Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray negotiates Andujar test 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray negotiates Andujar test

(Read 432 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Murray negotiates Andujar test « on: February 26, 2014, 06:33 AM »

Andy Murray came from a set down today to beat the world number 34 Pablo Andujar 3-6, 6-2, 6-1 on his Acapulco debut.

The Brit didn’t have it all his own way however, after a nightmare start saw him within a point of being bageled. But Murray remained calm, and once the Wimbledon champion finally got going Andujar had no answer, with the Scot dropping just four of the next 19 games to storm into round two.

* MurrayAcapulco.jpg (56.04 KB. 634x390 - viewed 8484 times.)

Andujar came out all guns blazing and after saving break points in his opening game, he started to dominate. Murray had no answer for the Spaniard’s blistering forehands and aggressive game and a combination of Andujar’s power and Murray’s errors saw the former storm into a 5-0 lead.

The Spaniard was oozing confidence and he earned a set point after an incredible reflex volley managed to loop over Murray’s head and onto the baseline. But this time the Brit survived, and a lucky net cord on game point finally got him on the board to avoid the indignity of a bagel.

And now Murray was beginning to show signs of life. A much stronger game saw the Brit break back before his most comfortable service game of the match – holding to 15 – moved him back within two games of his opponent. But after a minor scare Andujar finally served it out, taking the first set 6-3 on his fifth set point with yet another inch perfect lob volley.

But despite the fightback in set one it seemed Murray had reverted back to his early form in the first game of the second, broken yet again after a routine smash went long – undoing all his hard work having saved an earlier break point with an outrageous backhand winner down the line.

Murray’s response was instant, opening up break points with a stunning return winner before Andujar hit a lob long to hand the advantage straight back. The world number seven followed it up with a love hold – his first of the match – to take the lead in a set for the first time. And the Brit was now starting to find his rhythm, breaking in the next game courtesy of a searing forehand winner.

It was now the Wimbledon champion dominating the rallies, and Murray broke again before serving it out to love to complete the breadstick.

Andujar put an end to the six game winning run with a hold to start set three, as he desperately looked to re-impose himself upon the match. But Murray wasn’t giving him the chance, and the Brit continued to dictate from the baseline.

The breakthrough came in game five after Andujar eventually faltered, having already saved two break points in the game. Murray had to negotiate a big scare in his next game however, quickly falling 0-40 down as the Spaniard looked to haul himself back into the match. But the Scot reeled off five points in succession to fend off the danger and then broke again in identical fashion to the fifth game, sealing the double break with a rasping backhand winner.

And Murray sealed the victory with another thundering forehand before letting out a roar of relief.

The Brit will now take on Joao Sousa in round two, whom he defeated in straight sets in their only previous meeting.

[ Last edit by TheMadHatter February 26, 2014, 06:37 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 06:36 AM »

Wow! Speedy Gonzales clap
Thanx. Missed match, good to read the write up.
Thank goodness I missed the first set Rolling Eyes
Onwards and upwards Andy yay 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 06:50 AM »

Thanks for a great write up.  Somehow I don't think I'll be watching that first set when I watch my recording.  Very good to read that Andy stayed calm in the face of adversity; don't think I'd have done had I been watching.  Just hope Andy can carry on where he left off.  cmon yeah
IP Logged
eeyorebob
Futures Level

"I am a champion, and you're gonna hear me roar"

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 07:03 AM »

Thank you for the report - Glad Andy came through that test - sounds like he was playing better after the first set, so hopefully that was just rusty Andy there
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:19 AM »

A very good report. I think it is worth watching the first set to see how Andy was able to fight back from 5-0. This match will be very good for Andy's confidence in his ability and where his game is heading.
I feel it will now be onwards and upwards now. It is great that they are saying this court plays like Miami.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 08:54 AM »

What the hell happened in this match? One of the ugliest scorelines possible. But a win is a win I guess. lol
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:10 AM »

Thanks for the report, Luke. Will watch the recorded version tonight before he meets Sousa in the second round. I particularly want to see how our man was able to recover from such a poor start.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 09:24 AM »

What the hell happened in this match? One of the ugliest scorelines possible. But a win is a win I guess. lol

I always felt that Andy was testing out Andujar in the first set - trying to work out which was the best way to play him.  We've seen him do this so often with opponents whose game he doesn't know very well.  Once he had decided on his game plan there was no stopping him - as the scoreline shows.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 10:45 AM »

Thanks for the detailed report Luke.  Woke up in time to miss the first set Rolling Eyes but it isn't the first occasion Andy's hauled himself back from the brink.

I always felt that Andy was testing out Andujar in the first set - trying to work out which was the best way to play him.  We've seen him do this so often with opponents whose game he doesn't know very well.  Once he had decided on his game plan there was no stopping him - as the scoreline shows.
Thanks for that interesting comment Alis.  Unfortunately I had to watch on a livestream so no recording to look at to see how he worked his way through that set.  From the comments I looked at when I tuned in, it seemed to be all doom and gloom!

Thank you for the report - Glad Andy came through that test - sounds like he was playing better after the first set, so hopefully that was just rusty Andy there
Maybe at that time of night he would have preferred to be going to his bed, not starting a match? lol  The scheduling here seems pretty crazy with matches not beginning until 4pm.  I know it's hot there but players have had to play in similar, if not worse, daytime conditions.

[ Last edit by Aileen February 26, 2014, 10:50 AM ] IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 11:54 AM »

Let's not delude ourselves - Andy was the one being tested. But yes, he was "learning him" throughout, and it paid off.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 12:35 PM »

I've just started watching the match properly. It's early on in the match for me, but Andy did have break points in the opening game and was creating chances, so it wasn't all doom and gloom, and not all bad play. Andujar was playing with a lot of confidence and that showed. It feels like Andy was trying to feel out Andujar's game a bit at first, which I guess is what changed later.

I think someone needs to invent a commentary off switch. Two games in and I want the pair of them to shut up. How can they say Australia doesn't suit Andy? Oh yes, silly me, he's only made the final three times.

The point for me is that Andy weathered the storm from Andujar, who was playing well. Thereafter Andujar won 3 games in the remainder of the match. Having seen most of the third set I think it's clear Andy was growing in confidence compared to early on.

Personally I'd rather see this, a tough start that Andy has to fight through, than something that is too easy to start. Andy had to find his game here, assert his game, to get the win. He did that, so I don't think being pushed for a set is a bad thing for him.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 01:04 PM »

Great report, slow start , but some great tennis in the last two sets, well done mr M. Smile
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 02:39 PM »

Maybe at that time of night he would have preferred to be going to his bed, not starting a match? lol  The scheduling here seems pretty crazy with matches not beginning until 4pm.  I know it's hot there but players have had to play in similar, if not worse, daytime conditions.

Seemingly, the humidity was 95% which makes a huge difference.  Certainly their shorts as well as their shirts were soaking - it looked extremely uncomfortable.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 04:35 PM »

Have just finished watching the match.  It just seemed that Andy was trying to work out Andujar game.  As the first set went on Andy grew in confidence.  Just as most have said on here he had to work him out first.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray negotiates Andujar test « Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 08:30 PM »

Super reporting by Luke and so quick too! Thanks.
Thanks to Andy for finding a way through the nightmare start of this R.1.

Hope the next is a bit easier.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »