Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer

(Read 2766 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « on: October 13, 2012, 03:34 PM »

Andy Murray produced a performance of total mental and physical dominance today to outplay and out-think Roger Federer 6-4 6-4 in the semi-final of the Shanghai Rolex Masters.

A match of, at times, quite blistering fare began with an electrifying service break from the Scot, locking up Federer in his backhand corner, firing winners at will and giving the 15,000 largely pro-Federer crowd something to chew on other than Chow Mein and their next stadium tour of Old Trafford.

The Swiss struck back immediately with some aggressive play of his own, but this was Murray’s day. His stunning return of serve off both wings, often in the shape of outright winners, had Federer quaking like a Persian kitten in Battersea Dogs’ Home. It resulted in a (probably) unprecedented three consecutive double faults, to hand Murray his second break at 2-2.

Read more (200 words)
With Federer winning just 18% of points on his second serve, Murray’s blistering groundshot returns and beefy first serve - behind which he won 87% of the points - sealed the first set.

An epic game edged by Federer at the start of the second was punctuated by around half a dozen raindrops and the Swiss man’s desperate attempt to convert the contest into an indoor match. The rain abated but there was no let-up from Murray, who scorched three eyeblink forehand winners past the top seed to break for 3-2.

The relentless pounding on return of serve continued until 5-4 when, with the Scot patiently waiting to serve for the match, the rain intervened once again. The players trooped off for half an hour, the roof petals elaborately came together and thoughts turned to Federer’s indomitable indoor record.

But the Swiss wasn’t allowed to bring it to bear. Murray served out to 15 and shook hands on a consummate performance that surely sets the seal on the new world order in men’s tennis. In tomorrow’s final, the Scot faces Novak Djokovic, the other factor in that exciting premise, as the Serb looks for sweet revenge following his US Open final demise.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy October 13, 2012, 04:11 PM ] IP Logged
Tommy Tucker
Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 03:35 PM »

Great show from Murray - big shame about the lack of respect towards him throughout the match from the Shanghai crowd though.  Probably a good thing for them and for tennis that they see that RF is NOT a god.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 03:37 PM »

A much better match than I was expecting. Murray was aggressive on all wings and his return of serve was ridiculously good.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 03:39 PM »

What I want to know is: technically, does this count as beating Federer indoors?
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 03:40 PM »

Can someone tellme how Federer managed to win 8 games.  6-2, 6-0 would have been a far reflection.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 03:49 PM »

Despite the disgusting 'sportsmanship' of his opponent, the on-again/off-again rain, the open/closed roof, the lengthy break, the pro-Fed crowd....Andy the Patient Great Returner Warrior has treated us to a match akin to his Gold Medal Win.

Andy was two types of Sick today.

So glad I've got this on tape (rubs hands with glee!)

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 03:50 PM »

Wow Andy.  There was me preparing myself for a defeat given Andy's bronchial infection and he goes out and plays a blinder.  Some of his returns were just extraordinary.   Loved Peter Fleming's comment early in the match: anyone watching in the locker room be afraid very afraid.  He seemed to have found his serve again, more or less, but was worried about that forehand some of the time.  Still this was a very good example of how Andy gets under smugfed's skin.  Interesting theory from Peter F: that is why Andy's record against smugfed is better than nole's ie Andy got under his skin very early on and he simply dislikes him and   therefore there is more emotion involved in matches against him.  All those dfs from smugfed - tee hee.  He had that sucking lemons look I love to see on his face when Andy is outplaying him.    clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
And now the H2H is 10-8  yay
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 03:53 PM »

Despite the disgusting 'sportsmanship' of his opponent, the on-again/off-again rain, the open/closed roof, the lengthy break, the pro-Fed crowd....Andy the Patient Great Returner Warrior has treated us to a match akin to his Gold Medal Win.

Andy was two types of Sick today.

So glad I've got this on tape (rubs hands with glee!)

Oh yes smugfed's 'polite' questioning of playing when about 3 rain drops fell was just sickening.  So glad Andy able to ignore the crowd - and hope he heard the few lonely voices shouting come on Andy.
Will probably watch again on highlights later and this is one to order from the dvd treasure trove I think.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 03:54 PM »

Wow Andy.  There was me preparing myself for a defeat given Andy's bronchial infection and he goes out and plays a blinder.  Some of his returns were just extraordinary.   Loved Peter Fleming's comment early in the match: anyone watching in the locker room be afraid very afraid.  He seemed to have found his serve again, more or less, but was worried about that forehand some of the time.  Still this was a very good example of how Andy gets under smugfed's skin.  Interesting theory from Peter F: that is why Andy's record against smugfed is better than nole's ie Andy got under his skin very early on and he simply dislikes him and   therefore there is more emotion involved in matches against him.  All those dfs from smugfed - tee hee.  He had that sucking lemons look I love to see on his face when Andy is outplaying him.    clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
And now the H2H is 10-8  yay

Ruthie I heard Peter Fleming say that and thought it was really intersting, given the acidic and quite scathing nature of some of the comments Federerer has made towards Andy that would now seem to make sense.  So good that Andy has always been so complimentary and respectful and has emerged the much better person through all of it. 
IP Logged
tennis_girl
World No 1

Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 03:56 PM »

One of my favourite headlines ever.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 03:57 PM »

It really was a brilliant performance, aided by a number of Federer errors. But then you get the feeling that most of them were forced, either from Murray's play or Federer's apprehension. Now Murray's forehand has turned from a weakness to a weapon, Federer had no idea where to go with his shots, or his serves for that matter. Scintillating returning performance.

Murray is such a joy to watch when he plays this aggressive. Which is why it's so infuriating when he plays passively and allows his opponent to dictate, like the opening set against Stepanek.

Just looking at the stats - I didn't realise Murray faced only the single break point all match!
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter October 13, 2012, 04:03 PM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 03:58 PM »

Great match by magical Andy. The match yesterday really tuned Andy to the conditions as I expected they would. I just had a very calm feeling that Andy would win. Great to see him put Fed in his place despite trying to disrupt Andy with his gamesmanship. Whistle Delighted that it back fired. yay yay clap
IP Logged
Tennisanyone
Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 04:00 PM »

Murray is emerging on the scene now that Nadal is away...once the king of clay returns...Murray will be placed under check...Old man Fed face has done enough...it's really over 4 him.....Djoker.....now let's see what happens..... it's Murray time until and if Nadal does ever return 100%.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 04:03 PM »

another point made by the comms is that smugfed appears to play without a game plan because he trusts his shot making.  I think this will have taught him he can't play our Andy without one.  Comms certainly thought all those dfs from smugfed were due to his fear of how Andy was chewing up his 2nd serve.  If Andy hadn't got inside his head before (and I think he had), he sure has now eh   w00t
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray inflicts Chinese torture on Federer « Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 04:03 PM »

Murray is emerging on the scene now that Nadal is away...once the king of clay returns...Murray will be placed under check...Old man Fed face has done enough...it's really over 4 him.....Djoker.....now let's see what happens..... it's Murray time until and if Nadal does ever return 100%.
Nadal will only be dominant on the Clay. Andy and Novak have his number on the hard courts. Haven't forgotten that Tokyo final so soon have we? What was the score again?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »