Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray marches into quarters 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray marches into quarters

(Read 282 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Murray marches into quarters « on: February 27, 2014, 01:45 PM »

Andy Murray moved into the quarter finals in Acapulco after defeating the world number 44 Joao Sousa 6-3, 6-4 today.

The second seed had to recover from another slow start, going an immediate break down in the opening game. But a stunning pass down the line helped Murray restore order just three games later, as the Scot started to settle.

Controversy followed in game seven after a point in Murray's favour was reversed, with the umpire bizzarely adjudging the Brit to have distracted his opponent with a call during the point - although the noise appeared to come from the opposite end of the court.

But Murray channelled his evident frustration and mounted an attack on Sousa's next service game, sealing a vital third break of the set before serving it out to take the set 6-3.

The Scot now seemed to be in control and an early break in set two put him in a commanding position. The Portuguese man threatened briefly to come back into it but Murray shut the door, and an ace - one of six for the match - put him 3-1 ahead.

Murray had numerous chances to extend his lead but failed to capitalise, and Sousa was able to remain within touching distance. However in the end it did not matter; Murray relatively untroubled on serve throughout and eventually sealed the victory on his second match point.

The world number seven will take on a familiar face in Gilles Simon in the next round. The two have faced off on 12 occasions previous, with Simon's only victory coming in their first encounter in 2007.

* Murray-Sousa.jpg (49.99 KB. 460x276 - viewed 8434 times.)

[ Last edit by TheMadHatter February 27, 2014, 01:56 PM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray marches into quarters « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:43 PM »

Thanks for a well written report. Good to see Andy playing and moving without pain. Once he trusts his back he will play even more freely and be able to use some of his strokes he loved using before his back problem reared its ugly head.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray marches into quarters « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 07:02 PM »

thanks for the report Luke.  Only caught the last few games as when I woke up I'd assumed it would all be over but then finally got up and checked and there he was.  I think I've recorded the rest to watch later - look forward to that stunning pass.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray marches into quarters « Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 08:51 PM »

Watched my recording this morning.

As soon as I saw who was the ump, I was Oh Nooo.. Stupid umpiring by Ali Nili  (no surprise.. this is the same guy who bought into Fed's monsoon theory after about 3 drops of rain at the Shanghai semi with Andy in 2012, and the consequent roof closing.) Andy sure showed him, tho'  cmon yeah

Some good stuff from Sousa. Unfortunately he was able to push Andy way behind the baseline, but Andy's defensive skills are impeccable, and once he got in his groove there was no stopping him. I never once thought he was going to lose.

I enjoyed watching him feast on Sousa's 2nd serve. Something Andy has to watch out for from other opponents.

Great to see his panther-like movement, and his will to win.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray marches into quarters « Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 09:15 PM »

Once again, the report makes nice reading, is fair and descriptive.
I got to watch the 1st set and am watching the recording of the 2nd now.
Andy just about to serve it out!  yay

Well done Sousa and good luck to him for the future...he's the Lone Ranger of tennis in Portugal, so we need more up and coming players.  clap

Well done Andy. I hav just one request for tonight. Get your eyes tested- your challenges are rubbish at present. He used to be so good in challenges too, what happened?  confused
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray marches into quarters « Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 09:24 PM »

Well done Andy. I hav just one request for tonight. Get your eyes tested- your challenges are rubbish at present. He used to be so good in challenges too, what happened?  confused

Since when??? roflmao
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray marches into quarters « Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:26 PM »

Andy being good at challenges? this is news to me
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray marches into quarters « Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:08 AM »

A very fair report Luke.  The umpire's decision was ridiculous and I thought Andy did well not to lose his focus after disputing it at some length.  Failure to capitalise on BPs was a bit of a concern, but the important thing was that he won in the end.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »