Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet

(Read 5177 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « on: May 17, 2012, 05:54 PM »

Andy Murray has lost his third round match at the Italian Open to 16th seed Richard Gasquet 7-6(1) 3-6 2-6. The Scot has suffered a dismal clay court season so far and today's performance did little to instill confidence ahead of the French Open.

The first set started well for Murray, who immediately earned three break points on Gasquets opening service game. Unfortunately he failed to convert any of them, setting the trend for the rest of the set. The Scot continued to spurn break points, earning and then losing ten in succession before finally breaking at the eleventh time of asking.

Murray held his lead until serving for the set when, predictably, he threw in a howler of a service game to gift the break back to his opponent. The subsequent tiebreak was surprisingly easy for the Scot, cantering through with the loss of a single point.

With Murray's apparent superiority on serve and Gasquet's famous mental strength (unkindly likened to a fermented dairy product), few pundits would have predicted what was about to transpire in the second and third sets.

The gurning, swearing, irritable, listless Murray made a dramatic re-appearance and his previously solid game imploded. Gasquet found uncommon mental resolve and demonstrated a delightful range of shot.

The nature of this defeat raises further question about Murray's fitness (he has been nursing a back injury, but refused to use this as an excuse in the post mach press conference) and the influence of Lendl.

Murray will next make an appearance at Roland Garros. On evidence so far this year, he'll be doing well to progress to the second week.
[ Last edit by boogers May 17, 2012, 07:39 PM ] IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 05:56 PM »

Andy Murray has lost his third round match at the Italian Open to 16th seed Richard Gasquet 7-6 3-6 2-6.

More to follow.

If you mean losses, that sounds about right!
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 05:59 PM »

If you mean losses, that sounds about right!
confused
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 06:03 PM »

confused

I think he means "more losses" to follow.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 06:04 PM »

Ah!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:09 PM »

oh no spare us boogers' take on this match.   
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:09 PM »

Alas, tough draw for Andy. He should practice for the FO, but most looking forward to seeing him on grass.
IP Logged
reef
Junior

coral reef

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 06:11 PM »

Don't know what to think about Andy so far this season.  I would have bet my house (if I had one) on him beating Gasquet.

Yes he has a sore back but I don't believe that's the problem.  I worry the other players are now seeing him as beatable - much more so than in the past.

Come on Lendl - any answers?
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 06:16 PM »

It wasn't such a bad match at all that I saw.  Andy was not on top of it today that's all.  Gasquet was hot today.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 06:22 PM »

Please not Boogers take on the match nah Hazybear, where are you?
Didn't we all expect this after someone suggested the news from the practise courts wasn't good?
TBH, I'm convinced his back is still troubling him. This would explain why his serving has been even worse than usual.
He was not going to get past Ferrer anyway.
Conditions out there were so awful for both players, can't see how anyone could enjoy the match.
Clay court matches can be interminable....bring on the green  yay
Not disheartened or anything- Pollyanna lives yay
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 06:23 PM »

Yes he has a sore back but I don't believe that's the problem. 

Come on Lendl - any answers?

If your backs sore your serve is the first to go. Ask Fed.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 06:30 PM »

Andy is not being very successful on clay this year and we all had such high hopes. Hope Ivan can pull him around before his confidence goes for a burton completely. There are certainly some exciting matches on just now.                               
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 06:35 PM »

Beginning to wish Grabcopys april fool article hadnt been a joke.

Forcing myself to watch the match b4 I comment because otherwise it will be negative. I am really disappointed and now concerned about RG. I dont think he will get very far there but am concerned he will be disappointed if he doesnt, dont want it to affect his grass play.

IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 07:01 PM »

Yes,I agree what is going on. As I mentioned earlier he was playing this time last year far better. he is going to loose a lot of points in the next few months unless he gets his game in gear. For 4th in the world it is poor. I am a great follower of Andy and I have tickets for the O2 in November but at the moment i cannot see him being there
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 07:12 PM »

oh come on jdonald , thats a bit pessimistic imo

Remember there is a BIG difference between clay court Andy & grass/hardcourt Andy !!!

Are u actually saying you dont think he will be in the top 8 by years end ???  I would hold on to your tickets if I were you !!

I wanna hear what Andy has to say re this match , someone tweeted that he has acknowledged the back issue , and has said it has been since December
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »