Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon

(Read 3832 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #135 on: April 01, 2013, 05:11 PM »

I hate US sports (minus tennis). And hockey. Don't care for any of those.

Poor Andy thinking it was going to be a night match. He was probably caught off guard once he found out.

Basketball is an indoor game and it's played as a team. People should realize by now what's more important - players' health or people's obnoxious demands.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #136 on: April 01, 2013, 06:57 PM »

For the first time in his career Andy Murray saved a match point in an ATP World Tour final. It was also the first time Murray came back from a set down in a semi-final and final to win an ATP World Tour title.

• LONGEST FINALS -- Since the tournament has played a best-of-three sets final (1991-96, 2003-current), this was the second-longest in match time (2:45), only behind the Djokovic-Nadal final two years ago (3:22).

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/03/13/Shark-Bites-Miami-Final-Murray.aspx
This bit was music to my ears - "Note: It will be the first time since Nov. 10, 2003 both Federer and Nadal will be ranked outside the Top 2."

It does seem extraordinary though that these two players have dominated the game for so long.

I think it was because it fell on Easter sunday when certain sports have priority. It certainly hasn't been that early in the past I'm sure.  The weird thing was that Andy seemed to think it was going to be a night match when he did his Sky interview after the SF  confused
I wonder when Andy knew that it wasn't going to be an evening match?  If that wasn't known until Saturday, I suppose it's possible that it might have thrown him a bit and therefore why his performance was so poor in the first set?  I know he's notorious for his slow starts but this was an important match against a player he certainly wasn't under-rating and also I'm sure he'd have been keen to get it over with as quickly as possible in those conditions.  Maybe though it was simply because this final was such an important one for him to win that he was more nervous than usual.

Whatever I think it's a disgrace that a Masters final should have been treated so shabbily.  It seems that Britain isn't the only country that sees tennis as a second-class sport.  It would be interesting to know if they would have done the same had an American player been involved.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #137 on: April 01, 2013, 08:38 PM »

Great report Grabcopy, received it last night. Brilliant match, but a murraycoaster. I had to press pause when the score was 6-5 to Ferrrer and leave the room for a few minutes, I was in such a state! Congrats to Andy, World No.2 Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!  clap clap yay cmon yeah
I can just see you doing that Chris!
I was sat on the edge of the sofa and was stuffing a cushion in my mouth at the worst moments. I almost ate the blinking thing!

Glad it's over Very Happy
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #138 on: April 01, 2013, 08:45 PM »

Lashurst Andy Isles is Andy Murray's physio, and it has been commented that he has not been around in   
 Indian Wells and yesterday was the first time he was in Andy's box.
Thanks Michelle. I remember reading about Andy Ireland wanting less travel. After wasnt it him that got married last year? That would account for it.

Thanks for the info. Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #139 on: April 01, 2013, 10:04 PM »

I wonder when Andy knew that it wasn't going to be an evening match?  If that wasn't known until Saturday, I suppose it's possible that it might have thrown him a bit and therefore why his performance was so poor in the first set?  I know he's notorious for his slow starts but this was an important match against a player he certainly wasn't under-rating and also I'm sure he'd have been keen to get it over with as quickly as possible in those conditions.  Maybe though it was simply because this final was such an important one for him to win that he was more nervous than usual.

Aileen I'm sure he found out immediately after the Sky interview.  The Sky people looked right scared as it would have put out their scheduling and were relieved to report almost immediately that it was indeed at 4.30pm BST.  Can't understand how Andy didn't know as clearly it had been decided weeks ago.  Perhaps it's all part of not looking beyond the next match.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #140 on: April 01, 2013, 10:41 PM »

Tomic
Dimitrov
Seppi
Cilic
Gasquet
Ferrer

Not a bad scalp list, a mix of up n coming future stars and renouned tour grinders and potential bananaskins, i think mentally to come through all that mostly playing day matches is commendable,
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #141 on: April 01, 2013, 10:56 PM »

Aileen I'm sure he found out immediately after the Sky interview.  The Sky people looked right scared as it would have put out their scheduling and were relieved to report almost immediately that it was indeed at 4.30pm BST.  Can't understand how Andy didn't know as clearly it had been decided weeks ago.  Perhaps it's all part of not looking beyond the next match.
Maybe Ruthie - but surely Lendl would have known and told him?  Somehow I can't imagine him not looking beyond the next match.

IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #142 on: April 01, 2013, 10:56 PM »

Tomic
Dimitrov
Seppi
Cilic
Gasquet
Ferrer

Not a bad scalp list, a mix of up n coming future stars and renouned tour grinders and potential bananaskins, i think mentally to come through all that mostly playing day matches is commendable,
  Yes, good take, Gnome. Clay season is going to be interesting. Can anyone update me on what points Andy is defending? 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #143 on: April 01, 2013, 11:03 PM »

Just watched most of the final set again as saw that Sky were reshowing it.  Could feel myself getting tense even when I knew the outcome.

I think I must have caught about the same amount of the repeat showing as you Ruthie. I found it almost as nerve-wracking the second time too. I've been tired all day today, far too much excitement yesterday lol.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #144 on: April 01, 2013, 11:12 PM »

Yes, good take, Gnome. Clay season is going to be interesting. Can anyone update me on what points Andy is defending? 
This is the thread to visit, Fiverings - http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/ranking/5775/
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #145 on: April 02, 2013, 12:06 AM »

This is the thread to visit, Fiverings - http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/ranking/5775/
Cheers Aileen, I guess I  knew that, just shot from the hip there.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #146 on: April 02, 2013, 11:12 AM »

Maybe Ruthie - but surely Lendl would have known and told him?  Somehow I can't imagine him not looking beyond the next match.

I know that's why I thought it weird Aileen.  But perhaps it was just post-match confusion and he knew really.
Gnome:  yes it's worth emphasising that particularly to anyone who suggests that it was somehow less of an achievement because he didn't have to play any of  the other big 3 .
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray's sprint finish after Miami marathon « Reply #147 on: April 02, 2013, 08:25 PM »

About comments on my “emotions” -) … was all I could muster at the time….a string of emotions and the Woof!

Good one sid!... the 2.

I enjoyed your improved and finished write up Nigel.   Best lines. “With his fuel light not only on amber but also beginning to flash and beep, the Scot . ..etc, and, of course, “The near miss seemed to galvanise the Scot into action. Now his feet were moving, he was split-stepping with authority and pounding his shots. The Scot took matters into a deciding tiebreak and suddenly sprinted to victory, getting the best of a tricky net cord and then grinding his way to a 7-1 success and a position as the undisputed number two player on the planet”.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »