Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray ground down by Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray ground down by Djokovic

(Read 8973 times)
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #135 on: January 28, 2013, 04:31 PM »

Totally agree with you. I think beating Fed in a slam, took more out of him mentally, as well as physically, than perhaps we all realised.
Such a milestone after Wimbledon final.

I agree too - that must've felt like a huge relief for Andy. And if we look at that match, Andy was close to beating Fed in straights - maybe it was even nerves a little bit that he didn't close it out in 4 sets.

Nole lost the USO final to Rafa after FINALLY beating Fed in the semis in 2010 - he'd lost to Fed there in 2007, 08 and 09. So I kind of knew he probably wouldn't win the final. Just one too many hurdles....

These 2 guys have lived in the shadow of Fed and Rafa for an awfully long time; it must feel huge for them to finally break through, especially at slams.

So perchance it was the same with Andy; plus the blisters didn't help his ability to serve; the commies I was listening to said he couldn't push off as well as he might've done.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #136 on: January 28, 2013, 04:40 PM »

Yes I also agree about Andy's playing style yesterday. I was surprised at how passive Andy was in the first set - as you say janetx, Nole had many chances to break but couldn't take them. Andy showed flashes of being more aggressive but couldn't maintain that style. It's a shame as it's what got him so close in last year's Aussie Open match.

I remember when Nole hardly ever came to the net in his matches and when he did invariably lost the point. That's really changed now - I was impressed by how successful he was yesterday. I've noticed that several of the top guys are coming to the net more and more now - hope Andy can learn to use it more in matches as he has a wonderful volley and is losing points by staying back all the time.

But beating Fed was a major milestone and definitely worth it. Novak's not always going to be waiting for him in the final - in Wimbledon arguably it's more likely to be Fed or Rafa - so it's important for Andy to know he can beat them in a slam.
was thinking the same katie.  Nole used to be rubbish at the net but he's made himself a decent volleyer. Andy is a natural at the net yet is still reluctant to come forward it seems. But  I'm sure I'd read that one of the things he was working on in training was to come forward more.  Like you I hope one of the lessons he learns from yesterday will be that he should do so.  If he did it more in lesser matches, it would come more naturally in the big ones.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #137 on: January 28, 2013, 04:42 PM »

I think beating Fed in a slam, took more out of him mentally, as well as physically, than perhaps we all realised.
Such a milestone after Wimbledon final.
Not only that but Andy is still coming to terms emotionally with his close friend's illness, something which in itself will be draining him.

devastated today....was hoping these final heartbreaks were behind us...it should be murrays time
What heartbreak?  Murray's time is only just beginning.  Yes there will be losses along the way but that isn't necessarily the judge of his success. To quote an old saying -  "Never worry about the delay of your success compared to others, because construction of a palace takes more time than an ordinary building."

[ Last edit by Aileen January 28, 2013, 04:56 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #138 on: January 28, 2013, 04:43 PM »

I llove that saying Aileen - not heard it before  ps just noticed your new avatar: nice one!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #139 on: January 28, 2013, 04:55 PM »

Neither had I but thought it appropriate in the circumstances.  Judging Andy by the success of others is doing him a great disservice.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #140 on: January 28, 2013, 05:18 PM »

Not only that but Andy is still coming to terms emotionally with his close friend's illness, something which in itself will be draining him.

You're right there Aileen-apparently Andy phoned Ross after the match and told him that he was sorry, that he had wanted to win it for him.

Now,in that situation,with Andy being so close to Ross,of course he was going to want to win it for his friend!But slams are already mentally tough and draining to begin with-to add something like that on top of things must have been a huge amount for Andy to mentally and emotionally deal with.I'm not saying that's what made him lose,or that he couldn't have won while dealing with that-but I do think it's a factor to be considered,especially given that Andy himself has spoke so often about the importance of being strong mentally during slams.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #141 on: January 28, 2013, 05:21 PM »

Oh, and as a tennis player myself, I can confirm that Adidas shoes are crap.

It has a lot to do with the surface too. Hard courts can be brutal on both knees and feet. Andy played a very aggressive game against Federer but still it wasn't enough to recover. Both grass and clay have more natural feel to it though hard courts are my favourite surface
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #142 on: January 28, 2013, 05:32 PM »

I agree too - that must've felt like a huge relief for Andy. And if we look at that match, Andy was close to beating Fed in straights - maybe it was even nerves a little bit that he didn't close it out in 4 sets.

Nole lost the USO final to Rafa after FINALLY beating Fed in the semis in 2010 - he'd lost to Fed there in 2007, 08 and 09. So I kind of knew he probably wouldn't win the final. Just one too many hurdles....

These 2 guys have lived in the shadow of Fed and Rafa for an awfully long time; it must feel huge for them to finally break through, especially at slams.

So perchance it was the same with Andy; plus the blisters didn't help his ability to serve; the commies I was listening to said he couldn't push off as well as he might've done.

Yes, I agree with that. I knew too that Nole wasn't going to survive Nadal even when Nole was the better player on that surface and had the H2H advantage over Nadal on that very surface.

Andy's victory over Federer was a very emotional one and as much as I hoped that perhaps Lendl would keep him on track, I later realized that he doesn't have a history with Federer but Andy does and once he put him away, his mind just couldn't be bothered with anything anymore. I was mentally completely done after this match, so I can't blame Andy especially when he was the one who had to go through all that public humiliation for losing the finals to Federer. We suffered too along with Andy of course. I had already said before his match vs Federer that I was perfectly willing to sacrifice this match with another GS. That's also why I thought everyone should enjoy the victory, because we need to be happy now and not later especially given our sufferings along the way. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #143 on: January 28, 2013, 05:36 PM »

Neither had I but thought it appropriate in the circumstances.  Judging Andy by the success of others is doing him a great disservice.

I agree with that so much. Andy is clocking up some serious stats in his own right and shouldn't be compared to anyone else. Andy has achieved a great deal already, and has plenty of time for so much more. I still feel Andy's best is yet to come.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #144 on: January 28, 2013, 05:37 PM »

Andy played quite crappy in the 1st set. Nole was the better player though he too was struggling from time to time to settle down (perhaps nerves), but he was the one who was going for shots. Andy was slightly lucky to win the 1st set IMO. However, Nole was the lucky one in the 2nd set when Andy failed to covert a few break points. Anyway, after that 2nd TB, I don't think Andy had anything left in him and that blister certainly didn't help. In any case, I am convinced Andy was going to lose the match and that's because his semi-final match against Federer. Plus we have the history of players not winning their 2nd GS title and it’s there for a reason. Players aren’t robots and it doesn’t matter who’s on your side. Every single emotional incident comes into play when you play big matches.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #145 on: January 28, 2013, 06:03 PM »

You're right there Aileen-apparently Andy phoned Ross after the match and told him that he was sorry, that he had wanted to win it for him.

Now,in that situation,with Andy being so close to Ross,of course he was going to want to win it for his friend!But slams are already mentally tough and draining to begin with-to add something like that on top of things must have been a huge amount for Andy to mentally and emotionally deal with.I'm not saying that's what made him lose,or that he couldn't have won while dealing with that-but I do think it's a factor to be considered,especially given that Andy himself has spoke so often about the importance of being strong mentally during slams.
That doesn't surprise me, but this is something else Andy has to cope with.  I know he cares very much about Ross, but I don't think it's going to do either of them any good if Andy is always wanting to win tournaments just for him and then apologising when he doesn't.  I'm not a psychologist, but, based on my own experience, it occurs to me that Andy feeling guilty in case he's let his friend down could not only have the effect of draining him emotionally but also might have the effect of making Ross feel uncomfortable and even guilty himself for being ill in the first place and thereby causing distress and anxiety to others.  It doesn't help that Andy has been so far away from home ever since he got the news about his friend, and I can only hope that when the two meet when Andy returns to the UK that things might become a little easier all round once they've had a chance to talk to each face to face.

It says a lot though for Andy's mental strength that, in the circumstances, he was even able to achieve what he did in Melbourne, so losing in a final against such a tough opponent is no disgrace.  The important thing is that he now knows that he can beat both Djokovic and Federer in a Slam.  His next big step is to do it to Nadal, should the latter somehow manage to find his old form and avoid further injury to his already battered knees.

IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #146 on: January 28, 2013, 07:42 PM »

Neither had I but thought it appropriate in the circumstances.  Judging Andy by the success of others is doing him a great disservice.

That has put into words what I have been thinking all day thanks Aileen

It seems Andy is being hailed as the new number 2 in the world (that must stick in Feds throat) by press and media with different views as to how far/close he is to Novak.  Neil Harman was nice to him in The Times. He also said Andy is coming home for a week for a break and to see Ross.  Then its back to Miami for 4 weeks training before the American Hard court swing.  I cant wait for him to be the actual world number 2 with Fed sliding slowing into oblivion.
[ Last edit by Tessie January 28, 2013, 07:50 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #147 on: January 28, 2013, 08:08 PM »

That has put into words what I have been thinking all day thanks Aileen

It seems Andy is being hailed as the new number 2 in the world (that must stick in Feds throat) by press and media with different views as to how far/close he is to Novak.  Neil Harman was nice to him in The Times. He also said Andy is coming home for a week for a break and to see Ross.  Then its back to Miami for 4 weeks training before the American Hard court swing.  I cant wait for him to be the actual world number 2 with Fed sliding slowing into oblivion.
That conjures up a very appealing spectacle!  I do wish though that Andy would take a longer break before resuming his training.

I must say I was more than a little annoyed at the bitching about Andy that I read in some reports online - the Daily Mail being one of the worst culprits which claimed that Andy had blamed everything but himself (and gave a list of alleged grievances) for his defeat - so it was very refreshing to read this excellent article by Jonathan Overend on the BBC's website -

DJOKOVIC WIN OVER MURRAY PROVES TENNIS STARS ARE ONLY HUMAN

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21236060
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #148 on: January 28, 2013, 08:14 PM »

Here's a murderous stat: Murray has played the world number one in all six of his slam finals.
Djokovic wasn't #1 in AO 2011, nor Federer at Wimbledon this year (although of course he did get courtesy of that win).

Pretty sure Nadal was #1 in 2008 as well.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #149 on: January 28, 2013, 08:45 PM »

I read a report in the 'i' newspaper at school today during form time, it is obvious my form tutor mocked me as he gave me today's edition with a page and a half of Andy bashing. Never read so much **** in my life. Also kudos to anyone who can guess what the first word of the article was?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »