Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray one step away from Project 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray one step away from Project 3

(Read 1385 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray one step away from Project 3 « on: October 15, 2011, 05:38 PM »

Andy Murray today clinically dispatched Japan's Kei Nishikori 6-3 6-0 in the semi-final of the Shanghai Masters. In 1992, the man from Japan's former coach, Shuzo Matsuoka, reached 46 on the ATP computer, the highest ranking for a Japanese national. Nishikori has since made 'Project 45' a personal quest.

Nishikori, ranked 47 going into this week, just one off his career high of 46, will achieve his goal when the new rankings are published on Monday. However, on this evidence, it might be as high as the 21 year old flies.

Or perhaps it was just that Murray was at his punishing best, constructing and terminating points with sublime efficiency to move to within one match of his third consecutive title this autumn.

The Scot wrapped up the first set in just over 25 minutes, without conceding a point on his first serve. He followed up by storming to a 3-0 lead in the second set and, apart from a hiccough in the fourth game when Murray saw red at a dubious line call, sailed sublimely into the final inside the hour.

Should he overcome David Ferrer, who put out Feliciano Lopez in the other semi, Murray will climb above Roger Federer to number three in the world – a small project of the Scot's own that seems to have focused his mind beautifully on this hugely productive Asian swing.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy October 15, 2011, 10:53 PM ] IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 05:47 PM »

Well said G.C. Andy was amazing , his serving has been key recently , fantastic to see,makes life so much easier for him. well done Andy one to go , you can do it. you deserve it, yay
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 05:51 PM »

Loved it Nigel!

It's enough, and there's no more to be said.

We badly missed the News Team on the thread today. It's not as much fun when we have no outlet for our "friendly" jibes and agree-to-disagree postings!

Come back soon!   Hopefully tomorrow, for gods sake! w00t
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 06:08 PM »

When he is playing well it is sublime. Well done Andy.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 07:18 PM »

I saw the match it was like a walk in the park. Great.

He is on a roll with a purpose such a change from a few months ago.

Just hope it continues well into the Australian open.

Wonderful  Andy you are playing great.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 08:36 PM »

Watched a recording (at work today) some fantastic tennis from Andy although I dont think he was really pushed especially in the 2nd set.  Think Ferrer is playing better than when Andy beat him last week so it may be a tougher match. But go Andy!! No 3 here we come!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 09:08 PM »

Err - was this another match you didn't watch Nigel? Very Happy

Murray was at his ruthless best, and his serving was about as good as it gets, but I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for Nishikori.  By the second set he was clearly struggling with the effects of his earlier exertions this week as well as what seemed to be a problem with his left ankle.  I've watched him play a couple of times and think he has the potential to achieve his goal of eventually getting into at least the top 20.  He is, after all, only 21 and missed nearly all of 2009 due to injury, which was a huge setback to his career.

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 10:49 PM »

Err - was this another match you didn't watch Nigel? Very Happy

Murray was at his ruthless best, and his serving was about as good as it gets, but I couldn't help but feel a little sorry for Nishikori.  By the second set he was clearly struggling with the effects of his earlier exertions this week as well as what seemed to be a problem with his left ankle.  I've watched him play a couple of times and think he has the potential to achieve his goal of eventually getting into at least the top 20.  He is, after all, only 21 and missed nearly all of 2009 due to injury, which was a huge setback to his career.

Yes, he's good, but he's top 30 at best. Lest we forget, Murray missed large portions of 2007 with a wrist injury. It's what happens in professional sport. Andy is in a different league.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 11:01 PM »

Yes, he's good, but he's top 30 at best. Lest we forget, Murray missed large portions of 2007 with a wrist injury. It's what happens in professional sport. Andy is in a different league.
Murray missed about 4 months, Nishikori missed 9.  Also I wasn't suggesting that Nishikori is likely to emulate Murray, simply that I thought he might make the top 20, maybe even the top 10, depending on the depth of the men's game over the next few years and how far he progresses under BG's guidance.  However, you have your opinion and I have mine. Smile
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 11:54 PM »

Murray missed about 4 months, Nishikori missed 9.  Also I wasn't suggesting that Nishikori is likely to emulate Murray, simply that I thought he might make the top 20, maybe even the top 10, depending on the depth of the men's game over the next few years and how far he progresses under BG's guidance.  However, you have your opinion and I have mine. Smile

Nishikori isn't cut out for today's game. He hasn't got the power, nor does he have a killer shot. If you're not Andy Murray - an outstanding athlete and naturally gifted - you have to be 6 foot 3 with pounding groundstrokes. And Murray just happens to be 6 foot 3, which helps.

The modern game is all about bookends - trying to push each other off the end of the shelf with raw power. Nishikori is five foot ten and has a cute game but it's never going to be enough to crack the top 30.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are about three players inside the top 30 under 6 foot. The Asian physique isn't suited to pro tennis, hence 'Project 45'.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy October 16, 2011, 12:03 AM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 12:16 AM »

[quote author=Aileen link=topic=19418.msg673693#msg673693 date=

I've watched him play a couple of times and think he has the potential to achieve his goal of eventually getting into at least the top 20.  [/quote]

If we're honest, there are a lot of players who fit this description. I've watched a certain Philipp Kohlschreiber for years and kept thinking 'If only he could put it together for more than two weeks at any one time, he'd be top ten'.

Truth is, there are always going to be good reasons why a player isn't top ten or top 20. Kohlschreiber has a strong backhand, which is always going to be inferior to a good forehand. Nishikori has no big shots and no real power, despite doing everything reasonably well.

You watch these players a couple of times in a 250 tournament and they look fantastic, but they're light years behind the top four. Yes, he could make the top 30, but that's not a reflection of how strong a player he is, just an indication of the lack of quality outside the top echelons.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 12:32 AM »

Kohlschreiber is five foot ten, too. And he's 28 today. His time has come and gone. It's a game for big lads under 25.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 12:42 AM »

OK Nigel - you've convinced me.  Your knowledge and experience of the sport is greater than mine, and I accept that.

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 12:44 AM »

OK Nigel - you've convinced me.  I bow to your greater knowledge and experience of the sport. Smile

Incidentally, David Ferrer is a mere 5'9" but that didn't stop him from reaching a ranking high of No.4.  

Yeah, I pointed out that there were three players inside the top 30 under six foot. He's an exception and succeeds because of his incredible workrate.

Don't get me wrong, I watched the final of the men's singles at my club last week and thought it was a hell of a good standard. But, obviously, people like Nishikori are operating on a level that amounts to a different planet to that. It's just that Murray and co are that much higher. There are a lot of levels in this game.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Murray one step away from Project 3 « Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 02:31 AM »

Thanks Nigel, good report, though I don't like to see someone (Kia) being written off either, I know that is what sports writers do!

However, for crying out loud, (one or two MW members, the names Ruthie & Aileen come to mind) give over on this feeling sorry for the opponent stuff.   Andy is out there to win & going for every point is what it takes.  You’d be the first one, Aileen, especially, to start yelling at him and carrying on if he fell behind.  What does it take to please you!  He’s now being aggressive and we are not seeing the Mr Nice Guy, who lets the other guy back in the game (ok for a Sunday afternoon amongst friends but not for professionals).  Be Happy!  You can’t have it both ways.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »