Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open

(Read 3351 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « on: January 13, 2012, 01:06 AM »

Andy Murray will have to be on red alert when he begins his Australian Open campaign against highly-rated American teenager Ryan Harrison.

If the Scot progresses, he could face Gael Monfils in the last sixteen with a possible quarter final against Jo Wilfried Tsonga.

Murray would then likely face the daunting challenge of defending champion Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals.

View the full draw
[ Last edit by Mark January 13, 2012, 01:10 AM ] IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 01:22 AM »

Andy Murray will have to be on red alert when he begins his Australian Open campaign against highly-rated American teenager Ryan Harrison.

If the Scot progresses, he could face Gael Monfils in the last sixteen with a possible quarter final against Jo Wilfried Tsonga.

Murray would then likely face the daunting challenge of defending champion Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals.

View the full draw
Stop it Mark! You're causing me to be nervous already.
Ryan H. gave Marcos a good match in Brisbane last week, right enough. Andy is never complacent though is he?
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 01:41 AM »

Big Joe Willy is reported to be suffering from exhaustion .
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/6252863/Exhausted-Tsonga-pulls-out-of-Kooyong-Classic
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 02:02 AM »

I think it was What that said on another thread that you have to beat the best to be the best and I agree wholeheartedly with this.  Andy will be up for this and can only play who's in front of him, good or bad.  Andy will get great support - wonder which day this will be?  Can you tell from the draw - sorry that I missed it but was out having coffee with my daughters and parents Very Happy

That's interesting stuff about JWT Think
IP Logged
underenthused

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:15 AM »

As a plus if he beats noel in the semis it would seem impossible he would lose to anyone in the final, his confidence would be through the roof and fed and rafa look a bit crook, anyone else in the final this time...he will know it's his best chance, he just head to get to the semis.".
IP Logged
underenthused

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:17 AM »

Spell check massacred that post sorry but still, he should make it past Tsonga and then his final is vs Novak.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:18 AM »

Big Joe Willy is reported to be suffering from exhaustion .
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/6252863/Exhausted-Tsonga-pulls-out-of-Kooyong-Classic

If you remember he had all of those weekend finals in the indoor season against Federer as well as the WTF and he just won Doha as well.
He's not been taking it easy that's for sure and all of that smugness from Federer can be very draining no doubt.  yawn
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 02:43 AM »

I agree it's a pretty testing quarter of the draw for Andy - there don't look to be any easy matches there - but at least he's avoided Delpo and Berdych.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 07:16 AM »

On paper looks trixy...but you never know how these things will pan out so no point worrying prematurely. cmon yeah
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 07:26 AM »

Andy

If the Scot progresses
I see your not confident Mark?   Think
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 08:50 AM »

I see your not confident Mark?   Think
Surely prudence suggests should always say if and not when - as Andy himself would do.
My first reaction was aaagh - what a draw.  But on reflection perhaps not so bad.  He will certainly have to play well from outset but I think he's ready for that.  Not to meet Berdych and Delpo is a plus.  And I concur with underenthused [not about our Andy I hope?!] that the glass half full reading of playing Nole in SFs is that if he wins it must increase his chances of winning the whole thing massively unless it's a 5 set slugfest and his opponent cruises through the SFs.  And I guess he's got a better chance of winning beating Nole in SFs than in F.  So despite the tough draw, I think I'm looking on the bright side.
[ooops my grammatical error has been pointed out by a friend who will remain nameless - the excitement is getting too much for me!]
[ Last edit by Ruthie January 13, 2012, 10:36 AM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 09:53 AM »

I was thinking back to Nole's draw last year, which was a little like Andy's this year,he (Nole) had the defending champion in the semi's (Federer.) Not easy to have to face Ferrer in the Quarters as he will run and run and make Nole really work. Andy could face Tsonga who hasn't recovered from Doha and the climate and time difference. He is coming into this tournament on the back of two losses and fatigue!
I think we will see a few upsets on the otherside of the draw and I wouldn't be surprised if neither Rafa or Federer get through to the Final, nor do I think it will be Del Potro, not sure who it will be. So I'm coming round to thinking that this could be Andy's if he continues with the positive thinking, which with Mr. Lendl in his corner I think he will.
[ Last edit by michelle January 13, 2012, 10:38 AM ] IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 10:10 AM »

I was thinking back to Nole's draw last year, which was a little like Andy's this year,he (Nole) had the defending champion in the semi's (Federer.) Not easy to have to face Ferrer in the Quarters as he will run and run and make Nole really work. Andy could face Tsonga who hasn't recovered from Doha and the climate and time difference. He is coming into this tournament on the back of two losses and fatigue!
I think we will see a few upsets on the otherside of the draw and I wouldn't be surprised if neither Rafa or Federer get through to the Final, nor do I think it will be Del Potro, not sure who it will be. So I coming round to thinking that this could be Andy's if he continues with the positive thinking, which with Mr. Lendl in his corner I think he will.
Yes, the bottom half could well open open.  DP has a chance if he can find his top form and last 4 or 5 sets with the top guys.  Berdych also if gets his rythym and flow going.  Last year the top 4 were 14 out of 16 semi-finalists but I think there'll be more surprises this year.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 10:23 AM »

I see your not confident Mark?   Think
The wording of that is no reflection on my opinion at all.

I'm feeling very optimistic.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray handed tough draw at Aussie Open « Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 10:38 AM »

I am with Andy one match at a time. If he is still there will talk about the final then.

Alot can happen in the 2 weeks of a slam.

Good luck Andy I know you can do it.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »