Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray ground down by Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray ground down by Djokovic

(Read 7528 times)
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #150 on: January 28, 2013, 08:52 PM »

I see that someone in the press has at last come out and said that Andy is the only player in the open era to reach a GS final immediately after winning one.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #151 on: January 28, 2013, 09:27 PM »

I see that someone in the press has at last come out and said that Andy is the only player in the open era to reach a GS final immediately after winning one.

Hadn't realised that - excellent!!!!!
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #152 on: January 28, 2013, 09:29 PM »

I read a report in the 'i' newspaper at school today during form time, it is obvious my form tutor mocked me as he gave me today's edition with a page and a half of Andy bashing. Never read so much sh*t in my life. Also kudos to anyone who can guess what the first word of the article was?

Feather?    Must be the most over hyped incident- journalists desperately seeknig a new angle.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #153 on: January 28, 2013, 09:51 PM »

Djokovic wasn't #1 in AO 2011, nor Federer at Wimbledon this year (although of course he did get courtesy of that win).

Pretty sure Nadal was #1 in 2008 as well.

I read it in the Mail. I shoulda known better.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #154 on: January 28, 2013, 09:52 PM »

Feather?    Must be the most over hyped incident- journalists desperately seeknig a new angle.

Whoa. Good guess.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #155 on: January 28, 2013, 09:58 PM »

I'll shoot that damn bird, that ruined Andy's chance of winning the AO.   Evil or Very Mad
Serbian bird no doubt, probably way off it's migratory route.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #156 on: January 28, 2013, 10:03 PM »

With regards to "feathergate" I still feel that out of the top four Andy is still the most susceptible to being brought out of the zone by the most minor of irritations. Novak is especially noted for his focus, I noticed during the match that he was able to serve when there was shout outs from the crowd
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #157 on: January 28, 2013, 10:10 PM »

With regards to "feathergate" I still feel that out of the top four Andy is still the most susceptible to being brought out of the zone by the most minor of irritations. Novak is especially noted for his focus, I noticed during the match that he was able to serve when there was shout outs from the crowd

Yes, as soon as the feather dropped, I knew he'd lost the set and possibly the match.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #158 on: January 28, 2013, 10:41 PM »

That might be true, but Andy will learn. Djokovic has been susceptible to distractions in his time too. I used to watch him and wait for him to start moaning about his eyes, his breathing, etc, etc. He also had a phase for pulling out of majors for very strange reasons. I think people have forgotten what a whiner he was before he took his head out of the orifice he used to keep it in. Djokovic is brilliant, don't get me wrong, but his behaviour has only clicked in the last two years.

As for feathergate, that double fault was painfully predictable. I have to admit that I closed my eyes for that serve, knowing it would happen. I don't know what Andy was thinking really, except I did wonder if he thought that Djokovic might say he wasn't ready for Andy's serve because his eye was on the feather falling. It's hard to tell.

Mind you, I did imagine the papers would have fun with feathergate. You could just imagine the headlines, 'Plucky Brit Beaten By Serbian Pigeon'.

If feathergate had happened in the semi's the papers would have probably done a lot of cuckoo jokes.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #159 on: January 28, 2013, 11:21 PM »

Actually come to think of Djokovic wasn't even #1 at the USO - there was somewhat of a big deal made of the fact it was #3 against #2 due to all the similarities with Fred Perry's first win.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #160 on: January 29, 2013, 12:26 AM »

Here's a murderous stat: Murray has played the world number one in all six of his slam finals.

blink

doh
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #161 on: January 29, 2013, 01:50 AM »

Well done to whoever it was!  I thought that that was the case but wasn't 100% sure.

Well they've got to have something to have a dig at when it comes to Andy, but unfortunately there's an element of truth in what some of the reports said, i.e. that Andy is too prone to being distracted or irritated by something.  There was also speculation in some quarters as to whether he would simply be a one-Slam wonder, which to me is the sort of question they shouldn't be asking for at least another year.  Roger Federer too is rapidly losing his place as the GOAT in the eyes of some sections of the media which have now shifted their focus to Djokovic.

Incidentally I recently discovered this new website which publishes links to news sources from around the world, and which is invaluable when it comes to looking for news articles about Andy or other tennis players - or in fact for news about anything whether to do with sport or not - http://www.newsnow.co.uk

If you want to look up Andy in particular - http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Tennis/Andy+Murray 
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #162 on: January 29, 2013, 06:56 AM »

naughty

IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #163 on: January 29, 2013, 07:52 AM »

I did do some quick research over this stat. but could not find any player in the open era who had accomplished a final after winning his 1st slam.  Some of them even waited a whole year before they made it to another final.  WELL DONE, ANDY.  Perhaps we could get this through to the media(such as Wilander) and his 'haters'.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray ground down by Djokovic « Reply #164 on: January 29, 2013, 08:37 AM »

Couldn't be bothered to read some of stupid articles like ...A one hit wonder, etc!! So unfair and I know Andy will prove them wrong. As someone above said Andy is the first maiden Slam winner to reach the Final at the next Slam, as for Max Wilander never listen to him or read anything he says.
We will now have to get through a month of no Andy matches. Hope he gets a good break, heals his feet, time with his dogs,Kim and friends, before heading out for more work with Ivan.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »