Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead

(Read 1983 times)
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « on: September 16, 2011, 09:36 PM »

Andy Murray fought off a spirited 3rd set performance from Sebo Kiss 6-0 6-2 7-6(2) to help Great Britain to a two rubber lead against Hungary.

Murray strolled though the first set without any trouble. During the second set Kiss, a law student who only plays tennis part time, started to raise his game as he became more use to Murray's game.

As the match came to, what seemed to be the conclusion, Kiss won 3 games in a row to level the set at 5 each (including a hold from 0-40) as his confidence increased and Murray became more anxious to close out the match. The set went into a tie-break where the Scot closed the match out.

In the earlier match, James Ward produced a battling performance, which included sickness and cramps, to beat Attila Balazs 6-4 6-4 4-6 6-4.

Tomorrow, Colin Fleming and Ross Hutchins are expected to play in the doubles with a victory sealing Great Britain's return to Euro/Africa Zone 1.
[ Last edit by Mark September 16, 2011, 10:54 PM ] IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 09:41 PM »

IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 09:56 PM »

Well done guys wish i could have seen it.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 10:27 PM »

Well done guys - difficult for both in different ways.  James suffering badly from cramp in the third and fourth sets and Andy clearly beginning to feel the jet-lag in the third but they both came through to do Britain proud.
IP Logged
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 01:00 AM »

Andy did what he needed to do and played some good tennis in the process. Understandably so soon after his exertions in NY he got a bit jaded and lost focus a bit towards the end (and Kiss proved to be a decent player as the match went on) but all in all another satisfying performance for GB..in his pre-match Eurosport interview he once again expressed a desire to take the no.3 ranking by the end of the year which was very pleasing. Hopefully this means we might be enjoying seeing Andy claim another title or two in the next few weeks. cmon yeah
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:46 AM »

Ranking points as of Monday,12/9/11:

1/ Djokovic                 14,720
   2/ Nadal                10,620
   3/ Federer                  8,380
   4/ Murray                  7,165 (- 1215)
   5/ Ferrer             4,200 (- 2965)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 05:23 AM »

Given that Andy only flew to the UK on Monday he must have still been suffering the effects of jetlag and his exertions at the USO, so all power to him for keeping his commitment to the Davis Cup in the first place.

I think Kiss gave everyone a bit of a shock, probably including Andy, when he turned up the heat in the 3rd set.  He played some very good shots and also had something going on between the ears tactically, and it was great to hear Andy, and the crowd, acknowledge that prowess.

James did himself proud by hanging on in there despite his problems.

Very well done to both.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:00 AM »

Thanks tomthoms............well done Andy and James on winning their matches. Andy looks tired, and no wonder, he's has had  a tough fortnight and is bound to be jet lagged also.  Hope he has a few days rest after Davis Cup.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:05 AM »

Given that Andy only flew to the UK on Monday he must have still been suffering the effects of jetlag and his exertions at the USO, so all power to him for keeping his commitment to the Davis Cup in the first place.

A nice effort, but Cordoba it was not.  I watched some of the Ferrer/Simon match and highlights of Nadal/Gasquet - none appearing to be "suffering" jetlag and the reported 4-setter which Federer won against Hewitt in far away Australia.  I hope that in a couple of years' time Murray will lead out a formidable GB Davis Cup team onto a full house Centre Court at Wimbledon, then I'll be impressed.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 10:26 AM »

No, it wasn't Cordoba, nor did it have to be - you can only play the player at the other end of the court.  Well done to Andy and to James for doing what had to be done.  Undoubtedly, a packed (if it was packed - which I doubt for Davis Cup) Centre Court at Wimbledon would increase the crowd numerically but I don't think there would be any increase in the intensity or genuineness of the support witnessed at Braehead yesterday.  (I might add that Djokovic chose not to honour his commitment to the Serbian team and they are down 2-0 to Argentina.)
[ Last edit by Alis September 17, 2011, 10:29 AM ] IP Logged
araminta
Futures Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 11:07 AM »

Apparently Nadal was angry that the semis of this tournament come so close to to the US Open
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 11:23 AM »

I'm not surprised - the semis of the Davis Cup is hugely important and it stands to reason that players who go deep into GS tournaments are likely to be playing in the highest ranking Davis Cup teams.  Andy has also said that they have to look at the scheduling of Davis Cup matches.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 11:24 AM »

Ranking points as of Monday,12/9/11:

1/ Djokovic                 14,720
   2/ Nadal                10,620
   3/ Federer                  8,380
   4/ Murray                  7,165 (- 1215)
   5/ Ferrer             4,200 (- 2965)

Sorry to be a thickie - why does Andy have -1215 and what does it signify?
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 11:26 AM »

Sorry to be a thickie - why does Andy have -1215 and what does it signify?
I think it's the number of ranking points he currently has compared to Federer.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 11:54 AM »

I think it's the number of ranking points he currently has compared to Federer.

Thanks Allan - it's obvious now - thickie I am!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »