Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY

(Read 3643 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #60 on: September 03, 2011, 01:48 PM »

If Haase reigns in some of that exuberance in order to get consistency, I rather think he'd lose some of that outrageous shot making ability. He reminds me of Dolgopolov, bursts of incredible tennis followed by equally jaw dropping errors. Must be damn difficult to play against.
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #61 on: September 03, 2011, 01:59 PM »

If Haase reigns in some of that exuberance in order to get consistency, I rather think he'd lose some of that outrageous shot making ability. He reminds me of Dolgopolov, bursts of incredible tennis followed by equally jaw dropping errors. Must be damn difficult to play against.

Exactly BBH, just like Rafa, Our Andy needed five sets to work him out, and in the end the result was the same for them both!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #62 on: September 03, 2011, 02:02 PM »

PT You've got to be mature enough to ride the storm, even when your own game ain't what it should be. In the end I was very impressed with Andy clap
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #63 on: September 03, 2011, 02:04 PM »

Well done Andy. Well this one went from the sublime to the ridiculous,going to bed was a night mare all i saw was andys red shirt zipping across the court. I take my hat off to him and also to hasse for a wonderful match .All the others are so boring by contrast.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #64 on: September 03, 2011, 02:10 PM »

PT You've got to be mature enough to ride the storm, even when your own game ain't what it should be. In the end I was very impressed with Andy clap

He was incredibly composed when Haase came back to 4-4. Some really gutsy shots. Makes me wonder why he chokes in slam finals.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #65 on: September 03, 2011, 02:17 PM »

For those with a stomach for it, Eurosport UK is re-running the match at present.  At least you can watch without heart in mouth.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #66 on: September 03, 2011, 02:25 PM »

He was incredibly composed when Haase came back to 4-4. Some really gutsy shots. Makes me wonder why he chokes in slam finals.

He's talked quite openly about the pressure he feels being a British player in a slam. I really think that's what gets to him. Can't see him being joined by anyone in the near future, can you? Frown
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #67 on: September 03, 2011, 03:11 PM »

No I cant see anyone joining Andy in the pressure, it will just be Andy to carry the weight till he retires.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #68 on: September 03, 2011, 03:49 PM »

What a rollercoaster The highs and the lows. It would'nt be Andy if it was'nt. He puts us through all the emotions and gets us on the edge of our seats and hiding behind cushions. You have to be a dedicated Murray fan and have stong nerves to keep watching. So come on Andy make the next match less drama and come out fighting. We know you are a great player and a joy to watch when you are on song. SO LETS GO ANDY, LETS GO and win. cmon yeah cmon yeah cmon yeah
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #69 on: September 03, 2011, 04:01 PM »

It was worrying however that he got so nervous in the first 2 sets to the point where it inhibited his movement.
As he says himself... nerves are good. They show you're engaged and give you energy, but if you're too nervous well, let's just say if he gets to the final he won't have the luxury of so much time to work through them.
It's whats happened to him I'm the last two finals he blew out after all.
I think he might be better off learning just to deaden himself or steel himself without their assistance...
At least at the start, as they can clearly be overwhelming,
He's quite a sensitive chap our Mr Murray but he's going to have to learn to deal with it, maybe yesterday's comeback is a sign that he's doing just that,
Because last year against Stan the same thing happened and he couldn't dig deep enough.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #70 on: September 03, 2011, 04:35 PM »

Brilliant report Nigel. 
Just watched the highlights on sky - now nice to be able to enjoy some of those shots with the knowledge that Andy won in the end. And such a joy to see his dance of joy when he'd won.
I do wish he'd take Rescue Remedy to help with those nerves.  Strange isn't it how nerves practically lost him the match yet at the very end he showed nerves of steel.  As he said he was in the zone by then and just focusing all his energy on each point.  While I don't think I can cope with much more like that, it was wonderful to see that Andy has regained his fighting spirit, which sometimes seemed to have been lost in some of his losses over last year or so.  And Andy in red in fighting mode is something to behold.
And great news that he has qualified for end of year championships.  I thought he had to get more than 100 points and as he was defending 90 points here had assumed he had to get beyond 3rd round so I must have misunderstood or miscalculated.  Anyway provided he is fit means I'll see him play at least once at 02. Yipee.  Can't wait.  And wouldn't it be wonderful if it were Andy Murray USO champion.  But still a long way to go and sounds like Nole is over his difficulties - and lo he's playing a night match yet again, which suits him because he doesn't like the heat.
Anyway onwards and upwards my streetfighting man.   cmon yeah cmon yeah
IP Logged
psychological tennis
Challenger Level

Koala's are cute and cuddly

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #71 on: September 03, 2011, 05:31 PM »

It was worrying however that he got so nervous in the first 2 sets to the point where it inhibited his movement.
As he says himself... nerves are good. They show you're engaged and give you energy, but if you're too nervous well,

If your too nervous then this mindset saps all you phyisical and mental strength and impacts on your ability to focus on the moment. I believe from a professional view point this is what was happening to Andy during those first two sets. I honestly thought he was going to succumb to them, but he found a way to deal with his nerves getting them under control and to a level where they began to work for him (kept him sharp and focused towards the latter stages of the match - where he incedentally played some of his best tennis), he was still probably nervous, but the difference between the first two sets and the last two was that he had found a way to deal with his nerves. He was controlling them. That in its self will put him in good sted for the remainder of this Championships. He is definately maturing and growing as we all watch.
IP Logged
clementine
Satellite Level

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #72 on: September 03, 2011, 06:09 PM »

Great report, Nigel, and I agree that Haase did appear to come back from the dead in his attempt to thwart Andy in the fifth set.  God knows how a guy who'd had the physio out so many times and appeared to be done could move so effortlessly and play so well that he pegged Andy back to all square from four love down.  Adrenaline is one thing, but that was something else.  Whistle

Andy took himself, and us, down to the wire with this one - even by his rollercoaster standard, this was the Big Dipper.  He got the job done and came through smiling, which is always good to see.  The Orange write-up remarkably reported that, unlike his fans, Andy had actually enjoyed the fifth set, saying it was true US Open tennis with all the drama, noise and crowd involvement that goes with it.  w00t

This was a great result for Andy, we saw Mr Tragic, Mr Magic, and a breathtaking cameo appearance by Mr Harry Houdini.  As soon as I saw the draw it was obvious that this was a dodgy potential banana skin but Andy has successfully navigated his way safely past it.  The tennis gods thus far appear to be playing their all-important part in Andy's quest which is great news and hasn't always been the case.  Andy did great but here's hoping for a slightly less bumpy ride next time - he may enjoy it, but we can't take too much more... or can we?  Whatever it takes, it must be done.   cmonandy
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #73 on: September 03, 2011, 06:25 PM »

Agreed PT,
ANDRENALINE is a very powerful and double edged sword,
If you're not ready to launch with it it turns on you!
Yes a valuable lesson was learned by Andy yesterday, 
A lesson that must be felt before it's truly known
And that is never to give up, even when you think your body is telling you to,
Because it's probably trying to do the exact opposite.
I hope he doesn't have to learn the same lesson again in this tournament as I think you might have to open a cyber clinic here on MW to deal with our wrecked nerves!
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray nearly kicked in the Haase in NY « Reply #74 on: September 03, 2011, 07:15 PM »

my what a nerve racking match, nervous  felt sick watching, well done Andy you did it, on wards and upwards now, yay

I was screaming at him and the comms in turn, thought it was all over at the end of the 2nd so releived when he came back so well. Interesting tweet from him today thanking everyone for their support and saying he will try to reward us with less of a rollercoaster tommorow !
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »