Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray looks ahead to the Olympics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray looks ahead to the Olympics

(Read 4899 times)
Mark
Murraymaniac

Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « on: July 21, 2012, 10:09 PM »

Andy Murray has put the disappointment over his Wimbledon defeat behind him to focus on winning an Olympic gold medal.

The Scot has not played since Wimbledon and will return to action for the first time during the Olympic tournament, which starts on Saturday 28 July.

The night of the final wasn't easy. I did not sleep too much, it was tough.

I had a few days off where I went go karting with my friends and went to see comedy shows.

Getting back on the court has helped - I needed to make sure I got over the disappointment quickly.

I'm feeling positive ahead of the Olympic competition - I really want to do well here.

Last Olympics I played in Cincinatti a week before the Games started and arrived three days before. It was not ideal preparation and I did not understand how much the Olympics meant to me.

After I lost, it hit me hard. This time I will have been training for two and a half weeks.
[ Last edit by Mark July 21, 2012, 10:39 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24 PM »

It's good to see Andy looking forward to the Olympics and not dwelling on his defeat in the Wimbledon final.  Although I'd hoped he'd take a real holiday, it sounds like he knows what to do to get over these disappointments and it may well be that go-karting with friends and attending comedy shows [especially when accompanied by a standing ovation] have been better for him than brooding on a beach somewhere.
Anyway I think Andy deserves to win a medal (or two as would be so great if he could also win one with Jamie) and I hope the crowd will really get behind him once more  cmon yeah yay
Btw Mark you better watch out or the branding police will be on to you for using the the olympic logo  w00t
[ Last edit by Ruthie July 21, 2012, 10:28 PM ] IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 10:41 PM »

Btw Mark you better watch out or the branding police will be on to you for using the the olympic logo  w00t
I'll take it as a compliment if they do.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 10:58 PM »

Exclusive: The Tennis Space Olympic Quiz with Andy Murray:

http://www.thetennisspace.com/off-court/murray-exclusive-i-would-like-to-try-110m-hurdles/

Apart from tennis, the event I hope to watch during The Games: Boxing.

The Olympian I would most like to meet during The Games: Usain Bolt.

What the Olympics means to me: It’s just so completely different to anything else that we do. Mixing with all the athletes will make it very special.

If I wasn’t a tennis player, I would like to have competed in this Olympic sport: 110m hurdles.

But definitely not this one: Swimming.

My Olympic hero from past Games: Michael Johnson.

The question that tennis players are most likely to be asked by other athletes: I’ll probably be asked about my training.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 02:44 AM »

Exciting stuff!  Best of luck Andy! (in case you look in here). Hope you have a wonderful time!
IP Logged
fuzzyballs
Challenger Level

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 04:40 PM »

Hopefully he's put in as cowardly a performance as he did at Wimbledon. Federer must have been delighted at how desperate Murray was to hand Federer *yet another* easy Wimbledon final victory.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 04:55 PM »

I didn't expect you to make it that easy after you were given a final warning of no tolerance. Enjoy your permanent ban, it's been a long time coming.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 07:41 PM »

I didn't expect you to make it that easy after you were given a final warning of no tolerance. Enjoy your permanent ban, it's been a long time coming.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition Mark  yay
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 09:02 PM »

* bye.gif (998.46 KB, 500x188 - viewed 550 times.)
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 09:47 PM »

yes
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 01:27 AM »

Indifferent -- to ******.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:23 AM »

In the last olympics Murray lost on his first outing and I did'nt follow any more tennis. Hopefully he will do better this time Can anyone tell me what he will be attempting in this Games?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 12:06 PM »

Not sure what you mean bb.  His goal is a  medal, ideally gold, (in both singles and dubs).  Last time he was jet lagged as he didn't allow enough time for preparation and he also admits he spent too much time with other athletes rather than training for his own matches.  He sounds much more motivated this time.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 01:21 PM »

Hi All,

I think last time was a learning experience for Andy, one he has grown from. It must be easy for any athlete in any of the various sports to get caught up in the atmosphere of their first Olympics and take their eye off the ball, no pun intended, and it seems to me that that is what happened in 2008 to Andy.

This time around Andy seems to be raring to go. He's talked a lot about the Olympics this year, it is clearly something he has been looking forward to. Given how he played at Wimbledon this year he has to have real belief that he can do very, very well. I certainly believe he will.

I suppose some will worry that Andy might have some reaction to losing the Wimbledon final, and of course we won't know until he has got through his first match whether that is an issue, but my feeling is that he will be all right. I look at it in terms of Andy played well throughout the Championships and got through a tough draw. He took complete advantage of anything he arguably gained when Nadal went out and played brilliantly to get in to the final, where he fought with everything he had, putting in his best ever performance in a major final. Now sure, he didn't come out of it in the way most of us would have wanted, but he put up a heck of a fight. I just feel that there are more positives there than negatives, and you can build on positives.

My one great hope is that the media leave Andy alone to play at the Olympics. I hope he doesn't find himself being practically stalked by Gary Richardson et al, like he was at the Championships. I'm sure he'll end up doing some interviews (do the rules apply about them having to give interviews at the Olympics in the same way they do on tour? I hope not), but it would be good if during practice etc, they would just leave him be.

I'm really looking forward to the Olympic tennis, especially Andy's matches, and I can't wait to see him in action in the doubles with Jamie too.
[ Last edit by teejay1 July 23, 2012, 01:34 PM ] IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 02:23 PM »

To Ruthie, Thankyou for answering. Is this Olympics thing like a Slam ie best of 5 set matches or is it like a masters,best of 3 sets. How long does it last ie a week or a fortnight?  Sorry to be so badly informed and I would appreciate being helped in this matter.
  Thankyou again
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »