Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon

(Read 4713 times)
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #75 on: March 31, 2013, 10:33 PM »

Personally hate the net call....as long as it goes over.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #76 on: March 31, 2013, 10:33 PM »

I don't get this 'how did he win'.  It's what great players do - they don't necessarily trounce opponents, but they find a way to win, through sheer inner strength and fortitude.  Great win for Murray.
I commented, what can one say about such a match, as we just witnessed and did not ask, 'how did he win?'

Yes, it was a magnificent win indeed!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #77 on: March 31, 2013, 10:35 PM »

My argument for no second serves goes like this: spectators generally prefer to see long rallies than aces or service winners or short points caused by big serves. There would also be more action and less buggering about.

Against that, as Phil says, courts are being slowed down to cater for this and it's killing the players. So maybe now is not the right time to introduce one serve. I think the perfect combination would be faster courts and no second serve.
It just wouldn't work.

1) It would mean the players would end up having just one serve - a powerful one that results in a shitload of faults or a weak one that is a liability, not a weapon. They would have to work on something in-between - relatively safe but still strong... and you'd get the worst of both worlds.

2) Serving would no longer be an advantage, and breaking serve would no longer have any relevance.

3) Way too many faults. They are confidence-sapping and not fun to watch.

There are probably plenty of other obvious points but having two serves is deeply ingrained into tennis and there are plenty of reasons why. It's also quite damn satisfying as a fan to see a player fire down an ace or unreturnable serve, and the short points offer nice variety to a match (when the player's not a serve-whore anyway). Returning is an art, and the balance between good servers and good returners is fine.

I'd like to see them do away with lets though. Whatever happened to that trial run in the Challengers? Way too many points get replayed for a serve that barely grazes the net and clearly has no impact on the serve.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #78 on: March 31, 2013, 10:37 PM »

It's also quite damn satisfying as a fan to see a player fire down an ace or unreturnable serve, and the short points offer nice variety (when the player's not a serve-whore anyway).

The clutch big first serve is also something that helps differentiate the great players from the wannabes. How many times have we seen Murray, Djokovic, Fed or Nadal bang down a howitzer when break point down?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #79 on: March 31, 2013, 10:38 PM »

Who doesn't like to see an Ace from Andy, eh? It is one of attractive guns he has in his arsenal. Taking away the 2nd will take away that too. Not with this one. I love Aces. Besides, match won't be pretty anymore with constant faults.  
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #80 on: March 31, 2013, 10:43 PM »

How long is Murray likely to stay at No 2 for? Will he still have it come the French? I assume Rafa won't be adding many points until Wimbledon. Just had a thought - if Rafa ends up in Djoko's half at the French and Murray is seeded 2nd, could Murray conceivably make the final? Think
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #81 on: March 31, 2013, 10:43 PM »

It just wouldn't work.

1) It would mean the players would end up having just one serve - a powerful one that results in a shitload of faults or a weak one that is a liability, not a weapon. They would have to work on something in-between - relatively safe but still strong... and you'd get the worst of both worlds.

2) Serving would no longer be an advantage, and breaking serve would no longer have any relevance.

3) Way too many faults. They are confidence-sapping and not fun to watch.

There are probably plenty of other obvious points but having two serves is deeply ingrained into tennis and there are plenty of reasons why. It's also quite damn satisfying as a fan to see a player fire down an ace or unreturnable serve, and the short points offer nice variety to a match (when the player's not a serve-whore anyway). Returning is an art, and the balance between good servers and good returners is fine.

I'd like to see them do away with lets though. Whatever happened to that trial run in the Challengers? Way too many points get replayed for a serve that barely grazes the net and clearly has no impact on the serve.

1) The one serve would be a decent, strong serve that results in a rally every time. As a rule, in terms of skill, serves are less impressive than other shots in the game, so one serve would bring better skills into play.

2) This is just a mind-set. At the moment, you can't visualise it. Big serving and the server's advantage are just things that you're used to.

3) There would be very few faults. Players would just use their second serve first. How many times do players miss their 2nd serve? How many double faults are there in a match? Five, six, max?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #82 on: March 31, 2013, 10:45 PM »

How long is Murray likely to stay at No 2 for? Will he still have it come the French? I assume Rafa won't be adding many points until Wimbledon. Just had a thought - if Rafa ends up in Djoko's half at the French and Murray is seeded 2nd, could Murray conceivably make the final? Think

Murray could be in the other half to Federer, Djokovic and Nadal. If Nadal breaks both legs and ruptures his spleen chasing a wide ball in the final, Andy could be champion.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #83 on: March 31, 2013, 10:47 PM »

If Nadal breaks both legs and ruptures his spleen chasing a wide ball in the final, Andy could be champion.
So Andys got a chance then?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #84 on: March 31, 2013, 10:48 PM »

So Andys got a chance then?

Actually, you can see Nadal with two broken legs and a lacerated internal organ still having a go. Perhaps we need to add a severed head.
IP Logged
Joe
Top Seed

Boo hoo hoooooooo :'(

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #85 on: March 31, 2013, 10:51 PM »

Murray could be in the other half to Federer, Djokovic and Nadal. If Nadal breaks both legs and ruptures his spleen chasing a wide ball in the final, Andy could be champion.

Christ, that would be good (the first sentence at least - I don't wish effective death on Rafa!). Though clay is the surface that could see Andy bounced out by a South American nobody in the 4th round.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #86 on: March 31, 2013, 10:51 PM »

Actually, you can see Nadal with two broken legs and a lacerated internal organ still having a go. Perhaps we need to add a severed head.
How about we just give him some of the white stuff.........then we,re sorted.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #87 on: March 31, 2013, 10:51 PM »

The clutch big first serve is also something that helps differentiate the great players from the wannabes. How many times have we seen Murray, Djokovic, Fed or Nadal bang down a howitzer when break point down?

Boogers wins my vote
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #88 on: March 31, 2013, 10:52 PM »

Boogers wins my vote
Hard luck Boogers.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #89 on: March 31, 2013, 10:54 PM »

Hard luck Boogers.
Forgiveness is a virtue, Robbie.

I forgive you.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »