Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet

(Read 5099 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #135 on: May 23, 2012, 01:41 AM »

Peter Bodo article.  http://blogs.tennis.com/tennisworld/2012/05/around-the-world-may-21.html
Wish I didn't agree with him, but after watching what I call 'that goddamn match' regretfully I do.
His parting remark is so true.
C'mon Andy... c'mon! We are all cheering for you... Come back to us, please! pray clap

"Andy Murray has really struggled ever since he lost the Miami Masters final to Djokovic and left the American shores. He hasn't made a semfinal since then, losing to Tomas Berdych (Monte Carlo), Milos Raonic (Barcelona), and Richard Gasquet (Rome). That wouldn't be enough to earn a thumbs down in and of itself; every pro hits mediocre times now and then. It was the way Murray lost to Gasquet that was so irritating and. .  . amateurish.

We all know that Murray gets into funks, screams at his box, beats on himself. But one of the main reasons that former No. 1 and Hall of Famer Ivan Lendl decided to sign on as Murray's coach was to help the world No. 4 develop a greater degree of self-control. And that wasn't merely because Lendl, a hard case himself, wanted Murray to become a more pleasant citizen of the tennis world. Lendl hoped to convince Murray that he needs to show his opponents a tough, professional, preferably inscrutable face. You might even say he wanted to play the father figure who convinced the gifted Murray to grow up. Could it be that Lendl has been wasting his time?

Given the nature of the game, a player is full control of only a few things, the most obvious of which is his serve. But he also can control himself, and the way that the scowling, potty-mouthed Murray has failed to throttle his sour moods and reactions only adds to the growing narrative that he doesn't deserve to be spoken of as part of a Big Four. Maybe this show ought to be called Three and a Half Men.

It's a shame, because Murray is a really compelling player and a very decent, down-to-earth guy".
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #136 on: May 23, 2012, 01:50 AM »

Andy's not a patch on this guy, and I love him to bits too! tender

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #137 on: May 23, 2012, 02:01 AM »

I absolutely love then genius of Johnny Mac too Bev... I couldn't wait to see what he would do or say next. But I think he was the same off court as he was on...he seemed to be a 'What-you-see-is-what-you-get-pal..-so-deal-with it!' sort of person.  I also remember most of his rages were over "the ball was in!" in the days before hawkeye.
Andy confuses me. confused He reminds me of a road-rage driver at times. Fine until he gets behind the wheel.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #138 on: May 23, 2012, 02:18 AM »

Peter Bodo article.  http://blogs.tennis.com/tennisworld/2012/05/around-the-world-may-21.html
Wish I didn't agree with him, but after watching what I call 'that goddamn match' regretfully I do.
His parting remark is so true.
C'mon Andy... c'mon! We are all cheering for you... Come back to us, please! pray clap
Yes that match, and the ensuing interview, were very unpleasant and regrettable, but - hey! - Andy's on-court behaviour/attitude has improved considerably since he took Lendl on board.  Either that or you and Bodo have been watching different matches from the ones I have.  Against Gasquet Andy was frustrated, tired and apparently in pain, so the old Andy resurfaced.  Long-term bad habits can take a while to eradicate.

The big difference between McEnroe (and Connors) was that their tantrums never seemed to put them off their game.  Andy's, unfortunately, do.
[ Last edit by Aileen May 23, 2012, 02:22 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #139 on: May 23, 2012, 06:42 AM »

Mac turned his anger outwards and used it to fire himself up. Andy turns his anger inwards, doesn't appear to have the same effect.
I saw Mac playing veteran doubles quite recently. Didn't get cross !
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #140 on: May 23, 2012, 08:03 AM »

Yes that match, and the ensuing interview, were very unpleasant and regrettable, but - hey! - Andy's on-court behaviour/attitude has improved considerably since he took Lendl on board.  Either that or you and Bodo have been watching different matches from the ones I have.  Against Gasquet Andy was frustrated, tired and apparently in pain, so the old Andy resurfaced.  Long-term bad habits can take a while to eradicate.

The big difference between McEnroe (and Connors) was that their tantrums never seemed to put them off their game.  Andy's, unfortunately, do.
I agree with you Aileen. Please give Andy some slack. Don't think Nole has exactly covered himself in glory lately, 2 rackets smashed, swearing etc. Thought the interview only showed a young man in pain and fed up with the questions re his back. I wonder how we would be in a similar situation, I think far worse.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #141 on: May 23, 2012, 11:40 AM »

^Michelle.. I and other columnists are referring to the actual entire match.
I mostly agree with you about the interview.
[ Last edit by scotnadian May 23, 2012, 11:46 AM ] IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #142 on: May 23, 2012, 11:56 AM »

I really hope Andy doesn't read all the rubbish that is written about him - everyone seems to have an opinion and most of it negative.  There really does seem to be one rule for him and another for every other player on the tour.  What I wouldn't give for Andy to have a run like Djoko had last year and put all their gasses at a peep - hope springs eternal!!!!
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #143 on: May 23, 2012, 12:28 PM »

I really hope Andy doesn't read all the rubbish that is written about him - everyone seems to have an opinion and most of it negative.  There really does seem to be one rule for him and another for every other player on the tour.  What I wouldn't give for Andy to have a run like Djoko had last year and put all their gasses at a peep - hope springs eternal!!!!
Me too. I will rub their bl...dy noses in it.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #144 on: May 23, 2012, 12:35 PM »

When you see how the Rome final went and how much of a slugfest it was you wonder how Andy is ever going to get a grand slam under his belt. He will have to change his attitude to the game radically. Nadal and Jocko are completely focussed and obsessed with winning and their physical ability is amazing. Nadal for the French open methinks. Unless of course Andy thinks otherwise!!

I have been underwhelmed by Nadal's much vaunted return to form and Novak's form this clay court season.
The Rome final was crap and not a great example of the incredible level of tenacity & determination that Andy has to attain.
If you had said the AO final, I may have agreed with you more given the marathon of ball bashing that took place. Nevertheless Andy's match with Novak was of a higher standard in my view although it took a long time to get there.
Andy will have learn to dig deep and not fear the pain it brings in order to take on Nadal and Novak and also not fear to be uber aggressive, he is slowly getting there.

y.aI think we should all forget about murray winning a Grand Salem this year. he is not fit enough and not mentally prepared. I realised this when i saw the final in Rome,the determination and the will to win from both players was there to see.

I think the media should get off his back and leave him alone and he has to be more determined and agressive. It is getting more difficult each day. i would love Murray to get a Grand Salem. Lendl can help him he was a very agressive player and had such determination
to win and worked so hard just like Andy. It will come but we re too impatient

You make a lot of sense, but I am still hopeful that Andy could get it together by the US Open. As long as he doesn't have to start on the Wednesday, there are courts without potholes and he avoids a few hurricanes there is no reason why he can't make it to the final. And then you never know.
I think a good showing at Wimbledon and any kind of medal at the same place a month later would really spur him on.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme May 23, 2012, 12:44 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #145 on: May 24, 2012, 02:36 AM »

I'm sure that their frustrations got the better of them sometimes but hey, I'm no tennis player and I have no idea how it feels to be out there. Very Happy

Going back to the clip though, I'd like to see some of today's players in those shorts and using that tennis racket. yes Little tongue man
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #146 on: May 24, 2012, 02:44 AM »

Morning, Bev

I'm at my home computer finalising a set of accounts for a client; seeing your post I just wanted to say hello
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #147 on: May 24, 2012, 02:46 AM »

wave  Hi OSS

Just having lunch - a bit late for me today as I was helping someone sort something out for our website Very Happy
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #148 on: May 24, 2012, 02:49 AM »

...I'd like to see some of today's players in those shorts and using that tennis racket. yes Little tongue man
lmao
Hey Bev.. off topic, but wanted to ask you if you'd heard of a chocolate-mint plant before? (I think you like chocolate Think).
I bought a wee seedling a couple of days ago and just planted it.  Going to make some choc-mint Mojitos ... you in??
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #149 on: May 24, 2012, 03:20 AM »

Morning, Bev

I'm at my home computer finalising a set of accounts for a client; seeing your post I just wanted to say hello
Welcome as a temporary member of the Night Brigade.  Now you see why I can't get to my bed at a respectable hour!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »