Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray opens 2013 with 25th title 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray opens 2013 with 25th title

(Read 5012 times)
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Yep. Andy did enough to get the job done. Grigor playing like he did today would give problems to most players on tour so it would be interesting to see how Dimitrov, Raonic and Tomic will develop in the next 2-3 years.
IP Logged
counter_ puncher
Challenger Level

A counter puncher like Andy always fights back.

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 01:08 PM »

Very descriptive report, therefore a pleasure to read. A typical Andy-match in a lot of ways: a slow start, a shaky game after the re-break, a more than convincing tie-break, one sloppy game in the second set, some genius strokes to turn the match around, points which let Dimitrov into the rally again (although Lendl ordered to bury them!).
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 01:23 PM »

Ross Hutchins has Hodgkin's lymphoma. It was he Murray was referring to. He's a nice guy. Seriously hope he pulls through.
IP Logged
AFT
Junior

It's all in the game

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 01:35 PM »

Why does everyone think Andy looks bored in interviews. he never has been Mr Hollywood teeth flasher. he was giving honest intelligent answers to question from the press. He could just say "I played my best and smiled" but it does not sound the same as a Spanish accent. Give the guy a break he is who he is enough. Remember Borg?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 01:36 PM »

Ross Hutchins has Hodgkin's lymphoma. It was he Murray was referring to. He's a nice guy. Seriously hope he pulls through.
omg that is awful news.  I can see why Andy was so upset as they are very close.  One of the things I love about Andy is that he clearly takes male friendships very seriously.
Another great match report Nigel.  Not sure about 'scenic' route though as the scenery can sometimes be rather ugly when Andy wanders off the motorway.
I'm a big fan of Grigor.  Indeed as he's younger than Andy I'm thinking when the awful day comes and Andy hangs up his racquet I might start following him.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 01:38 PM »

I'm a big fan of Grigor.  Indeed as he's younger than Andy I'm thinking when the awful day comes and Andy hangs up his racquet I might start following him.

He's a serious talent. Good to watch.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 01:39 PM »

Congrats to Andy on a fine win today when he was obviously feeling low. There were some worrying aspects to his game with some very weak second serves and a tendency to throw up an easy lob when the court was screaming for a passing shot. He also comfortably reached Grigor's dropshots and then netted them which is a growing trait. However the positives were that he turned it around and showed a real desire to win. The 7-0 tiebreak was a highlight. He made an exemplary acceptance speech, very polite and respectful to his opponent. I love Andy and I'm sure he cares deeply about Ross but would prefer he express his anxiety privately among friends. I'm not really a fan of modern TV sentimentality and would prefer that he hadn't cried. He shows his emotional frailty in front of a world TV audience. Crying is not very manly. Does he want to be a Lendl or a Gazza?  His press conference was depressing when he should be the happiest young man in the world right now. Sorry if that sounds disloyal but does anybody agree?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 01:47 PM »

Such sad news about Ross. Do hope treatment is successful.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 01:47 PM »

Post-match press conference:

Thanks for the video lashurst! Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #24 on: January 06, 2013, 01:52 PM »

Congrats to Andy on a fine win today when he was obviously feeling low. There were some worrying aspects to his game with some very weak second serves and a tendency to throw up an easy lob when the court was screaming for a passing shot. He also comfortably reached Grigor's dropshots and then netted them which is a growing trait. However the positives were that he turned it around and showed a real desire to win. The 7-0 tiebreak was a highlight. He made an exemplary acceptance speech, very polite and respectful to his opponent. I love Andy and I'm sure he cares deeply about Ross but would prefer he express his anxiety privately among friends. I'm not really a fan of modern TV sentimentality and would prefer that he hadn't cried. He shows his emotional frailty in front of a world TV audience. Crying is not very manly. Does he want to be a Lendl or a Gazza?  His press conference was depressing when he should be the happiest young man in the world right now. Sorry if that sounds disloyal but does anybody agree?
No I'm afraid I don't agree MT.  Not because I think you're being disloyal but because I think it's good if 'manly' now encompasses showing emotion.  It's not always easy to compartmentalise public from private life and I think it was a lovely gesture that Andy dedicated the trophy to Ross.  I'm sure Ross, who was watching at home, really appreciated that.  But where I do agree was that it was an exemplary acceptance speech. And he showed some humour in it, with reference to his first round match, as well as real respect for Grigor's game.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #25 on: January 06, 2013, 01:55 PM »

Don't agree with you MT.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #26 on: January 06, 2013, 01:59 PM »

Agree with Ruthie. Andy is who he is and we should accept him as he is. If people want to support some repressed robot, lordy there are enough of them about.
For goodness sakes it's 2013 not 1813 and it's OK for men to show their feelings, it really is.
Andy is unlikely to change any time soon either. Hoo bloody ray!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #27 on: January 06, 2013, 02:13 PM »

I love him for being who & what he is. It shows a bigger man that doesn't try hide his true  emotions. Think that's when most of Britain finally seen the "Real Andy" when he opened up at Wimbledon.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #28 on: January 06, 2013, 02:37 PM »

Congrats to Andy on a fine win today when he was obviously feeling low. There were some worrying aspects to his game with some very weak second serves and a tendency to throw up an easy lob when the court was screaming for a passing shot. He also comfortably reached Grigor's dropshots and then netted them which is a growing trait. However the positives were that he turned it around and showed a real desire to win. The 7-0 tiebreak was a highlight. He made an exemplary acceptance speech, very polite and respectful to his opponent. I love Andy and I'm sure he cares deeply about Ross but would prefer he express his anxiety privately among friends. I'm not really a fan of modern TV sentimentality and would prefer that he hadn't cried. He shows his emotional frailty in front of a world TV audience. Crying is not very manly. Does he want to be a Lendl or a Gazza?  His press conference was depressing when he should be the happiest young man in the world right now. Sorry if that sounds disloyal but does anybody agree?
He didnt cry, rather he chocked up, but he had control of the situation. We dont know how long he's known the news, maybe just the last fews days, who knows? He's trying to deal with it and in his presser he just said, when asked, "Yeah, just a sick friend"

It will make it easier for all around now that Ross has broken the news himself. We (tennis fans) have been wondering where he as he's been very conspicuous by his absence since the New Year.  Not even the UK Sports correspondents knew about it by the looks of no. of Tweets.  Andy should leave it at that, publically as you suggest. Now he's done this I think he will, as it's a burden partly off his chest.

However, I dont get your remark about Andy "wanting to be a Lendl or a Gazza?".
Gazza? Drinker, drug addict, violent criminal, despite him being a great talent he has ruined his career, health and life. Come on!

Andy just wants to be himself and has always said he will be which has already been proved that time and time again. He doesnt want to be like someone else. Have you read his books, you should?

Finally, it wont do Andy or Ross any good if he lets this dwell on his mind so much so that it affects his work. No-one can tell another person how best to cope with such things. A positive attitude is scientifically documented to aid in a good outcome during illness, so Andy needs to be positive too, for himself and his friend.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #29 on: January 06, 2013, 02:53 PM »

He didnt cry, rather he chocked up, but he had control of the situation. We dont know how long he's known the news, maybe just the last fews days, who knows? He's trying to deal with it and in his presser he just said, when asked, "Yeah, just a sick friend"

It will make it easier for all around now that Ross has broken the news himself. We (tennis fans) have been wondering where he as he's been very conspicuous by his absence since the New Year.  Not even the UK Sports correspondents knew about it by the looks of no. of Tweets.  Andy should leave it at that, publically as you suggest. Now he's done this I think he will, as it's a burden partly off his chest.

However, I dont get your remark about Andy "wanting to be a Lendl or a Gazza?".
Gazza? Drinker, drug addict, violent criminal, despite him being a great talent he has ruined his career, health and life. Come on!

Andy just wants to be himself and has always said he will be which has already been proved that time and time again. He doesnt want to be like someone else. Have you read his books, you should?

Finally, it wont do Andy or Ross any good if he lets this dwell on his mind so much so that it affects his work. No-one can tell another person how best to cope with such things. A positive attitude is scientifically documented to aid in a good outcome during illness, so Andy needs to be positive too, for himself and his friend.
Well said . It goes without saying that there is no comparison between Gazza and Murray other than the tears but don't you see that the anti-Murray mob out there will start making a fool of him over it? Gazza was a brilliant footballer actually but is only ever pictured now in tears in the world cup. He was made a fool of for blubbing about being sent off. The nastier elements of the media in this country already don't really understand Andy - don't you think they will start building this up if Andy keeps breaking down? I do.  There have already been press articles in so called serious papers suggesting he was  faking his tears at Wimbledon. All I want is for the media to understand the sporting genius and thoroughly good guy that is Andy Murray. He needs to lighten up. And of course Ruthie etc. there is nothing wrong with a manly tear now and again but don't do it in front of the world's cameras that's all Im saying.  Behind those cameras are many twerps.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »