Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez

(Read 3817 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « on: March 11, 2012, 10:28 AM »

Andy Murray has shockingly crashed out of the Indian Wells Masters in his first match, going down 6-4 6-2 to Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.

The Spaniard was ranked as high as 23 in the world last year, but recent times have been leaner and Garcia-Lopez currently occupies the world number 92 spot.

The chief culprit for Murray, as it had been in his Dubai final against Roger Federer, was his usually reliable backhand. A first-serve conversion rate of 48% was never going to make Garcia-Lopez sweat too much, either.

The Spaniard and the Scot held their own until 4-4, but Garcia-Lopez stole a break when Murray dumped a forehand into the net. A routine hold followed, and the Spaniard continued the good work in the second set, plundering the Scot's serve and wayward backhand at will.

Murray will be especially concerned about the number of chances he blew. The world number four spurned opportunities to break from 0-40 twice and donated far too many points through poorly guided groundstrokes.

Read more (234 words)
If there's any consolation to be drawn from this defeat by Murray fans, it is that the British number one's frame of mind at least looks better than this time 12 months ago, when he exited this event in similarly ignominious fashion to Donald Young.

In 2011, Indian Wells was part of a huge post-Australian Open blowout that lasted until the start of the clay season. "In comparison to how I felt coming in here last year, it was night and day. I was feeling way more focused and confident, so I'm not sure exactly why that happened tonight," said Murray.

"I played great in practice, was hitting the ball really well," he added. "I felt pretty fresh. I didn't move my best tonight, but it didn't feel like I was moving really badly. He hardly missed the ball the whole match. He was playing with a lot of spin. It almost felt like playing the match on a clay court. I wasn't able to hit through the court and I squandered so many chances."

This springtime offers rich pickings for the Scot. With so few ranking points to defend, he will have seen this event and the Miami Masters, where he again went down early last year to Alex Bogomolov, as opportunities to close the gap on the top three. Murray's reaction when the circuit rolls round to Crandon Park will be interesting.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 11:08 AM »

What a disappointment! I didn't see the match because I am away from home this weekend and I'm catching up on what I thought would be a routine match on my daughter'a laptop. I was so looking forward to Andy's games this week. Never mind - Miami next - perhaps he will recover - or perhaps it's just 'that time of the year again' positive feelings or no. Many thanks for a good report Nigel.
[ Last edit by janscribe March 11, 2012, 11:12 AM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 12:08 PM »

WTF??!! Dearie dearie me.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:14 PM »

Awful performance - and once again highlights the difference between Murray and the top 3. Murray seems to regularly suffer these upsets, the others no more than once or twice a year (if that).
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 12:21 PM »

Murray seems to regularly suffer these upsets, the others no more than once or twice a year (if that).

Does he? I'm not sure he does. I can't recall another such defeat since this period last year, when he went into his post-AO spiral. I think he's pretty reliable at dealing with the lesser lights.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #5 on: March 11, 2012, 12:27 PM »

Awful performance - and once again highlights the difference between Murray and the top 3. Murray seems to regularly suffer these upsets, the others no more than once or twice a year (if that).

A slight overreaction I think. Sure it was a bad day at the office but as long as Andy picks himself up for Miami and puts in a good clay court run then it'll set up well for Roland Garros and Wimbledon.

It's fortunate that Andy has zero points to defend for IW and Miami so not a disaster but it would put a dent in his chances to advance further up the rankings.

Ultimately, as long as Andy brings his A game in all 4 slams and doesn't perform the same in the remaining Masters 1000 then all will be fine. I'm sure he's had an earful from Ivan already and will look to address parts of his game ahead of Miami.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 12:42 PM »

I was very disappointed when I heard the result. I have'nt seen the match. I think once again Andy gets very nervous especially on his first match. I just hope he improves as the year goes on. He really needs something to help him with this, perhaps some meditation that helps his concentration. Some people will say its rubbish but if he can overcome his nerves and just focus on his game it may help him.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 01:08 PM »

Didn't see the match but what a disappointment.  Just when I thought that perhaps the Murray roller-coaster wouldn't be lurching just so much.
Wtf has happened to his bh then?  It went awol against smugfed and sounds like it's on semi-permanent leave from last night's match.
I know we shouldn't overreact and am hoping it's just one of those blips when Andy not quite ready at start of a tourno like at start of US swing last Summer.  And did sound from Jonathan Overend's comments on radio that GL was playing well above his ranking.  But I find it rather worrying that Andy himself can't explain it - or perhaps he can but for once is being canny and isn't letting on. 
Not sure when he's playing dubs but hope that can help get the defeat out of his system and then hope that Mr L can sort out whatever has happened to Andy's bh and  put him back on track generally,  This is the first bad defeat since they hooked up so will be interesting how Mr L reacts though of course we won't know.
As for me I wasn't going to be able to watch hardly any of it anyway as away from home till friday this week, Roll on Miami and let's hope Andy can put this behind him well and truly.
I agree with littlebuddha that meditation might help Andy or some other similar way of helping him to centre himself and overcome any nerves or even just lack of focus.
IP Logged
reef
Junior

coral reef

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:21 PM »

I have the feeling that Andy thinks himself into the very situation he fears  (i.e. - I do hope I don't go out in my first match like last year and blow some valuable points).

Not for the first time, I do wonder if he has ever consulted a sports psychologist as I don't believe he has technical weaknesses in his game but having had problems with the bh in Dubai, is he now thinking himself into a state where he fears he cannot rely on it?

I watched Berdych struggle against Stackovsky (sp?) yesterday but ultimately get his act together and come through.  At this stage in his career you would expect the same from Andy and I agree with boogers that this is the difference between Andy and the top 3.

I too am so disappointed....
IP Logged
ak400
Futures Level

16 Grand Slams = peRFection

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 01:23 PM »

Does he? I'm not sure he does. I can't recall another such defeat since this period last year, when he went into his post-AO spiral. I think he's pretty reliable at dealing with the lesser lights.

Murray hanst had such a loss for a while but he did lose to Anderson in a similar fashion in Montreal
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 01:55 PM »

Reef as you hint at we've had long debates about the sports psychologist option.  I had hoped that, given Andy seems to be averse to the idea having not been v impressed last time he used one, Lendl would be able to provide something similar. And perhaps he still can.  Too early to say he can't.  Perhaps there was something of the self-fulfilling prophecy there though alternatively it could be that he underestimated GL who he has beaten easily in the past and sounded to be playing v well.  And all the travelling might not have helped Andy,  But none of that explains why the bh went awol in the first place and one would have hoped he would have worked on it last week after the defeat by smugfed.
If it is a repeat of Montreal, then let's hope he continues to repeat history and goes on to win Miami.  We can only live in hope after one of these disappointing upsets.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 02:09 PM »

Oh for goodness sake give Andy a break. Garcia- Lopez played out of his skin and Andy just did not seem to get his backhand firing. He was trying to play aggressively but his shots kept going just long.Playing aggressively meant he made far too many errors, but sometimes when you are changing your game this can happen. He will put this match behind him, discuss what went on with Ivan, have some sessions with him before Miami, and I'm positive he will make amends. If I hear anymore about a sport psychologist I think I will scream, I'm sure Andy is sick to death hearing about it. How do you know he hasn't seen one?
Andy's new game will take a little while to bed in, he did say his forehand was working really well in practice, once it all clicks and his confidence grows with it we will see the difference. I'm sure Ivan won't be as negative as some as the members on this site. He will start with the positive and then look at what went wrong with Andy's game. Give them both a break please.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 04:24 PM »

When you are trying new things they don't always click straight away and this loss, while disappointing, is certainly not the end of the world.  Give Andy and Ivan time - I'm sure we'll see the results later in the season.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 04:35 PM »

Oh for goodness sake give Andy a break. Garcia- Lopez played out of his skin and Andy just did not seem to get his backhand firing. He was trying to play aggressively but his shots kept going just long.Playing aggressively meant he made far too many errors, but sometimes when you are changing your game this can happen. He will put this match behind him, discuss what went on with Ivan, have some sessions with him before Miami, and I'm positive he will make amends. If I hear anymore about a sport psychologist I think I will scream, I'm sure Andy is sick to death hearing about it. How do you know he hasn't seen one?
Andy's new game will take a little while to bed in, he did say his forehand was working really well in practice, once it all clicks and his confidence grows with it we will see the difference. I'm sure Ivan won't be as negative as some as the members on this site. He will start with the positive and then look at what went wrong with Andy's game. Give them both a break please.
clap  Good posting!  I agree with you  Im sure Miami will be a whole lot better  yay  cmon yeah upwards and onwards for Miami  cmon yeah
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 04:36 PM »

Murray's been working his skin off on his forehand. Sometimes, when you focus so much on one shot, your others can take a holiday. He says, speaking from bitter experience.

Whistle
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »