Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours  (Read 4152 times)
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #135 on: January 03, 2013, 01:38 PM »

I am not against people getting honours but the awards are so out of date. There is no British Empire any more. If they want a system of honours it should be for ordinary people who have served the community and for services to sport.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #136 on: January 03, 2013, 01:50 PM »

I am not against people getting honours but the awards are so out of date. There is no British Empire any more. If they want a system of honours it should be for ordinary people who have served the community and for services to sport.

That is just my point. People who 'serve the community' do get them. They can be nominated by 'normal' people.

I take your point about the names of some of the honours, but they came about when there was an empire, so blame history. There was some talk a few years back of doing away with the O.B.E etc, but I think the issue stalled because no one could decide what to replace it with. Personally I don't think it needs replacing. Most people don't have the foggiest idea what O.B.E, let alone any of the others, stands for anyway, or what it signifies.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #137 on: January 03, 2013, 07:32 PM »

If they want a system of honours it should be for ordinary people who have served the community and for services to sport.
Which is exactly what we've got.

I do read about the "ordinary people" getting awards, but only the local ones in my local paper.  The celebrity names make up a tiny proportion of those getting awards in any normal year, and even in Olympic year, with all gold medalists getting at least an MBE, I can't see it being much different.  Not least because most people wouldn't be able to recognise half of the rowers or cyclists who got a single gold as part of a team.  Putting aside the celebs, and even the scientists and other high flyers, there are thousands of "ordinary" people awarded each year.  The biggest stumbling block is that someone has to do all the nomination paperwork, which most folk wouldn't think to do.  If you are famous, or are doing something with a precedent (Olympic medalist) then it seems to be more automatic.

I imagine it was the LTA that nominated Tim for his award, and they may have done for Andy too, if he wasn't already being considered by virtue of the Olympics.

I saw one person on twitter trying to create controversy because Andy had got an OBE and Farah the "lower CBE", and the only difference between them was the colour of their skin.  I'd have loved to have been in the room when someone told her it was the other way around!   A few people thought that any kind of honour meant Andy would become a Sir.  The fact is, most folk don't really understand it.  They know it's an honour and that's about it.

I'm not against updating the system, especially the names, but being old, historic and a bit confusingly out of date is part of the charm and sets it apart from winning a GQ or Cosmopolitan Award (for turning up).
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray awarded OBE in New Year's Honours « Reply #138 on: January 05, 2013, 11:58 PM »

I am not against people getting honours but the awards are so out of date. There is no British Empire any more.
Sorry, LB - we'll have to live with the current system until the Queen dies because she's vowed not to change it despite the demise of the Empire decades ago.  I reckon she's hanging on to what she can whilst she's still alive because so many other archaic royal traditions have either gone or are in danger of going.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »
+ Quick Reply