Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray ground down by Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray ground down by Djokovic

(Read 8819 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray ground down by Djokovic « on: January 27, 2013, 12:29 PM »

Novak Djokovic claimed his third successive Australian Open crown, beating Andy Murray 6-7, 7-6, 6-3, 6-2. The world number one demonstrated his full repertoire to defeat an opponent who tried his best but ultimately came up short.

The Serbian becomes the first player in the open era to win three consecutive Australian Open titles. On the evidence of today’s performance, few would bet against him making it four in a row next year.

Murray looked second best for much of the first set, struggling through service games and failing to get much on the return. The Scot’s first serve, dominant for much of the semi against Federer, was conspicuous by its absence.

Djokovic was unable to force an opening, and after more than an hour of gritty attritional tennis, a tiebreak was needed to decide the set.

It did not go well for the Serb. A double fault on the opening point followed by some wayward groundstrokes gave an immediate mini-break to Murray. The Scot cantered into a 5-1 lead before converting his second set point.

The second set was almost a mirror image of the first - this time Murray was in the ascendency and Djokovic struggling. Again a tiebreak was required to separate the two.

Read more (297 words)
The pivotal moment came at 2-2. The Scot missed a first serve and, as he prepared to hit his second delivery, a small white feather floated onto the court. Murray removed it and promptly double faulted.

Such small incidents can signal big shifts in momentum, and Djokovic capitalized on the minibreak to secure the second set.  Murray looked uncomfortable and, at the change of ends, the reason soon became obvious.

The Scot called for the trainer and received treatment for a badly blistered foot. Returning to the court, Murray’s movement was clearly hampered – a crucial handicap when playing an opponent with Djokovic’s defensive skills.

Sensing blood, the world number one upped his game. A single break in the third was enough to establish a two sets to one lead and, with Murray visibly struggling, the coup de grâce was not long in coming.

Djokovic has now won six Slams and is well on his way to being considered one of the greats of the game. He was the deserved victor today, playing the more aggressive tennis and exploiting his opponent’s weaknesses. The Serb remains world number one and at the moment looks unlikely to be challenged for that position.

For Murray, reaching the final was a great achievement. No player in the modern era has won his second slam immediately after his first, so a victory today was always historically unlikely. The Scot was also clearly hampered by injury in the latter stages of the match, so a loss here should not be too dispiriting.

Next up is the American spring hard court swing. For the last few years Murray has done poorly at these events, so a lot of points are on offer. A good run will see the Scot close the gap on the number 2 spot.
[ Last edit by Mark January 27, 2013, 02:08 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:30 PM »

Can we not just pretend it didn't happen?  I would like to.
IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 12:56 PM »

hes gunna be spitting feathers  Whistle Whistle
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 12:59 PM »

Good match by Djokovic. He was a bit shaky at times in the 1st and 3nd but he came into it and was the better player in the end.
Well done to Andy, he played a great tournament and another final to his name.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 12:59 PM »

Much suckage.  You will get Djok off your back, Andy - in time.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:09 PM »

Nole looked better player throughout for me.
But thought: match lost game 2 second set. Andy did not bring the hammer down naughty
Also, too far behind that baseline at times naughty
Looked knackered to me too. Beating Fed huge hurdle and suspect drained him mentally.
Bring on Wimbledon where Andreues Maximus will have his revenge in this life  yahooo
IP Logged
bes03_philippines
Satellite Level

game, set, match!

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 01:12 PM »

Must be hard and annoying keeping all 3 Australian Open plate silverware for Andy. On another note, I'm not as gutted as say the Wimbledon loss or the 1st 2 Australian Open final losses. He's more resilient and more composed. It's a brand new year and a brand new season. I'm sure Andy will have lots of time to improve. So many points to be earned along the way. So many positive things to pick up from this loss. He'll be just fine. I'm sure Andy, Ivan, and the rest of the team are just getting started. And c'mon guys, he beat the Smug Fed in a slam. That alone should give him (and us) satisfaction Smile
IP Logged
starrieyed

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 01:12 PM »

I agree he looked really tired during 3rd set. But full credid to the Jok he won those big points with big gets and big winners. Andy has nothing to be ashamed of.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 01:14 PM »

Blisters were key. He needs some surgical spirit.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 01:16 PM »

Nole looked better player throughout for me.
But thought: match lost game 2 second set. Andy did not bring the hammer down naughty
Also, too far behind that baseline at times naughty
Looked knackered to me too. Beating Fed huge hurdle and suspect drained him mentally.
Bring on Wimbledon where Andreues Maximus will have his revenge in this life  yahooo
Totally Nole had Andy under pressure - yet Andy won the first set? He has to believe in himself in order to win.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 01:18 PM »

Oh well, never mind ! I feel less gutted about this loss than I have in the past - probably the benefit of having a slam in the bank already. And going by Andy's post match speech, he feels the same - no tears this time !

I think Andy has shown that these are the matches he belongs in and I have no doubt that the final was contested by the 2 best players in the world right now. Congratulations to Djokovic though, he played better, deserved to win and is still no.1.  A couple of points the other way in set 2 might have changed the outcome, but not this time.

I noticed some comments in the match thread criticizing Andy for being over passive. I disagree - apart from the odd point maybe.  Djokovic was a bit more aggressive, sure, but that brought a good few UE points to Andy. The truth is, for the first 2 hours plus, there was nothing between them, and maybe Djokovic's fresher legs made a marginal difference as the match went on.

It's been an improved start to the year from Murray, with the Fed result a very significant bonus. So, no tears here - proud of our boy - and looking forward to Roland Garros. I'm really interested to see how his clay court season is going to go - he can tackle that with much a much lower burden of expectation, and, therefore, less pressure. I have a good feeling about that !
 cmonandy
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 01:23 PM »

Just had a thought :  I've watched Andy live losing 5 slam finals. The only won I couldn't watch he won !

Oh no ! it's my fault !! imsorry
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 01:23 PM »

Can we not just pretend it didn't happen?  I would like to.

Why should we pretend it didn't happen? That attitude seems to me to discredit all that Murray has and is achieving. He got to the final for goodness sake.  En route he achieved the ginormous step of slaying one of his nastiest and most viscous dragons. If as people are suggesting, and the evidence would seem to support that,  it is going to be the Murray/Djokovic era, then Murray is going to win some and lose some. He might well lose more than he wins. We all need to get used to that.

Much as it pains me so say it, the fact that Boogers reports doesn't look like it is going to be too negative is an indicator of the fact that he put up a good fight.

It might have been the blisters, it might have been the emotional fall out from the Federer match, who knows? The important thing is Murray was up there in another GS final. I don't think Lendl is going to be too worried about this one.
I am proud ( although I have no right to be, not actually knowing the guy), of how well he fought in a difficult situation. There are more positives than negatives from this tournament in my opinion. Not just the Fed match, but the fact the early rounds were not the normal rollover coaster. He is making progress all of the time.  He certainly shouldn't scurry away like a thief in the night. I was glad he held his head up high in the presentation. We as his supporters should do likewise.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 01:27 PM »

@ Elly
Andy sneaked that tie break....lesson from Fed?  Wink
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 01:30 PM »

@ Elly
Andy sneaked that tie break....lesson from Fed?  Wink
i dont' think Andy is that contrived.  I think he does his best, and sometimes he lets himself down, mentally.  He is human - and that's what I love about the guy.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »