Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead

(Read 1973 times)
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 12:21 PM »

Thanks Allan - it's obvious now - thickie I am!

That's it! The numbers enclosed in the brackets is the total points the player is behind the player above him. Andy is 1215 points behind Federer.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 04:10 PM »

Apparently Nadal woiias angry that the semis of this tournament come so close to to the US Open
I'm not surprised - the semis of the Davis Cup is hugely important and it stands to reason that players who go deep into GS tournaments are likely to be playing in the highest ranking Davis Cup teams.  Andy has also said that they have to look at the scheduling of Davis Cup matches.
I agree.  I think that it's absolutely ridiculous that crucial DC ties come right on top of Slams.  Some very poor thinking going on there with the schedulers.

IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 05:45 PM »

I'm thoroughly enjoying the GB/Hungary match - what's not to enjoy?  Great cameraderie amongst the guys, Andy looking relaxed and very much at home in his home country, great support, and, most importantly, FUN.  Even the Hungarians appear to be enjoying themselves.   Channel-hopping over to the Spain/France match during the ads and instead of the cool, intimate Braehead Arena, we have the intense heat and hostile environment of the bull ring in Cordoba.  Serious faces, angry Nadal, and the vile Barry Cowan commentating, so thrillled that I could switch back to the much friendlier and happier Glasgow venue.

Eurosport have done us proud but one thing is bothering me, what the hell is Federer's face doing fronting up the ad breaks?  He's playing down-under right now, on the other side of the world, so why use his mug shot when covering a DC match between GB and Hungary?   He's got a face that would sour a lemon, and I would much prefer Andy to him any day, especially as he is actually playing in the match!  Of course we all know that Eurosport adore jolly Roger but using his picture for this match is  inappropriate. 

IP Logged
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 06:32 PM »

I'm thoroughly enjoying the GB/Hungary match - what's not to enjoy?  Great cameraderie amongst the guys, Andy looking relaxed and very much at home in his home country, great support, and, most importantly, FUN.  Even the Hungarians appear to be enjoying themselves.   Channel-hopping over to the Spain/France match during the ads and instead of the cool, intimate Braehead Arena, we have the intense heat and hostile environment of the bull ring in Cordoba.  Serious faces, angry Nadal, and the vile Barry Cowan commentating, so thrillled that I could switch back to the much friendlier and happier Glasgow venue.

Eurosport have done us proud but one thing is bothering me, what the hell is Federer's face doing fronting up the ad breaks?  He's playing down-under right now, on the other side of the world, so why use his mug shot when covering a DC match between GB and Hungary?   He's got a face that would sour a lemon, and I would much prefer Andy to him any day, especially as he is actually playing in the match!  Of course we all know that Eurosport adore jolly Roger but using his picture for this match is  inappropriate. 

:clap:Well said, I had thought that too, why Fed? He's not even no.1 anymore (and never will be again)!
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 06:35 AM »

Well done, Andy & all!!
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 08:40 PM »

I had thought that too, why Fed? He's not even no.1 anymore (and never will be again)!

Also am I right in thinking he has been rather less than committed to Davis Cup over the years?  It would make more sense to use Djoko or Rafa.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 05:50 AM »

Also am I right in thinking he has been rather less than committed to Davis Cup over the years?  It would make more sense to use Djoko or Rafa.
You're right.  Fed has been in trouble with the Swiss tennis authorities for his repeated non-appearance in DC ties.  Of course he absolutely had to play in this one (if he hasn't already played one this year) in order to qualify for the Olympics, where the rule is that players wishing to represent their country must play in at least one DC tie in the year prior to the qualifying date of March 2012.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #22 on: September 20, 2011, 06:34 PM »

I'm no Federer fan but perhaps he chose to play this one as it was unlikely that Switzerland would get back into the World Group without him.  Having said that I'm pretty sure Olympic qualification would have had a lot to do with it too!
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #23 on: September 20, 2011, 07:56 PM »

It seems on Twitter there is a poll as to who is the greatest in this DC tie, Nadal seems to be the favorite....I say vote for Andy, he won his match in straight sets and had the same jet lag as Rafa.  first
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #24 on: September 21, 2011, 06:27 AM »

I'm no Federer fan but perhaps he chose to play this one as it was unlikely that Switzerland would get back into the World Group without him.  Having said that I'm pretty sure Olympic qualification would have had a lot to do with it too!
You're right about the Olympic Qualification Alis! Fed said some time ago that he was looking forward to playing in the Olympics, so that probably had everything to do with it!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 07:23 AM »

Caz: Fed obviously wants a gold medal to go with that gold bag...Wink
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 08:30 AM »

Yes....BBH! As a matter of fact, I seem to remember some mention of a Gold Medal at the time! Whistle
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 11:35 AM »

He already has one for the doubles but not for the singles.  Do you think he might retire if he won?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 01:38 PM »

He already has one for the doubles but not for the singles.  Do you think he might retire if he won?

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised. Inevitably he will slip down the rankings, albeit slowly. I can't think he'll want to go out of the top 10, can you? Can't remember what ranking Sampras was when he quit but do remember he'd started to lose on a regular basis. Fed has quite a large ego, can't imagine him coping with being beaten on a regular basis.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray helps GB to Davis Cup lead « Reply #29 on: September 21, 2011, 02:09 PM »

Yeah I can't see Fed carrying on if he starting losing to people he usually beat easily. Seems quite a long way off though as he's only struggling against the top players (and even then, he beat Novak at the FO and should have beaten him at the USO too). He'd actually already qualified for the Olympics before the latest Davis Cup tie (he played in July) so I think he travelled to Australia to help Switzerland get promoted to the World Group.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »