Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet

(Read 5071 times)
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 07:15 PM »

I wanna hear what Andy has to say re this match , someone tweeted that he has acknowledged the back issue , and has said it has been since December
Was about to post about that tweet. Also want to know what Andy said afterwards. unsure
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 07:16 PM »

Since december?   That sounds worrying.  But surely no sign of it at AO and other tournos where he did well?  Oh and I want to hear what Andy has to say too, but he isn't always very forthcoming about injuries and doesn't like to hide behind them.  And it's easy to deflect questioning with the other guy was just too good today type answers, so we may not learn that much.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 07:26 PM »

If that is the case why continue sort the back out. Clay is the worst service to play if you have a back problem. I still say he will have problems in the next few months unless he gets this sorted, I have had back problems but i8 do not play tennis at Andy's level.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 07:29 PM »

Just read he has had problems since December certaintly not good news with the months ahead. He must get this sorted. He should have not played the lkast tournaments. Very sorry to hear this, with Queens and Wimbledon looming.l
IP Logged
reef
Junior

coral reef

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 07:30 PM »

It would be interesting to know the exact nature of the problem.  I suspect most sportsmen suffer varying back injuries during their careers - Tim Henman retired mainly due to chronic issues with his back (so I read somewhere).

It's a concern, but no doubt it has been fully diagnosed and treatment is ongoing.  It will be a worry for Andy though especially with all those points to defend.  I suspect he feels the implications for his future goals and prospects even more now he has turned 25.  Rafa is constantly struggling with his body but had already managed to achieve so much before it began to let him down - as for the others, Fed is always the role model for `body management' (though I'm sure he has also been fortunate).... Nole - I'm not sure about.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 07:32 PM »

Bit vague.. but found this so far:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/05/20/Rome-Thursday-Nadal-Advances-Murray-Upset.aspx

World No. 4 Andy Murray failed to reach the quarter-finals for just the second time this season, falling to 16th-seeded Frenchman Richard Gasquet 6-7(1), 6-3, 6-2. Both players created 17 break point chances; Gasquet capitalised six times and Murray twice.

"It was a big match and I was a little disappointed for losing the first set," admitted Gasquet. "One hour, 20 minutes is tiring for me and very tough, but then I started to play well and I broke him in the first game of the second set and I started to feel comfortable with my serve."

Murray had also been tested in his opening match against David Nalbandian on Tuesday, before overcoming the Argentine with a late break in the third set. "Similar to the other night," reflected the British No. 1. "Long match and sore back towards the end, but I was expecting that coming to the tournament. I didn’t take a break from training and playing a lot, but the muscles are more tired and fatigued."

IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray loses to Gasquet at Italian Open « Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 07:36 PM »

Fed is a traditional Tennis player, that is why he has had no injuries. He plays the game correctly not large in frame and short compare to the others. i watch him at Wimbledon last year his foot work is superb and reads the ball so well. infact so early. a great player although i am not a fan of him.
IP Logged
boogers
Veteran

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 07:41 PM »

Crap performance. Have to hope that there is an underlying physical issue.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 07:48 PM »

Well it certainly seems that there is an issue with the back from the snatches of the press conference they showed on Sky.   And if his serve hadn't been so poor (and it would seem v much affected by the back)then I think he'd probably have won, because the rest of the performance was not all 'crap' at all.  But if his serve is letting him down and he can't move with his usual agility, then it undermines his game.  And perhaps towards the end, subconsciously he was thinking it might be better to rest his back than have to take it out again against the terrior.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 07:52 PM »

Just gave up watching the match, hate it when he starts getting all annoyed and angry and yelling at all and everything.  I am disappointed and trying not to be negative but I have this sense of forboding and just hope I am wrong.

Not looking forward to RG from an Andy perspective have tickets for qtr finals of Queens, will i see Andy? I hope so.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 07:57 PM »

Depressing but because of it's truth and accuracy boogers Frown
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 08:05 PM »

Crap performance. Have to hope that there is an underlying physical issue.
Thanks for your honest and imho fair report boogers.  It would have been easy for you to be brutal.
Physical issues can be fixed (altho hoping it's muscular and not something more serious).
Mental issues.. well.. not so easy.
Love my boy, but today even I wasn't a fan.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 08:23 PM »

From the match thread

You know you're watching a bad Murray match when......
I'll start it:
- You start talking about recipes.
- You'd rather talk to fellow posters than watch the match.
- You don't care who wins.. you just want it to be over.

Who's next??....

There are no flames in response to a boogers report lol
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 08:28 PM »

Very, very worrying about back issue and since December too. When he's hurting and not playing well, that's when the negativity starts. As I think "billme" pointed out ages ago, it's a result of him playing badly, not a cause.
I'm staring to think he trains too much and ought to play more doubles or more 500s to get match fit.
Mac hated practising/training and preferred playing doubles to get sharp. Training seems to be wearing Andy out Frown
[ Last edit by blueberryhill May 17, 2012, 08:35 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Lackluster Murray loses to Gasquet « Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 08:34 PM »

From the match thread

There are no flames in response to a boogers report lol

Is OK is why and nothing like the last one.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »