score, Murray held impressively although wasn't able to do anything on the Spaniard's next service game. Although Granollers brought the score back to deuce as Murray served to stay in the set for a second time at 6-5, a short angled volley saw Murray set up a game point. He converted after a Granollers lob sailed long, and sent the match into a tiebreak.

It is often the case that the best players really step up their level of play in the tiebreak; today was no exception. Although Murray went an early minibreak down after a netted forehand, a netted forehand from Granollers followed by a wide volley enabled him to gain the advantage. From this point on he never looked back, taking control with aggressive play that opened up the court. After setting up four match points with a scorching passing shot, he sealed his win with an aggressive return which was in reply netted by the Spaniard.

Given the fact that Murray hasn't played for weeks plus the tricky conditions, it was an impressive performance. At last year's Canada Masters, Murray withdrew ahead of his third round match against Milos Raonic so he has a good opportunity to gain valuable ranking points this week.

Next up for Murray is the Latvian Ernests Gulbis who today beat Fabio Fognini in three sets. Murray has won all five of their previous meetings, most recently in Cincinatti three years ago.

[ Last edit by Mark August 08, 2013, 12:36 AM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 09:16 PM »

Congratulations on a very well written report, you presented a very clear picture of the whole match.
Andy will be be more match fit tomorrow and will have less nerves which he always suffers from in the first match of a tournament. Granollers is a very tricky player and he would have had plenty of confidence having just won a tournament and having won his first round match here. So well done Andy.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 09:16 PM »

Great report Katie  clap
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 09:21 PM »

Very good report.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 09:54 PM »

excellent report Katie  - detailed and balanced.  Onwards and upwards Andy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:40 PM »

Excellent report Katie.  A detailed, fair and very clear read.

Once again I was impressed with Andy's composure while some of his fans were losing theirs.  Instead of dwelling on his errors in the second set, something which he was guilty of doing in his pre-Lendl days, he held himself together and got on with the business of winning the match.  Well done Andy!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 01:05 AM »

Well done, Katie, on your first match report. Great job. goodjob

I wasn't overly impressed with Andy's serve and groundies (neither was he) but he got the job done, and that's all that matters.

Hey Andy! wave No more vacations with Gorge, and pack a can of WD-40 for your next match.

Next...
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 07:44 AM »

Well done, Katie, on your first match report. Great job. goodjob

I wasn't overly impressed with Andy's serve and groundies (neither was he) but he got the job done, and that's all that matters.

Hey Andy! wave No more vacations with Gorge, and pack a can of WD-40 for your next match.

Next...
you're a hard taskmistress Linda.  No more vacations?  How often does the poor lad ever take a real holiday?   Rolling Eyes
 And yes too many ues and dfs but he didn't revert into defensive tennis and showed real flashes of brilliance at times.  Just needs to find his timing.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 09:33 AM »

Great report Katie, and loved the picture to go with it. Smile
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 02:55 PM »

you're a hard taskmistress Linda.   No more vacations?  How often does the poor lad ever take a real holiday?   Rolling Eyes
 And yes too many ues and dfs but he didn't revert into defensive tennis and showed real flashes of brilliance at times.  Just needs to find his timing.
C'mon Ruthie.. I'm more carrot than the stick. hug
My Canadian commies were saying yesterday that they'd been talking to Andy, and he'd said he'd never taken such a long time off before (13 days) and told them when he started hitting, the balls were flying all over the place.  He'd said, "What have I done!"

Poor lad deserved his break, but I'm wondering if he'll take such a long one next time. Shame.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 04:56 PM »

Thanks for your nice comments everyone. Smile

My Canadian commies were saying yesterday that they'd been talking to Andy, and he'd said he'd never taken such a long time off before (13 days) and told them when he started hitting, the balls were flying all over the place.  He'd said, "What have I done!"

Poor lad deserved his break, but I'm wondering if he'll take such a long one next time. Shame.

I didn't realise he'd never taken a long break like this before - very well deserved. Hopefully it won't take him too long to regain his rhythm.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 05:15 PM »

A bit alarming that, if players can lose their touch so quickly, but I suppose at that level it's much more noticeable.  Andy needed that break though, so I'm glad he took it.

I do like Mark's idea of putting up a pic with the reports.  It makes the main webpage look so much better.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 05:31 PM »

Great report Katie clap clap clap clap.

To my mind it shows the level Andy is at now. He can play below his best, which he did at times, yet still get the win in straight sets.

I think at the top it's all a bit of a fine line. I've heard it said before that with top athletes being very fit and being ill is a fine line. I suppose it's like that with form. It's also the difference between practice and playing. You can practice all you like, but it can't be the same as the pressure of a match.

I still feel that Andy's ability to find his best when he needed it was significant. That is what a champion does. When Andy was 4-1 down in the second set I had the urge to yell 'DJOKOVIC!' at the TV, and would have done if I'd got a voice!

Granollers can be awkward. The conditions weren't easy. It was Andy's first match back after a month. Sure, he can play better, but he will. No doubt in my mind. He kept his cool when it got tough and found his best stuff. Onwards and upwards.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray grits out win against Granollers « Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 10:28 AM »

Thanks for the report Katie.......I didn't get to see that match, so it's much appreciated!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »