Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray into semis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray into semis

(Read 1590 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Murray into semis « on: October 05, 2012, 09:45 AM »

Andy Murray fought past Stanislas Wawrinka to book a place in the semi finals of the Japan Open. The Scot eventually defeated his Swiss Opponent 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 in just over two hours.

Wawrinka last beat Murray at the 2010 US Open. Since then he has failed to trouble the top four, losing 13 matches on the bounce.  This looked set to continue as the Scot cruised through the opening set, breaking his opponent twice.

The Swiss had other ideas. His fearsome ground-strokes began to find the lines and Murray was suddenly under pressure. The US Open champion saved two break points at 1-2, but succumbed to a third. The Scot had a chance to break straight back but Wawrinka held strong and served his way out of trouble.

This was as far as the comeback went. Murray cantered through the third set and booked is place in the semis where Milos Raonic awaits.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:07 AM »

The enthusiasm is back - I found myself cursing at the loss of the second set over breakfast! lol

How great it is though to be able to watch this sort of match in the year 0 AS (In the year of the Slam) and know not agonise over what sort of effect it will have on his next Slam performance.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:08 AM »

One more win and the streak hits double digits!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:19 AM »

The enthusiasm is back - I found myself cursing at the loss of the second set over breakfast! lol

How great it is though to be able to watch this sort of match in the year 0 AS (In the year of the Slam) and know not agonise over what sort of effect it will have on his next Slam performance.
Perhaps we'll need to start counting years as BS and AS Joe [before and after slam]. It does make a difference doesn't it.  While I was annoyed that Andy let Stan back in it somehow feels different knowing that Andy is a GS champion so not the end of the world if he falters occasionally.   Haven't watched the whole match but there was some beautiful shot-making to enjoy on the way.  Just hope his back holds up as it looked sore.
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 10:56 AM »

...there was some beautiful shot-making...

As well as a painfully embarrassing bit of showboating!

doh lmao
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:26 AM »

Why is it being said the Andy battled his way past Stan surely the score and comments being made it was too much of a battle?  Hoefully his back holds up as it was at the end of the season last he was plagued by injury.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 11:32 AM »

Hi All,

Well I'm amazed at myself. Andy dropped a set and I didn't resort to excessive use of expletives. One or two might have slipped out, just little ones, but I never said I was perfect Whistle.

To be truthful, Andy's little dip, or Stan lifting his game, whichever way you choose to look at it, is my fault. Seriously, there he was, cruising along quite happily, and then I wake up and put the TV on and he drops his first set of the week. My fault, sorry Andy love!

Seriously though, it is different, isn't it, that feeling that he can have a bit of a dip and it isn't necessarily the end of the world? My blood pressure and my vocabulary will appreciate it greatly, I'm sure.

I haven't seen all of the match yet. I definitely want to see that first set. Peter Fleming sounded almost beside himself when I put the TV on this morning.

I suppose a bit of a lull after that was a bit naughty, but sort of inevitable. We've all undoubtedly seen it happen after any player cruises through a set. The hotdog attempt was a tad silly, but we would all have said he was awesome if he'd pulled it off, and it's not as if he hasn't before.

Has anyone ever noticed though, how weird it is to watch tennis with someone who doesn't get how awesome a players shotmaking skills are? I was sorting myself out, getting up, that sort of thing, when Andy was on today, and one of my carers was here. Now, this particular one doesn't like sport, doesn't take any interest in sport, and thinks I'm mad about the tennis (well, she might have a point!), but there was me oohing and ahhing over Andy (I'm not sure he should do that to me when I'm only half dressed, it could be considered rude lol) and my carer is staring blankly at the screen. Funny woman........

Going back to expletives, just now I called Nishikori a silly sod for letting Berdych get a grip on the first set. It seems I've merely transferred who I swear at lol.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 11:38 AM »

As well as a painfully embarrassing bit of showboating!

doh lmao
yes don't think he'll try that again in a hurry.
tj - Berdych's grip didn't last did it - go Kei go
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 11:43 AM »

yes don't think he'll try that again in a hurry.
tj - Berdych's grip didn't last did it - go Kei go

True, very true. I might resort to smacking him if he lets it slip now lol. I can't stand Berdych!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 11:44 AM »

me neither and do like Kei.  smack away
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:50 AM »

me neither and do like Kei.  smack away

LOL. Actually, I'll tell you what, should Kei, who I like, lose, I'll thump Berdych. That will make me feel better lol. The only problem with that is that he's bigger than me, but most people are, so it might not be a problem lol.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 11:54 AM »

One more win and the streak hits double digits!
It's already 10 on the bounce no? 7 at the US and 3 in Tokyo.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 12:14 PM »

I do believe I dislike Berdych even more than I dislike Fed - is that possible?
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 12:23 PM »

Is there actually anything wrong with his back?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray into semis « Reply #14 on: October 05, 2012, 12:27 PM »

I do believe I dislike Berdych even more than I dislike Fed - is that possible?

I'd say it's a dead heat for me. Can't choose which one of them I dislike the most. The weird thing is that for me it's Fed's arrogance that makes me despise him. With Berdych I don't know what it is. I don't like some of his behaviour, like the way he got over the cap incident in the US, that sort of thing, but I don't know. There's just 'something' about him that rankles with me.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »