Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray looks ahead to the Olympics 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray looks ahead to the Olympics

(Read 4521 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 02:29 PM »

Bennie.. you'll get a lot of info in "Andy at Olympics 2012" thread.
Geo posted this earlier, gives great info (thanks Geo!) :

To answer your questions Fiverings.

The draw is 64, so 6 matches, no byes in the first round so it is the same kind of set up as Indian Wells and Miami where there is a day off in between the first and second round matches and the 8 last 16 matches take place on the same day.

It's best of three sets apart from the final which is best of 5.

There is a maximum of 4 players from each country so not all of the Spanish and French players that would normally be in a Masters 1000 tournament will be there.  Lopez and Granollers aren't playing and neither are Chardy and Benneteau because there are 4 players from those countries with a better ranking, Nadal, Ferrer, Tsonga, Simon etc.

The mens singles matches are on the following days.

The first round will be on Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th
Second round on Monday and Tuesday
Last 16 on Wednesday
Quarters on Thursday
Semis on Saturday
Final/ Bronze Medal Match on Sunday

The gold medalist will get 750 points, Silver 450, Bronze 340 and 4th place 270.  135 QF, 70 last 16,
35 second round and 5 for the first round.  The draw will take place on the Thursday.

Just like Wimbledon over the past 2 weeks play will begin at 11:30.

[/quote
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 03:33 PM »

To Ruthie, Thankyou for answering. Is this Olympics thing like a Slam ie best of 5 set matches or is it like a masters,best of 3 sets. How long does it last ie a week or a fortnight?  Sorry to be so badly informed and I would appreciate being helped in this matter.
  Thankyou again
bb it's best of 3 apart from gold medal final which is best of 5.  And it lasts from this coming saturday till sunday 5th.  I know it can be difficult to find out the information in all the huge amount of material about the olympics.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 04:30 PM »

thanks to all concerned. Now I shall understand what is happening. I.ve learnt a lot about Tennis by following this site
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 07:46 PM »

Nice to see Andy Murray carrying the olympic torch on the news today.Must say he looked very happy,and relaxed,which was nice to see.Im looking forward to watching the tennis,and would not be suprised to see Andy walking away with a medal,or two.Heres hoping for GOLD.GOOD LUCK ANDY AND GOD BLESS AS ALWAYS.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 03:28 AM »

My one great hope is that the media leave Andy alone to play at the Olympics. I hope he doesn't find himself being practically stalked by Gary Richardson et al, like he was at the Championships. I'm sure he'll end up doing some interviews (do the rules apply about them having to give interviews at the Olympics in the same way they do on tour? I hope not), but it would be good if during practice etc, they would just leave him be.
I think the media will have plenty to occupy them without bothering about Andy as it's very unlikely tennis is going to be anywhere near the top of their priority list.

[ Last edit by Aileen July 24, 2012, 04:25 AM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 02:08 PM »

I think the media will have plenty to occupy them without bothering about Andy as it's very unlikely tennis is going to be anywhere near the top of their priority list.

Hi Aileen and all,

Well that's true enough. The attention will be on the team as well I suppose, not individuals so much.

It just drives me a bit crazy during Wimbledon that the man has a microphone shoved at him almost everywhere he goes. I know people are interested, and I know there are press conferences and such that they are required to do, but sometimes it all seems a bit excessive. It just makes me wonder sometimes how much easier it would be for Andy if they would just leave him alone a bit and let him play.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 02:21 PM »

It is so nice to see Andy carrying the Olympic Torch...makes me feel proud of him...
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 04:55 PM »

Hi Aileen and all,

Well that's true enough. The attention will be on the team as well I suppose, not individuals so much.

It just drives me a bit crazy during Wimbledon that the man has a microphone shoved at him almost everywhere he goes. I know people are interested, and I know there are press conferences and such that they are required to do, but sometimes it all seems a bit excessive. It just makes me wonder sometimes how much easier it would be for Andy if they would just leave him alone a bit and let him play.
Andy also has the media/paparazzi camped permanently outside his home during Wimbledon.  If he was a pop star I could understand it, but these people obviously don't understand that a top tennis player needs space, not pressure.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 06:21 PM »

Andy also has the media/paparazzi camped permanently outside his home during Wimbledon.  If he was a pop star I could understand it, but these people obviously don't understand that a top tennis player needs space, not pressure.

Hi Aileen and all,

I feel a bit stupid, I honestly didn't realise they camped outside his home as well. That's outrageous. When will they ever learn to give him space?

I could understand it to a point if Andy courted publicity, but he doesn't. He seems to like a quiet life off court, and I get that and respect it. The tour has pressures of its own without all the media hoopla he could get in to. Looking back now, a lot of the media 'support' during Wimbledon really was pressure under another name, and it is really time it stopped, if they are serious about wanting him to majors.

What annoys me is that the media (not to mention people who only watch Wimbledon) dump a whole load of pressure on to Andy during Wimbledon fortnight, and then for the rest of the year any time he does well he is virtually overlooked.

The other thing I meant to say was that the thing that drove me to distraction before the final was people within tennis going on about what it would mean for British tennis if Andy won Wimbledon. Are these people for real? I mean, don't get me wrong, if seeing Andy playing and doing so well attracts kids into the game that has to be good, but I do get annoyed at how Andy is constantly expected to be some kind of figure-head for the game in Britain. Doesn't he have enough to do in trying to win majors?

IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 08:46 PM »

I heard that his Gran and Grandad move out of their home in Dunblane during Wimbledon due to the media, it is really bad if this is the case.
IP Logged
Geo
Futures Level

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 09:33 PM »

Coverage of the tournament gets underway on the BBC Olympics 4 channel at 12 o'clock for Centre Court and BBC Olympics 5 channel for Court 1.  Channel 20 for the outside courts at 11:30 according to my 7 day TV guide.  This is for Saturday.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 09:54 PM »

Coverage of the tournament gets underway on the BBC Olympics 4 channel at 12 o'clock for Centre Court and BBC Olympics 5 channel for Court 1.  Channel 20 for the outside courts at 11:30 according to my 7 day TV guide.  This is for Saturday.

Great - that sounds like really good coverage - sooooo looking forward to it.  C'mon Andy!!!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 02:05 AM »

We have extra sports channels for the olympics but I'm guessing I'll be on a livestream to watch any Andy tennis. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 02:09 AM »

so will I Bev , until the gold medal match  yay
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray looks ahead to the Olympics « Reply #29 on: July 25, 2012, 02:10 AM »

Very Happy  Well I need to catch up on my sleep now! lol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »