Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Today, 12:00 Midnight BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray ground down by Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray ground down by Djokovic

(Read 7924 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #45 on: January 27, 2013, 04:16 PM »

I don't agree at all that Djokovic was the better player throughout. Sure, Andy was being patient in the first set - note, patient, not passive - but he took his chances when they arose, and was the better player by far in the tie-break for the first. It was split in the second, a couple of chances here and there and the match could have been different. I felt it was only when Djokovic knew Andy was struggling, either physically with the blisters and hamstring injury, or mentally because of fatigue, that he lifted his game to the point where Andy couldn't live with him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #46 on: January 27, 2013, 04:16 PM »

I reckon they need to look at the whole staggering the semis idea. In five out of the last six years, the guy playing the first semi, with a 24-hour recovery advantage, has won the final.
Well if that doesn't tell the organisers something, then nothing will, even although it's blindingly obvious.

Why should we pretend it didn't happen? That attitude seems to me to discredit all that Murray has and is achieving. He got to the final for goodness sake.  En route he achieved the ginormous step of slaying one of his nastiest and most viscous dragons. If as people are suggesting, and the evidence would seem to support that,  it is going to be the Murray/Djokovic era, then Murray is going to win some and lose some. He might well lose more than he wins. We all need to get used to that.

Much as it pains me so say it, the fact that Boogers reports doesn't look like it is going to be too negative is an indicator of the fact that he put up a good fight.

It might have been the blisters, it might have been the emotional fall out from the Federer match, who knows? The important thing is Murray was up there in another GS final. I don't think Lendl is going to be too worried about this one.

I am proud ( although I have no right to be, not actually knowing the guy), of how well he fought in a difficult situation. There are more positives than negatives from this tournament in my opinion. Not just the Fed match, but the fact the early rounds were not the normal rollover coaster. He is making progress all of the time.  He certainly shouldn't scurry away like a thief in the night. I was glad he held his head up high in the presentation. We as his supporters should do likewise.
Good posting!  And Boogers' report is a very fair account of the match. Smile

I'm not too disappointed because I wasn't realistically expecting a Murray win.  He's still a work in progress with Lendl, who himself took over a year to win his second Slam, but one thing is certain and that is that Murray's mental fortitude is no longer an issue, and he showed us it again in this match.  He must have known by the third set that his blistered feet (can't Adidas do something to make their shoes more wearer friendly?) were going to deny him the pleasure of a win, and that Djokovic would, understandably, take full advantage of the situation, yet he refused to give up despite being in obvious pain, something a tweaked hamstring only added to.

It's being said that Djokovic was the better player throughout but there were definite signs in the early stages of the match that Murray had him rattled - and at least one racket suffered, albeit slightly by Djokovic's standards.  The important thing is that Murray now knows he can win a Slam, and with that knowledge, plus the fact that he beat Federer for the first time in one, he can build on this match, taking the positives from it and seeing the negatives in their true perspective.  Unlike the aftermath of previous AO final defeats the future looks bright, not bleak.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #47 on: January 27, 2013, 04:20 PM »

Just listening to Johnnie Walker who has played 3 songs for Andy, suggested by listeners - Sorrow, It should have been me, and Hold your head up.
Hold your head up indeed Andy. You have nothing to be ashamed of.  The first 2 sets were so close - indeed there was a point well into the match when they had won an equal number of points.  You are up there at the very top of the game only just behind Nole and who knows what would have happened if he'd had longer to recover from the 5-setter with smugfed.  It's to Andy's credit that he's refusing to accept the blisters had anything to do with it and seems to be making no mention of what looked like a hamstring problem.  According to the BBC website Andy isn't too downcast and is already able to take the positives from his run at the AO and before that.   I am sad but tbh although I voted Andy in 5 that was with my heart not my head and I didn't really believe he'd win after such a tough SF.  And this is nothing like 2011 when I was pretty devastated as Andy lost so tamely. This time he was still fighting even in the last game even though he was obviously in pain. And of course this time there isn't that niggling question of will he ever.....because he has and noone can ever take that away.
Boogers that was a very fair match report - thank you.  And thanks to everyone on MW for also taking the positives out of this loss. Didn't come on immediately as I wanted to get outside and enjoy the rare sunshine.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #48 on: January 27, 2013, 04:30 PM »

I reckon they need to look at the whole staggering the semis idea. In five out of the last six years, the guy playing the first semi, with a 24-hour recovery advantage, has won the final.

The problem is that they are still arguing about the USO, changing the final to a Monday there is only a trial after all for next year, so I doubt they'd want to muck around with the AO as well, even if it is in the best interest of all players.

You're right though, it would seem obvious that it gives one player an advantage over the other. I suppose the powers that be would argue that it could also be a negative thing, in that the extra day off could cause a loss of rhythm, but to my mind that gives extra weight to an argument for a change, to make it fair for both sides. The idea of even the chance of an advantage, at least one that doesn't need to be there or isn't down to the skills of the other player, is not great for the sport.

IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #49 on: January 27, 2013, 04:31 PM »

Why not play the semi finals on the same day?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #50 on: January 27, 2013, 04:31 PM »

Exactly. Pissy AO organisers. All need to go Down Under. lol
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #51 on: January 27, 2013, 04:32 PM »

Also meant to say that I thought Andy gave a good speech.  It's lovely to see that he's top of the fan's poll at least.  I do hope he gets a good press tomorrow in UK.  I think he will as this was an honorable defeat.  And like the Independent on Sunday said on it's front page they should still 'salute Andy Murray'. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #52 on: January 27, 2013, 04:33 PM »

because the tv people will want one each evening and the media rule over what is fair to the players, which probably also helps explain why smugfed got all the evening matches
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #53 on: January 27, 2013, 04:34 PM »

Andy's presser. ".I think I'm going in the right direction.."
Absolutely Andy yes

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #54 on: January 27, 2013, 04:35 PM »

Because that would make sense I suppose. To be honest I think the scheduling is one area where Wimbledon gets it right, because unless rain causes chaos, obviously less likely for those at the top of the game because of the CC roof, it is fair for both sides of the draw.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #55 on: January 27, 2013, 04:38 PM »

The playing field should be level.

This clearly wasn't the case today.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #56 on: January 27, 2013, 04:39 PM »

Oh and also Ross Hutchins said he was sure Andy would bounce back quickly and all the signs are that he will.  Andy has said how helpful it is to talk to Ivan after big defeats and I'm sure Ivan will know exactly what to say and will already be learning the lessons for their next long training session next month in Miami.  I feel this will be another of those defeats that Andy will learn from like his SF defeat this time last year.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #57 on: January 27, 2013, 04:43 PM »

Wimbledon plays less days than the other slams as Sunday is a day off yet - weather permitting - they manage to play fourth round on Monday, quarters on the Wednesday,then both semis on the Friday, thereby doing their best to ensure all players treated fairly. I think this was more what the players were after when they wanted change at the US open, rather than go to the Monday - which really isn't good for the Davis Cup ties the following weekend. Surely it isn't ridiculous to expect all the slams to organise themselves in such a way to be fair to all players. Also, they only do it to the men, women's ties are all on the same day.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #58 on: January 27, 2013, 04:45 PM »

Sorry Teejay I see you have posted same thoughts re Wimbledon while I was typing my wee rant
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #59 on: January 27, 2013, 04:49 PM »

You can't win them all as they say. Perhaps Andy will have more success on the faster hardcourts at Flushing Meadows. Novak can get every ball back on AO Plexicushion always puts his opponents under pressure to hit the lines.

Don't forget that Nole has lost 3 out of 4 USO finals and maybe Andy may have a similar record in Aus. Here's hoping Andy can win AO someday. I also think both SFs should played on the same day.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »