Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray opens 2013 with 25th title 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray opens 2013 with 25th title

(Read 4962 times)
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 02:57 PM »

Well said . It goes without saying that there is no comparison between Gazza and Murray other than the tears but don't you see that the anti-Murray mob out there will start making a fool of him over it? Gazza was a brilliant footballer actually but is only ever pictured now in tears in the world cup. He was made a fool of for blubbing about being sent off. The nastier elements of the media in this country already don't really understand Andy - don't you think they will start building this up if Andy keeps breaking down? I do.  There have already been press articles in so called serious papers suggesting he was  faking his tears at Wimbledon. All I want is for the media to understand the sporting genius and thoroughly good guy that is Andy Murray. He needs to lighten up. And of course Ruthie etc. there is nothing wrong with a manly tear now and again but don't do it in front of the world's cameras that's all Im saying.  Behind those cameras are many twerps.
I understand now. And there is truth in what you say, about the gutter-press!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 03:05 PM »

I haven't heard Andy's acceptance speech, although I have heard that Andy became emotional in dedicating the win to someone. The BBC more or less confirms the person is Ross.

I've got no problem with Andy showing emotion, especially over something like this. The thing is, we don't know how long ago Ross was diagnosed. We don't know how long Andy has known. I wouldn't mind betting that Andy's decision to dedicate the win to his friend was a spontaneous act, but maybe actually saying it caught him out to a degree, it sounds to me as if he just choked up a bit, and understandably so. At the end of the day he was talking about a close friend who has a form of cancer, that isn't an easy thing to do. Also, I can speak from some experience when I say that watching someone go through something like that, someone you care about, is incredibly tough. Watching them endure treatment is tough too.

One of the things I like most about Andy, apart from his game, is how real he is. Like all the others, Andy is able to shut the world out and play, but he also shows quite clearly how much he values people around him, family, friends, and so on. I think that makes him genuine and likeable. Being able to show his feelings also shows how mature he has become. What Andy won't do, I'm certain of it, is allow himself to get too distracted by what is going on. I'm certain that now he has dedicated the win to Ross he will be keen to move on and get on with things.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 03:12 PM »

Andy is a sensitive, caring person and can't help but show his feelings.    He should NOT change but just be himself.    I've said it before and I'll keep saying it -  if some people can't handle that then the problem is theirs, not Andy's.     As for the British media there's just no pleasing them so why even try.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 03:20 PM »

A win by Andy for his good friend Ross was probably just the tonic the doctor ordered and he duly obliged.  The Oz title would no doubt cheer up both of them, big time.  As far as I'm concerned, Andy can carry on dedicating all his wins to Ross for as long as it takes until he's fully recovered.  Take note - unless you have been closely touched by cancer, you have no idea how you will react !!!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 03:24 PM »

Just finished watching the entire match for the 2nd time. Had I known my Sports Channel would show it this morning, I could have saved myself some sleep.

Great report as always, Nigel. Thanks.

Dimitrov is one of my favourite players, and really took his game to Andy, especially in the first set. I think he will evolve into a force to be reckoned with. His footwork and b/h slice is top notch, and he has youth on his side.

This is a great win for Andy, especially in light of what we now know about his good friend Ross. He did start slow, had trouble with his 2nd serve, was angry at his legs, lost some focus in 2nd set.. but his 1st serve was firing and he dug in to get the win. The 1st set tie-break was magnificient.

Although I see what MT is getting at about the chance of the media making a meal out of Andy showing his emotions, I actually think it shows Joe Public what a genuine and kind person Andy is. I wouldn't want him any other way. As for the usual Murray haters, who cares? They will always be out there, and nothing would ever change their mindset so why bother even giving them oxygen.

On a personal note, I've been in remission from Stage 3B Hodgkins Lymphoma for several years. I hope they've caught Ross early because it's the side-effects of the treatment that's the worst part.

Best wishes to Ross... and Congratulations to Andy. clap

IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 03:45 PM »

Just finished watching the entire match for the 2nd time. Had I known my Sports Channel would show it this morning, I could have saved myself some sleep.

Great report as always, Nigel. Thanks.

Dimitrov is one of my favourite players, and really took his game to Andy, especially in the first set. I think he will evolve into a force to be reckoned with. His footwork and b/h slice is top notch, and he has youth on his side.

This is a great win for Andy, especially in light of what we now know about his good friend Ross. He did start slow, had trouble with his 2nd serve, was angry at his legs, lost some focus in 2nd set.. but his 1st serve was firing and he dug in to get the win. The 1st set tie-break was magnificient.

Although I see what MT is getting at about the chance of the media making a meal out of Andy showing his emotions, I actually think it shows Joe Public what a genuine and kind person Andy is. I wouldn't want him any other way. As for the usual Murray haters, who cares? They will always be out there, and nothing would ever change their mindset so why bother even giving them oxygen.

On a personal note, I've been in remission from Stage 3B Hodgkins Lymphoma for several years. I hope they've caught Ross early because it's the side-effects of the treatment that's the worst part.

Best wishes to Ross... and Congratulations to Andy. clap

It just goes to show that we have no idea what is happening in other peoples lives, as you also prove to us here, Linda.

As you say, I hope he's be diagnosed early. It sounds like you are doing alright now and my good wishes are sent your way.  hug
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 04:01 PM »

Ross sounds positive on twitter.

Ross Hutchins‏@RoscoHutchins

I am doing well, very positive with excellent medical support,friends and family around me. Looking forward to being back on the court soon!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 04:16 PM »

MT I see what you were saying.  But as others have said, partly why many of us care so much about Andy is that he is himself and doesn't try to be what the media think he should be.  I would hate Andy to develop a stiff upper lip to avoid media criticism.  And while there may be some people who were critical of his post-Wimbledon emotion the general perception seems to be they were very much in the minority anyway.  So even from your perspective I'm not sure it necessarily damages Andy, at least not with anyone whose views I would respect.

Today it was clear he was already thinking about Ross as soon as he sat down and put the towel over his head.  I guess he managed to shut it out during the match itself (though I've not watched the whole thing yet).  But again, as someone else has said, he actually kept his emotions well under check and managed to make the dedication without crying.  And so what, if he didn't.

Linda, thanks for telling us about your own experience.  It's always encouraging to hear when someone has been in remission for several years and long may it last.  hug
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 04:43 PM »

MT I see what you were saying.  But as others have said, partly why many of us care so much about Andy is that he is himself and doesn't try to be what the media think he should be.  I would hate Andy to develop a stiff upper lip to avoid media criticism.  And while there may be some people who were critical of his post-Wimbledon emotion the general perception seems to be they were very much in the minority anyway.  So even from your perspective I'm not sure it necessarily damages Andy, at least not with anyone whose views I would respect.

Today it was clear he was already thinking about Ross as soon as he sat down and put the towel over his head.  I guess he managed to shut it out during the match itself (though I've not watched the whole thing yet).  But again, as someone else has said, he actually kept his emotions well under check and managed to make the dedication without crying.  And so what, if he didn't.

Linda, thanks for telling us about your own experience.  It's always encouraging to hear when someone has been in remission for several years and long may it last.  hug
I expect you are right and most of the reaction will be positive. I personally have no doubt his emotion was completely genuine and for whatever reason he decided to express it publicly. There is a possibly an argument to be had  about whether on a tennis court at a prize giving was the appropriate moment or place. He could after all just have called Ross after the game and said privately - that was for you mate. Some of us old timers worry that the modern trend  for overt sentimentality cheapens it. My own father died of pancreatic cancer so I do understand.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 04:43 PM »

Nigel, excellent report.

With regards to Andy viz-a-viz Ross and his emotions, MT, Ruthie et al have already gone through the matter in its entirety. Therefore, I shall not add any more, but to agree that Andy is Andy and long may he stay as such.
IP Logged
madabouttheboy
Junior

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #40 on: January 06, 2013, 05:02 PM »

I was just on the phone to my daughter in Canada, she is a clinical instructor in radio therapy at the Cancer Clinic in London, On, and she says Hodgkinsons has an excellent survival rate. I know what it's like to have a friend and relatives with cancer. Sometimes you can forget about it but sometimes it overpowers you and maybe Andy had one of those moments today. Best wishes and positive thoughts to Ross.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 05:23 PM »

Well, having been a regular visitor to MW for some time now, I have finally got round to 'signing up' as an active member !  I have enjoyed the chat about our Andy's progress, and found the match reports always informative and entertaining. ( better than AM's own website !) I see that the debate goes on regarding Andy's popularity among the public and the press, so here's my take on it.  He made a lot of enemies following his 'anyone but England' comment years ago. Despite being a jokey comment (as has been often confirmed by guys like Tim Henman and Jonathan Overend - both proud Englishmen !), and after some slagging about Scotlands' failures, it has defined Andy in the minds of those who succumb to the tribal nature of football, and yet can't forgive him for doing the same ! They will never change, which is a shame, as I believe the Murray-haters have deprived themselves of the joy of a unique British sporting success story. Who's the loser now ?

As a Scot, I am extremely proud of Andy's achievements, but, as a tennis fan, I was an avid supporter of Tim Henman, and loved his Wimbledon semi-final runs. ( no-one was more gutted than me after the Ivanisevic defeat !) So, until we have a whole lot more top players, I don't see that the Scottish/English thing matters - Andy's for all of us !

As for the 'dour' thing, or the 'no personality' accusation ?  Well, it's utter nonsense ! I have seen Andy being funny, respectful to opponents and to fans, and, of course, in tears. But most of all, I have seen him work his butt off, improving every year, learn from failure, and, build on success. You don't do that without a personality. He's a tennis pro, not a Big Brother hopeful !

Finally, well done To Andy for Brisbane and sincere best wishes to Ross.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #42 on: January 06, 2013, 05:29 PM »

wave good to have you here sidtypical welcome

Good first post by the way
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #43 on: January 06, 2013, 05:29 PM »

ps I promise future posts will be shorter !
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 05:37 PM »

With regard to Mr M and the way he displays his emotions, I wish people would remember just what he has been through in his life and cut him a lot of slack. He seems to be a sensitive soul. He has had to cope with the whole Dunblane experience, having his parents split up on him, leaving home at 15 to train abroad, (and so having a fairly abnormal adolescence), then focussing on a single goal, for the last 10 years or so. Not too mention being cripplingly shy. The only thing that really surprises me is that he is as a normal as he is. All credit to him and his support team. No wonder he "wobbles" from time to time.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »