Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon

(Read 4147 times)
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #120 on: April 01, 2013, 11:16 AM »

To Masaka I say that at least the dog was happy but gently point out that from personal painful experience with Andy  the match is not over till its over. I've known him lose a match point and then lose the match. You have to grit your teeth and stick with it
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #121 on: April 01, 2013, 11:16 AM »

Great report Grabcopy, received it last night. Brilliant match, but a murraycoaster. I had to press pause when the score was 6-5 to Ferrrer and leave the room for a few minutes, I was in such a state! Congrats to Andy, World No.2 Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!  clap clap yay cmon yeah
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #122 on: April 01, 2013, 11:27 AM »

To Masaka I say that at least the dog was happy but gently point out that from personal painful experience with Andy  the match is not over till its over. I've known him lose a match point and then lose the match. You have to grit your teeth and stick with it

I know and I really do feel ashamed. Normally I am one of the most positive. I was already preparing my positive spin on the loss ie that with Fed losing 90 points through not playing and Murray equaling his, he had at least made up a bit of ground. I thought both players were playing diabolically badly, but Ferrer a bit less so. I don't really understand the subtlies of the game, but the problem was obviously linked the conditions, rather than player ineptitude. I should know better after the Cilic US Open match, and the ones against Gasquet. I stand corrected. :-)
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #123 on: April 01, 2013, 11:48 AM »

You are forgiven Masaka and I admit freely to spending time with eyes closed when things get tight
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #124 on: April 01, 2013, 12:38 PM »

Lashurst Andy Isles is Andy Murray's physio, and it has been commented that he has not been around in   
 Indian Wells and yesterday was the first time he was in Andy's box.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #125 on: April 01, 2013, 01:30 PM »

Andy's physio is Andy Ireland I think, as in the country, not Isles.

The thing about the winners/UE ratio is valid, but it was an issue for everyone through the tournament. I think there might have been one or two matches, and something tells me Andy played one if them, where the winners exceeded the UE's, so the conditions were obviously tough.

I don't think either one played diabolically yesterday, but neither man excelled either, until Andy did in the tie-break. The point for me though is that he got it done when he wasn't playing his best, which says so much for him. I really think this is another platform he can build on going forward.

I like the way Andy acknowledged that he didn't serve well yesterday. I'd be a lot more worried if he had no idea what he could have done to make life easier. I'm sure the conditions didn't help, heat, humidity and wind, but I wondered if he was more anxious about that rise up the rankings than we might think?

I have to say that the match was great really. It was fabulous entertainment. Andy has had a lot of positive comments for his grit and determination to win from readers of certain papers who usually find something sharp to fall on before they give him any credit.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #126 on: April 01, 2013, 01:33 PM »

Lashurst Andy Isles is Andy Murray's physio, and it has been commented that he has not been around in  
 Indian Wells and yesterday was the first time he was in Andy's box.

According to Jonathan Overend,Andy Ireland wanted to cut down on his overseas travelling,which is why he hasn't been around recently.

He was there yesterday though-although I confess I didn't notice that he was in the box during the match,I only realised afterwards when I saw him in the the "victory lap" video,and then a few pics of Andy's box.Nice to see him back with the team!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #127 on: April 01, 2013, 01:33 PM »

Just watched most of the final set again as saw that Sky were reshowing it.  Could feel myself getting tense even when I knew the outcome.  Seeing it a 2nd time really brought home what Andy achieved in slugging that out.  For the 2nd time now in a few months he has defeated one of the fittest guys on tour at end of a gruelling match.  It really justifies all that fitness training and also shows how strong he is mentally now.  
Oh and I freely admit that I too didn't think he would win and was trying to prepare myself for the disappointment.  
And like tj I was impressed that Andy was able to analyse his game in post-match interview and acknowledge the need to improve the serving.  It's weird how it can fluctuate so much even allowing for those awful conditions.
[ Last edit by Ruthie April 01, 2013, 01:37 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #128 on: April 01, 2013, 02:04 PM »

I don't know, to be honest it looked like Andy was about to drive away a forehand anyway if he didn't challenge.

Yep agree, Andy was up in the court and ready.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #129 on: April 01, 2013, 02:05 PM »

Despite the match being a long roller coaster, I thought it was very entertaining. I just felt very bad for both players as they were clearly struggling a great deal under the brutal conditions. They could have easily put the match in the late afternoon slot knowing the potential of the match. Ferrer has always given Andy hard time in the past and this time he had no reason to hand away the match.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #130 on: April 01, 2013, 03:33 PM »

ah but EJ basketball rules ok and didn't I read somewhere that the American network cut away from the tie break because the basketball had started?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #131 on: April 01, 2013, 03:41 PM »

ah but EJ basketball rules ok and didn't I read somewhere that the American network cut away from the tie break because the basketball had started?
That is correct. Lot of outrage on twitter from US viewers.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #132 on: April 01, 2013, 03:43 PM »

I noticed that most players in this tournie had very low percentages in their serves and more double faults. Probably the conditions.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #133 on: April 01, 2013, 05:03 PM »

I don't know about the US though but we had the match live until the end of presentation. And they showed it again at 7 on another channel. I thought, that would have been a perfect slot for the players at least.

US does have tennis channels so I don't see why or how the basketball game can stand in the way when they can easily opt for that option. But I guess it was all about generating viewers.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #134 on: April 01, 2013, 05:06 PM »

I think it was because it fell on Easter sunday when certain sports have priority. It certainly hasn't been that early in the past I'm sure.  The weird thing was that Andy seemed to think it was going to be a night match when he did his Sky interview after the SF  confused
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »