Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic

(Read 2535 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « on: July 03, 2012, 02:15 PM »

After the overnight rain delay, Andy Murray finally put an exhausted Marin Cilic to bed on Court No. 1, wrapping up this Wimbledon fourth-round match 7-5 6-2 6-3.

The Croatian had been kept on court for over five and a half hours in his previous match against Sam Querrey, finally breaking the American in the 31st game of the fifth set of a match that also featured three tiebreaks.

While the match was no Isner-Mahut, it was enough to knock the stuffing out of an opponent who has won only twice this year after losing the first set.

Probably sensing that a quickfire approach was his only realistic hope of victory, the world number 18 got off to a flyer yesterday in the 69 minutes of play that were possible before the British summer did its traditional thing.

Cilic, current champion of Queen’s Club, took an early break, although he gifted it right back again thanks to a scatter-cushion forehand that’s about as trustworthy as a Bob Diamond IOU.

Read more (201 words)
Some sponge-like defence from Murray sucked the last remaining energy from the Croat and the world number four secured the vital break in the 12th game. The Scot repeated the feat to go 3-1 up in the second set, only for the leaden skies to interject.

The players shared just two games on the resumption today before yet more wet stuff tipped from the heavens. When the clouds parted, Murray beefed up his returns and serve, too, to finish the set with an astonishing 75% second-serve success rate.

It was similar fare in set three, with the Scot saving four break points in the opening game with 130mph-plus first serves. Allied to a new tracer forehand, the result of endless drills under the stern gaze of Ivan Lendl, it was enough to see off the exhausted Croat, who looked ready for his Horlicks and teddy bear.

Rain delays apart, the gods have smiled kindly on Murray this fortnight, with Nadal unceremoniously removed and the potentially tricky Cilic sleepwalking his way to defeat.

Neat and clinical though this performance was, the Scot will need to up his game as he meets the Duracell bunny, David Ferrer, tomorrow, in a second consecutive slam quarter-final.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy July 03, 2012, 04:21 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 02:17 PM »

Well that went from depression to absolute delight very quickly.

A match equivalent to a practice session today. Finishes before his potential opponent. And that opponent is so far looking to be someone he should have no problem with.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:18 PM »

Well that went from depression to absolute delight very quickly.

A match equivalent to a practice session today. Finishes before his potential opponent. And that opponent is so far looking to be someone he should have no problem with.

No problem with? Ferrer won a grass title last week and beat Murray less than a month ago. From what I've seen, Ferrer is going to provide one hell of a test.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:21 PM »

Yeah I'm more worried about the prospect of him meeting Ferrer than Del Potrp
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:22 PM »

No problem with? Ferrer won a grass title last week and beat Murray less than a month ago. From what I've seen, Ferrer is going to provide one hell of a test.
H2H closer than I thought. But for last couple of years Murray is leading 4-3.

So yeah it will be hard but I'm very scared of DP.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 02:24 PM »

So yeah it will be hard but I'm very scared of DP.

That's what she said.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 02:26 PM »

That's what she said.

Rolling Eyes Was waiting for that one lol
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 02:28 PM »

Delpo's movement just isn't good enough - just missed yet another at the net.  Ferrer is a fantastic returner, can get it back from anywhere on the court and never runs out of steam.  Don't know who I'd rather Andy played but we could really do with Delpo taking at least a set and prolonging this match.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 02:30 PM »

I'm very scared of DP.

Sure his hitting is massive, but he moves like a tank out there. Ferrer is looking pretty darn tough.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 02:32 PM »

The privilege of our comm box position is seeing the violence of the ball-striking, and the timing. #Murray has never looked better to me.

DavidLaw ‏@DavidLawTennis
Goran On @bbc5live 'If Murray plays like that, he will reach the final.' Krajicek: 'If Murray plays like that, he will win the title'.  Not getting ahead of ourselves are we  w00t

Kiss of death  Very Happy
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 02:38 PM »

Is it just me or do the courts look really worn this year? They look like they do on the final day and there is a load of tennis still to be played.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 02:41 PM »

Getting to the final is a realistic hope and I'd be very satisfied if he lost at that point.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 02:44 PM »

Murray will face Ferrer who is looking stunning at the moment and very dangerous.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 02:47 PM »

Murray will face Ferrer who is looking stunning at the moment and very dangerous.
Ferrer will face Murray who is looking stunning at the moment and very dangerous.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray hands the Horlicks to Cilic « Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 02:51 PM »

Ferrer is no match for an on form Murray.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »