Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet

(Read 4874 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #105 on: May 19, 2012, 02:57 PM »

What Andy said..
(scroll to bottom of page to watch it)
http://www.tennistv.com/video

Jesus, you wonder why the public hate him for being charmless, then you hear an interview like that and you can kind of get it.

Fortunately, some of us see beyond the sizzle (or lack of it) to the sausage.
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #106 on: May 19, 2012, 05:00 PM »

LB, this is what I don't understand - Andy is only having a weekend's rest before he starts training again with Lendl.  Now, if 10 days rest at home failed to clear the problem up satisfactorily before Rome, then how can he expect to be fully fit by RG?  There's so much at stake this year that, like you, I honestly feel he should give RG a miss and give whatever it is a longer chance to heal.

Of course the man looks tired, he never takes proper holidays - and by that I mean a complete break of at least two weeks somewhere with not a tennis court or a gym in sight.  All the other players take holidays.  Henman used to go off for two weeks after Wimbledon.  To me he's slowly killing his career with over-work.  I know he says he's the sort of person who can't sit still, and I can relate to that, but if that's the case a gentle walking holiday somewhere would do him a power of good.
Scottish Gaelic? Very Happy  That's obscure enough.

I had thought of Welsh but he has enough stick for being a Scot!

IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #107 on: May 19, 2012, 05:11 PM »

[email protected] yesterday. If Andy came on court clad head to foot in the Scottish flag and, at every opportunity declared himself a Scottish Nationalist who hated the English, I would have no problem at all. I would still love his beautiful game and support him.
You are quite right about the GB media culture too. How they love to blag people up and then shoot them down in flames at the slightest whiff of failure. It's sick.
Andy is playing tennis at a time when two of the truly "Greats" of the game are still active and more than capable of winning slams.
Can Andy's critics on here not understand the depth of his disappointment? He has kept trying his hardest in spite of this. We should be praising him, not burying him.
Do Andy's critics on here actually realise how damn difficult his task is?
 Yes we do but he is not the only one trying to beat them is he.You see Ferrer with his head down doggedly determined to wap everyone and Berdych with a serve and skills to beat anyone and others coming up. Andy hasn't got time to walk in the hills and has to battle on. Fed, Jok and Nadal can afford to decide when to play and when not as they are only adding to their titles not trying to win one!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #108 on: May 19, 2012, 05:17 PM »

Jesus, you wonder why the public hate him for being charmless, then you hear an interview like that and you can kind of get it.
I think that's the worst interview I've ever seen from Andy.  Averting his eyes from the interviewer, constantly rubbing his face.  But I can sympathise and I think it's disgraceful that players are required by the ATP to give these interviews immediately after they come off court, otherwise they face a fine.  Fair enough if they win, but I don't think losers should be expected to go through this and Andy isn't the best in the world at hiding his feelings.
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #109 on: May 19, 2012, 05:28 PM »

I agree Aileen two hours or more running your legs off and sweating pints and then being expected to be nice to the interviewers and analyse your game in front of millions is silly and it should be scrapped. Alternatively he could learn from Nadal who smiles and just says I played my best and it was not good enough today etc. Saves a lot of time but our guys love to torture Andy don't they. If all the talk was scrapped their would be a lot of has beens out of a job!!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #110 on: May 19, 2012, 06:26 PM »

Unfortunately this interviewer wasn't the most tactful around, and that isn't the right way to deal with Andy.   BBC Scotland's Kheredine Issedane was the best I've ever heard, and he gained Andy's trust (not easy that), but there again he was no slouch as a sportsman himself in his younger days, so he knew what Andy was going through when he lost.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #111 on: May 19, 2012, 06:46 PM »

Just catching up.  Going back to what you said about trapped nerve Aileen - it was a genuine question ie I didn't think you were making it up and I did have a vague memory about it.
Tessie - I think I said something similar but not that it was necessarily a conscious decision to lose ie more that deep down there may have been part of him thinking that the last thing his back needed was a long match against the terrior on clay the next day. At the same time the will to win part of Andy won't give up completely. So that might help explain the up and down nature of his performance in the 3rd.
As to the interview, give the guy a break some of you.  As others have said, it can't be much fun having to give an interview straight after losing a long match when your back was so sore towards the end you couldn't even sit down at the changeovers (or so I read).  And if he's anxious about the back injury, close questioning like that is just likely to make him clam up.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #112 on: May 20, 2012, 01:05 AM »

Just catching up.  Going back to what you said about trapped nerve Aileen - it was a genuine question ie I didn't think you were making it up and I did have a vague memory about it.
Tessie - I think I said something similar but not that it was necessarily a conscious decision to lose ie more that deep down there may have been part of him thinking that the last thing his back needed was a long match against the terrior on clay the next day. At the same time the will to win part of Andy won't give up completely. So that might help explain the up and down nature of his performance in the 3rd.
As to the interview, give the guy a break some of you.  As others have said, it can't be much fun having to give an interview straight after losing a long match when your back was so sore towards the end you couldn't even sit down at the changeovers (or so I read).  And if he's anxious about the back injury, close questioning like that is just likely to make him clam up.

On the other hand these guys are EXTREMELY well rewarded for their  efforts, however gruelling,  and if I was a sponsor paying millions every year to a tennis star I would expect him to at least try to engage with the media in a friendly manner. Its only a few minutes work. Also we know Andy can be a really charming  interviewee when he wants to be.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #113 on: May 20, 2012, 04:56 PM »

Andy must be sick and tired by all those commentators asking all those stupid questions. I will admit he looked very down after losing to Gasquet and it came out in the interview. As for his swearing I do not condone it but other players get away with murder because it is not in English. Learn Scottish Gaelic Andy and you can curse till the cows come home. It is a very expressive language. Maybe he could swear at Annabelle Croft who is so so biased I do not know why she is still with sky she is terrible. If Andy's back is still bad he should not play at RG forget it Andy and get better. You are not going to gain anything and if you do play and go out early you are going to get all the usual rubbish in the papers and from those wonderful commentators on sky. After all Mr Smug had a five week break and there were a few whispers as to why he had such a long break but that was all even he needs a rest (After all he is really really old). Go on holiday and enjoy the break.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #114 on: May 20, 2012, 05:03 PM »

I just wish we'd all stop jumping to conclusions because after all none of us knows what the problem is, or was.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #115 on: May 20, 2012, 05:35 PM »

Interesting that Peter Fleming's take on it was that Andy is in a 'horrible place' at the moment - he feels his game is built upon movement and he obviously just can't move freely at the moment.  Barry Cowan - whom I usually have no time for - said that he thought Andy had been suffering since the Dubai final - looking back I think he may have a point.  Poor lad - in the middle of the most important season of his career - what could be worse?  Let's hope that he takes the best advice he can and does whatever is right for him.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #116 on: May 20, 2012, 06:59 PM »

I just wish we'd all stop jumping to conclusions because after all none of us knows what the problem is, or was.
O Aileen thank goodness a voice of reason.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #117 on: May 20, 2012, 07:09 PM »

There is a problem with Andy, and I am so sorry for him he needs rest, probably too late now the Queens, wimbledon and the Olympics.

Also it would help if commentors got off his back leave him alone and let him get on with his own thing. It would help for awhile untill he recovers.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #118 on: May 20, 2012, 07:16 PM »

Interesting that Peter Fleming's take on it was that Andy is in a 'horrible place' at the moment - he feels his game is built upon movement and he obviously just can't move freely at the moment.  Barry Cowan - whom I usually have no time for - said that he thought Andy had been suffering since the Dubai final - looking back I think he may have a point.

Andy had no problems with movement during the Dubai final. Not a single person mentioned a problem with movement during the Dubai final. The thing to know about Andy is when he is really injured then there will be no doubt about it. Ive said it before but if Andy had any  injury problem there is not a hope in hell he would have played the Rome Masters. Not with 4 huge tournaments coming up in the next 4-5 months. This injury thing is people looking for excuses for his poor clay court form so far.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #119 on: May 20, 2012, 07:18 PM »

There is a problem with Andy, and I am so sorry for him he needs rest, probably too late now the Queens, wimbledon and the Olympics.

Yeah the problem is he keeps losing.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »