Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray ground down by Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray ground down by Djokovic  (Read 7276 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #165 on: January 29, 2013, 08:46 AM »

Given all the great players from the past, isn't it amazing to think that no one had got to a major final immediately after winning their first? Congrats to Andy for a great achievement.

Had to smile when listening to Wilander after Andy beat Federer. Wilander had tipped Federer to come through that one, of course. Wilander's comment was 'it shows what I know.' Couldn't agree more.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #166 on: January 29, 2013, 03:45 PM »

Djokovic wasn't #1 in AO 2011, nor Federer at Wimbledon this year (although of course he did get courtesy of that win).

Pretty sure Nadal was #1 in 2008 as well.

I guess what was originally meant was that these players were all No. 1 at some point. Tsonga was never No. 1 when Nole faced him at the AO in 2008. Highest rank No. 5 in 2012.

Mark Philippoussis' (Federer's first final encounter at Wimbledon in 2003) highest rank was No. 8. And that was back in 1999. Federer's other finalists were Baghdatis (2006 AO, highest rank No. 8), Gonzalez (2007 AO, highest rank No. 5), Murray (2008 USO, 2010 AO & 2012 Wimbledon - highest rank No. 2), Soderling (2009 RG, highest rank No. 4), Nadal (he wasn't No. 1 until 2008) etc.

Djokovic, Safin, Hewitt, Agassi, Roddick etc. are/were all No. 1 at some point but they all either peaked way before or much after.

Puerta was No. 9 when he met with Nadal at RG final in 2005. Nadal also had Berdych (2010 Wimbledon, highest rank No. 6), Soderling (2010 RG, higest rank No. 4) and finally Djokovic (2010 USO and his rank was No. 3 at that time but become No. 1 in 2011)).

Andy has yet to play a player who wasn't No. 1 or even belonged in top 5 in a GS final. And these players are either at their peak or still at the top of their game be it Nole or Nadal or Federer. Of course Andy has yet to meet with Nadal in a GS final, but if he does, it would be the same as before.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #167 on: January 29, 2013, 04:13 PM »

I guess what was originally meant was that these players were all No. 1 at some point.

Well, I took it in this way and realised that he has faced only Nole and Fed in GS finals.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #168 on: January 29, 2013, 06:44 PM »

Couldn't be bothered to read some of stupid articles like ...A one hit wonder, etc!! So unfair and I know Andy will prove them wrong. As someone above said Andy is the first maiden Slam winner to reach the Final at the next Slam, as for Max Wilander never listen to him or read anything he says.
We will now have to get through a month of no Andy matches. Hope he gets a good break, heals his feet, time with his dogs,Kim and friends, before heading out for more work with Ivan.
I was hoping Andy might play a minor tournament (Delray Beach had been suggested as a possible one) in the run up to IW, but in two separate interviews he said that he wouldn't be playing in another tournie until IW, although I suppose he could change his mind nearer the time and ask for a wildcard (provided one was available), but I guess it depends on what Lendl wants, although going into a Masters 'cold' doesn't seem a good idea to me, especially as Djoko, Fed, Berdych, Delpo, Tsonga and Tipsy are scheduled to play in Dubai, where last year Andy beat Djokovic in the semis before losing to Fed in the final.

Unfortunately it also seems that Andy is only having a week's break before heading off to Miami.  I really do wish he'd have a longer one though because he works hard enough as it is.

I had the dubious pleasure of listening for the first time to Wilander commentating during the AO.  What a creep!  If he wasn't dragging SmugFed into the chat at every opporunity he was going little trips down memory lane reminiscing about his own matches. Rolling Eyes
[ Last edit by Aileen January 29, 2013, 06:53 PM ] IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #169 on: January 29, 2013, 08:44 PM »

Unfortunately it also seems that Andy is only having a week's break before heading off to Miami. 
So that means he might arrive this weekend, maybe? Whistle  yay
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #170 on: January 29, 2013, 08:46 PM »

One observation I'd like to make: I felt that both players were pacing themselves, expecting a five-set epic. The comms said something similar, like they were suddenly going to go all-out in the fifth.

I feel that this worked against Murray because the pacing himself simply translated to being ultra-passive.
  I agree, one of the comms made the comment that he thought Djokovic was "playing possum" a little in the early stages until he was fairly sure it wouldn't go the distance then he was able to move up a gear. Thought that was an interesting observation.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #171 on: January 29, 2013, 09:20 PM »

So that means he might arrive this weekend, maybe? Whistle  yay
I wouldn't think so Linda because I don't imagine he'd have got back to the UK before today -but then I don't know how long you're going to be in Miami for, so maybe you might be able to get those binoculars out after all. Very Happy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #172 on: January 30, 2013, 02:48 PM »

I agree, one of the comms made the comment that he thought Djokovic was "playing possum" a little in the early stages until he was fairly sure it wouldn't go the distance then he was able to move up a gear. Thought that was an interesting observation.

I thought it was really obvious Djokovic was playing possum during the first set. With all due respect, I wanted to reach through the TV and strangle him, it was annoying.

The comms on the BBC seemed to think it would be a long match, I think everyone did, although I don't think it was particularly short.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #173 on: January 30, 2013, 04:11 PM »

I thought it was really obvious Djokovic was playing possum during the first set. With all due respect, I wanted to reach through the TV and strangle him, it was annoying.

The comms on the BBC seemed to think it would be a long match, I think everyone did, although I don't think it was particularly short.
It lasted about 3hrs 45mins - quite long enough in the circumstances!  Djokovic annoys me the way he creeps around the court like he's half-dead, then BAM! he suddenly springs into life and starts playing at full throttle.  Even seasoned commentators sometimes don't know what's going on with him.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #174 on: January 30, 2013, 04:13 PM »

It lasted about 3hrs 45mins - quite long enough in the circumstances!

That's what I thought too. I can't speak for either man, but I was shattered when it was over. To be honest I've been quite useless since the AO finished. Mind you, a very weird dream I had, in which Andy won, didn't help!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #175 on: January 30, 2013, 04:16 PM »

That's what I thought too. I can't speak for either man, but I was shattered when it was over. To be honest I've been quite useless since the AO finished. Mind you, a very weird dream I had, in which Andy won, didn't help!
I felt remarkably OK afterwards, but it took me at least two days to recover from the USO.  Maybe you were dreaming about Andy winning a different Slam ...?
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #176 on: January 30, 2013, 04:19 PM »

I was sooooooooooooo restless before the semis and finals and now, just wish that he was fitter in the finals...could have been a different result then Smile
And surprisingly, Andy has never featured in my dreams... Think
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #177 on: January 30, 2013, 04:26 PM »

Andy has never featured in my dreams... Think
He has in mine, but very rarely, and it's always been off-court and he's friendly and full of fun.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #178 on: January 30, 2013, 04:48 PM »

I felt remarkably OK afterwards, but it took me at least two days to recover from the USO.  Maybe you were dreaming about Andy winning a different Slam ...?

I was all right emotionally, funnily enough, because Andy, although he seemed disappointed, obviously, wasn't distraught. That's what makes me think he'll bounce back well, because now he knows he can win at that top level, losing isn't the end of the world.

As for me, I think it was just a bit of come down from all the excitement. I've just realised, for example, how dull the TV in the evenings is when there is no tennis on lol.

You could have a point about the dream, although it seemed like the AO lol. He was lifting the trophy and everything. It was weird! Fingers crossed I'll dream he wins Wimbledon and it will turn out to be true.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #179 on: January 30, 2013, 04:49 PM »

He has in mine, but very rarely, and it's always been off-court and he's friendly and full of fun.

Aww, I wish he comes in mine too
I bet it will be interesting Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply