Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray keeps marching on 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray keeps marching on

(Read 1265 times)
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Murray keeps marching on « on: November 09, 2011, 12:58 PM »

Andy Murray started his campaign for a fourth consecutive ATP Tour title with a 6-2 6-4 win over Jeremy Chardy.

After an injury niggle in Basel last week, it was hard to predict the level of tennis that Murray was going to produce, but he answered any questions with aplomb, particularly in the first set. Given the temperamental nature of his opponent, the Briton tightened up his game, and it took four games before Murray made his first unforced error, a remarkable statistic.

The courts at Bercy have received a fair dose of criticism over the weekend due to their slow pace. However, it was evident early on that Murray was benefiting from this, as his mercurial French counterpart failed to show any real consistency with his groundstrokes.

Chardy, buoyed by the vibrant home crowd, showed more candour in the second set. Bercy has been a fecund land for emerging French talent over the last few years, and at times, this match had a Davis Cup feel to it. Murray though, loves that sort of electric atmosphere, and he played the villain well enough to stay ahead of Chardy, and win his seventeenth match in a row, subsequently extending his head-to-head over Chardy to 4-0.

Next up is a mouthwatering clash with Andy Roddick.
[ Last edit by Mark November 09, 2011, 01:01 PM ] IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 01:17 PM »

Well put S.P. yes very well played Andy. cant wait to see Andy vs Andy !! go murray  yay
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 01:20 PM »

Love the headline! Like the report too! Thanks Sir Panda!
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 01:22 PM »

Love the headline! Like the report too! Thanks Sir Panda!

Call me Andrew, fair maiden.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:23 PM »

39 wins out of the last 42 for Murray.

Pretty damn impressive.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 01:24 PM »

No.......I like Sir Panda! Makes you sound like a knight in shining armour! w00t Thanks all the same! Or should that've been 'fur'!! Hmmmm...... Think
[ Last edit by Caz November 09, 2011, 02:29 PM ] IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 01:43 PM »

Thanks Andrew,missed tha match but your write up says it all.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 01:45 PM »

Nice report, Sir P. I like the title too & "he played the villain". 
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 02:23 PM »

Fecund! lmao

Seriously - good report, nice warmup ahead of a potentially tricky encounter with the All-American Douchebag tomorrow. A potential QF with Berdych looks interesting.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 02:46 PM »

Good report Andrew. Thanks, sorry I couldn't see it.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 03:12 PM »

Pete Bodo:

At the start of the second set, Murray went into a mode that drives his fans and probably his support team nuts. He became passive, allowing the action to come to him as if playing defense alone could win him the match. I don't know if this sit-back-and-wait attitude represents a desire to relax, the equivalent of the bag boy at the supermarket taking his official 15-minute break from the job each morning, or the manifestation of some bizarre, unconscious desire to generate a little chaos and drama, a la vintage John McEnroe. Whatever the case, it can create some anxious moments for Murray watchers.

http://blogs.tennis.com/racquet_reaction/2011/11/paris.html
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 03:14 PM »

cmon yeah     Well done Andy, good warm up! Let's Go!!!  yay
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 03:17 PM »

Pete Bodo:

At the start of the second set, Murray went into a mode that drives his fans and probably his support team nuts. He became passive, allowing the action to come to him as if playing defense alone could win him the match. I don't know if this sit-back-and-wait attitude represents a desire to relax, the equivalent of the bag boy at the supermarket taking his official 15-minute break from the job each morning, or the manifestation of some bizarre, unconscious desire to generate a little chaos and drama, a la vintage John McEnroe. Whatever the case, it can create some anxious moments for Murray watchers.

I think Murray is always looking to take it as easy as possible in these early rounds. If, to him, that means sitting back and allowing the opponent to lose the match, then so be it. Nothing to concern me just yet, as I know he usually steps it up later on.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 03:22 PM »

Nah Pete Bodo, he just felt sorry for the very lovely Jeremy, is all...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray keeps marching on « Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 05:45 PM »

Pete Bodo:

Yes, I agree with Bodo - typical early 2nd set dip against a player much lower-ranked than himself which had me once again yelling at the screen.  However, because it has happened so often, I've been wondering for a while now if this isn't so much for dramatic effect but more a form of mind games on Andy's part, i.e. lull your weaker opponent into a false sense of security and then go for the jugular.  The fact that he knows he won't get away with it against the top players only adds to the frustration, but if his intention is indeed to create a passive hiaitus to throw opponents like Chardy, then well and good - it's his career and his decision - although I'd prefer to see him go all out for it and win these matches as quickly and as cleanly as possible.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »