Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez

(Read 4018 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 04:38 PM »

Michelle and Alis
Thanks for bringing a more positive perspective to our post mortems. Hands up as one of those who has perhaps been unduly negative.  I think it's partly that it's difficult not to worry that we're somehow seeing a repeat of last year although it was clear from dubai there was no post-AO slump as such.  As Andy himself said only recently none of the top players can really afford off periods as it's so competitive up there. 
But perhaps he does need to be more prepared for lesser players to really come at him especially in early rounds like this.
That said I agree we have to give him and Ivan time.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 04:52 PM »

Murray's been working his skin off on his forehand. Sometimes, when you focus so much on one shot, your others can take a holiday. He says, speaking from bitter experience.

Whistle

Nail hit on the head.

I'm experiencing a similar thing. Having taken up tennis only 7 months ago, my strongest shot has always been the FH but in the last 2 months, I've done a lot of work on my 2BH and BH slices and drop shots and now has become my strongest wing. Some matches, my FH can be a bit wayward so I'll need to work on the FH again.

Andy is probably going through a similar thing in reverse.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 04:55 PM »

Nail hit on the head.

I'm experiencing a similar thing. Having taken up tennis only 7 months ago, my strongest shot has always been the FH but in the last 2 months, I've done a lot of work on my 2BH and BH slices and drop shots and now has become my strongest wing. Some matches, my FH can be a bit wayward so I'll need to work on the FH again.

Andy is probably going through a similar thing in reverse.

Yeah, when I was a junior, I had no backhand whatsoever. I worked my socks off at it and it's now probably the best backhand in the league.

I last hit a winner on my forehand in 1992.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 06:57 PM »

Oh for goodness sake give Andy a break. Garcia- Lopez played out of his skin and Andy just did not seem to get his backhand firing. He was trying to play aggressively but his shots kept going just long.Playing aggressively meant he made far too many errors, but sometimes when you are changing your game this can happen. He will put this match behind him, discuss what went on with Ivan, have some sessions with him before Miami, and I'm positive he will make amends. If I hear anymore about a sport psychologist I think I will scream, I'm sure Andy is sick to death hearing about it. How do you know he hasn't seen one?
Andy's new game will take a little while to bed in, he did say his forehand was working really well in practice, once it all clicks and his confidence grows with it we will see the difference. I'm sure Ivan won't be as negative as some as the members on this site. He will start with the positive and then look at what went wrong with Andy's game. Give them both a break please.

As I said on the other thread Lopez played out of his skin because Andy has a reputation of having the jitters and struggling in his first matches. Until he can get past this they will all fancy their chances and sometimes, like last night, it will pay off.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 06:57 PM »

Let's look at this from a different perspective. Has anyone considered another possible reason for Andy's failures against Federer and Garcia-Lopez?

Andy under Lendl's guidance has been working extremely hard on forehand, keeping close to the byeline and using aggressive play. All of the workings have been in the warmth of Miami and during the daytime. When he played his matches in Dubai, they were all at the sunniest and hottest and he succeeded as we knew he would. However, when he had to play at night, our Andy was not totally ready. Hence his losses in both matches.

Maybe this is something that has to be considered in going forward. Nevertheless, Andy's talent is there for all to see and whether he is to win the Slam he deserves and desires will not detract from Andy's being the most successful Briton on the field of tennis for 70-odd years or perhaps ever.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 07:09 PM »

And 2 weeks ago we were complaining he always got the afternoon matches and had to play in the heat. Sorry but just another excuse. He played badly, hopefully a blip. Last week he beats Novak this week he will have given the top three their confidence back.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 07:46 PM »

This often happens. Players who have won a tournament or got to the finals, often loose in the next.

I do not think there is anything worry about. just let it rest he will now move on to Miami having played doubles in IW with brother jaime. Everyone sees things that do not exist. andy is fine, he does not want his fans to start worrying.

I actually think he plays much better when lendl is present. this will be something they have to work out in their partnership.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 08:24 PM »

I didn't watch the match but am very disappointed at the result.  Whatver the reason for his defeat the harsh fact is that none of the top 3 would allow themsleves to lose in their first match against a player they should beat.  They might struggle a little but find a way of coming through in the end.    If nervousness is indeed the cause then hopefully Lendl might suggest a way he could cope with this.

This often happens. Players who have won a tournament or got to the finals, often loose in the next.

I actually think he plays much better when lendl is present. this will be something they have to work out in their partnership.
Again you won't find this happening to the top three.  Also Lendl cannot always be present at his matches, and indeed he wasn't present in Dubai yet Andy got to the final, so that reason doesn't hold much water here.

Well I guess we just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope that Andy does better in Miami.  
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 08:31 PM »

Don't know whether I want him and Jamie to do well in the doubles or not, would it be better for him to get to Miami and practice??
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 08:33 PM »

Don't know whether I want him and Jamie to do well in the doubles or not, would it be better for him to get to Miami and practice??
can't be easy for him to hang around after that loss,But maybe they will have a good time.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 08:33 PM »

Gutted at the result but think some postings on here are a bit OTT, yep disappointing result, gutted he is out.  However, everyone has "a bad day at the office" it is just that his bad days are very public.  Cut the guy some slack, he will be the one that is beating himself up about it much more than anyone else.  Andy is a tennis player in transition, trying to play in a different way, it will happen for him.  For people to say that Lendl is having no impact - rubbish, for people to say Lendl's agreement is no use cos he was not present at Indian Wells, whose to say that he had commitments in place for this week before he hooked up with Andy that he had to honour.  This is a battle that Andy has lost, he has not lost the War, that takes place in May at RG, July at Wimbledon and in September in NY.  Andy is a complex kinda guy whose mental fortitude may take a wee bit longer to iron out, stick with it, it is the perils of supporting a guy who is a tennis genius.  We know what he can do, we want him to do, believe and trust him to get there.  One minor blip will not derail Andy's mission, it will just make him more determined.  Defeat is disappointing but will make his success even sweeter.   In Andy and Lendl we trust.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 08:38 PM »

Will come round to your way of thinking Murray Magic in a day or two right now my disapointment is making it hard to be as rational as you.
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 08:43 PM »

Do people remember when Federer lost of Melzer in Monte Carlo and Rafa to Dodig in Montreal last year?

Top players can lose matches, it happens. Everyone maintains that it's slams that count so should Andy turn up for the slams and achieves better results at RG, Wimbledon and USO than 2011 then I'm more relaxed about the odd blip.

GGL playing out of his skin can happen but let's see if he can back this up against Harrison.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 08:56 PM »

Sky comms were more philosophical than many on MW today - and I'm talking about those who are usually quick to come down hard on Andy such as Cowan.  The suggestion was that yes Andy was not playing well today but the very slow court aggravated that - not an excuse but a factor and GL was able to take advantage.  Apparently at night the court is playing more like a clay court.  So OSS yes the fact that Andy had been practising in the heat may well have been a factor,  And the reason some of us complained that he had all day matches in Dubai was precisely because they did not prepare him for the night match he had to play in the finals.  Of course, he should be ready for anything but on a 'bad day at the office' I guess it's harder to play against the conditions when they don't suit your game. 
I hope he plays well with Jamie to help restore confidence.   But whether better for them to win or lose, so he can get over to Miami and start practising there - not sure.   
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray in shocking exit to Garcia-Lopez « Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 11:28 PM »

Good report, Nigel & thanks for not picking Andy to bits in it & for standing up for him in your follow up replies.  Good for you.  Tomorrow is another day.  Now some on this forum are even talking about putting him on medication!  It boggles the mind, whatever next!

Some of the remarks about Lendl, as in “Ivan the terrible” are also getting tiresome. I liked Michelle’s remark, “I'm sure Ivan won't be as negative as some as the members on this site. He will start with the positive …”    Onward & Upward.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »