Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray opens 2013 with 25th title 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray opens 2013 with 25th title

(Read 4876 times)
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #45 on: January 06, 2013, 05:41 PM »

Thanks, and thanks again angiebabez !
I'm looking forward to being on MW for the Australian Open.  It's going to be weird watching Andy in a slam without that underlying thought : ' is he ever going to win one of these ?' :-)
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #46 on: January 06, 2013, 05:46 PM »

Andy is who he is wears his heart on his sleeve and is honest with everything including his emotions both on and off the court. He gives credit where it is due to his opponent and shows no arrogance. An ideal man in my book. 
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #47 on: January 06, 2013, 05:47 PM »

Well, having been a regular visitor to MW for some time now, I have finally got round to 'signing up' as an active member !  I have enjoyed the chat about our Andy's progress, and found the match reports always informative and entertaining. ( better than AM's own website !) I see that the debate goes on regarding Andy's popularity among the public and the press, so here's my take on it.  He made a lot of enemies following his 'anyone but England' comment years ago. Despite being a jokey comment (as has been often confirmed by guys like Tim Henman and Jonathan Overend - both proud Englishmen !), and after some slagging about Scotlands' failures, it has defined Andy in the minds of those who succumb to the tribal nature of football, and yet can't forgive him for doing the same ! They will never change, which is a shame, as I believe the Murray-haters have deprived themselves of the joy of a unique British sporting success story. Who's the loser now ?

As a Scot, I am extremely proud of Andy's achievements, but, as a tennis fan, I was an avid supporter of Tim Henman, and loved his Wimbledon semi-final runs. ( no-one was more gutted than me after the Ivanisevic defeat !) So, until we have a whole lot more top players, I don't see that the Scottish/English thing matters - Andy's for all of us !

As for the 'dour' thing, or the 'no personality' accusation ?  Well, it's utter nonsense ! I have seen Andy being funny, respectful to opponents and to fans, and, of course, in tears. But most of all, I have seen him work his butt off, improving every year, learn from failure, and, build on success. You don't do that without a personality. He's a tennis pro, not a Big Brother hopeful !

Finally, well done To Andy for Brisbane and sincere best wishes to Ross.
Good you joined the club! It's a great place to hang out at AO time. welcome
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #48 on: January 06, 2013, 06:14 PM »

I think the important thing about this win is it is the BIG 25. Remember guys, BIG 25. 25 titles which is approximately a quarter of Federer's titles is astounding for someone who is only in their 8th year on tour. I expect another 25 in the next 8 years from Murray, because right now he's winning 6 or 7 a season and it's fantastic. I'm so pleased. Great confidence booster as well for the Scot.
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #49 on: January 06, 2013, 06:17 PM »

Good you joined the club! It's a great place to hang out at AO time. welcome

Thanks lashurst !  I'm looking forward to being here during AO. Hope it goes the distance.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #50 on: January 06, 2013, 06:19 PM »

I was unable to watch today so thanks for the match report Nigel.

I'm soo pleased for Andy to strart the year well i have high hopes for him this year...world no 1 in waiting i feel, and i cannot be more excited for him this season.

I want to wish Ross all the best and a speedy recovery. it is devastaing news for Andy, He will be effected by this no doubt, but i'm sure he'll be ready to give it his all at AO and Ross will be cheering him on no end to do that.

I love that Andy has a heart and shows emotion he really cares about his family and friends. He always does lots for his fans too---Just an all-round genuine decent guy -- a great role model for all the young men out there, no doubts most of them look up to the Wayne Rooney's and the likes,  mind.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #51 on: January 06, 2013, 06:31 PM »

Great way to begin the season, although very sad about Ross. Wishing him - and Andy - the best!!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #52 on: January 06, 2013, 07:27 PM »

I'm looking forward to being on MW for the Australian Open.  It's going to be weird watching Andy in a slam without that underlying thought : ' is he ever going to win one of these ?' :-)
Welcome sid.  Yes I thought that at New Year - no wishing that this will be the year Andy finally wins the GS he so richly deserves.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #53 on: January 06, 2013, 07:30 PM »

Welcome to the institution of Andy Murray fans. Over here in Section 23 we have the insane ones. Over there in Section 24 we have the cynical ones... Enjoy your stay. It's also my first Slam and Aussie (my favourite slam) here and I'm sure the atmosphere will be truly buzzing.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #54 on: January 06, 2013, 07:43 PM »

I didn't watch the match and have just got round to reading all the ppsts and your very good report, Nigel.  As others have said "Although the top seed went a break down in the second set, it was standard fare for the defending champion, who rarely takes the motorway if a scenic route is available, usually one that involves a degree of off-roading." is a perfect description of our lad.  You get a Gold Star for that one! Smile  This tournament and this win should set Andy up very nicely for the AO.

I'm very sorry indeed to hear about Ross.  Like Andy he's a lovely young man, but I'm encouraged by the posts by scotnadian and madbouottheboy and also Ross's own positive tweet.  Like everyone else I wish him all the best for a good recovery. 

Take note - unless you have been closely touched by cancer, you have no idea how you will react !!!
Andy is a sensitive, caring person and can't help but show his feelings.    He should NOT change but just be himself.    I've said it before and I'll keep saying it -  if some people can't handle that then the problem is theirs, not Andy's.     As for the British media there's just no pleasing them so why even try.
With regard to Mr M and the way he displays his emotions, I wish people would remember just what he has been through in his life and cut him a lot of slack. He seems to be a sensitive soul. He has had to cope with the whole Dunblane experience, having his parents split up on him, leaving home at 15 to train abroad, (and so having a fairly abnormal adolescence), then focussing on a single goal, for the last 10 years or so. Not too mention being cripplingly shy. The only thing that really surprises me is that he is as a normal as he is. All credit to him and his support team. No wonder he "wobbles" from time to time.
Excellent posts which sum up my own feelings enitrely.

Andy's detractors can say what they like, but how many of them have gone through all that Andy has plus now being faced with coping with his best friend's illness?  I'm proud of him, very proud indeed.

And to sidtypical - welcome to the mad, mad world of Murray! wave  Great to have you on board for all the Andy roller-coasters. Smile
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #55 on: January 06, 2013, 07:48 PM »

Welcome sid.  Yes I thought that at New Year - no wishing that this will be the year Andy finally wins the GS he so richly deserves.
Welcome to the institution of Andy Murray fans. Over here in Section 23 we have the insane ones. Over there in Section 24 we have the cynical ones... Enjoy your stay. It's also my first Slam and Aussie (my favourite slam) here and I'm sure the atmosphere will be truly buzzing.
Thanks for the welcome guys !  I've definitely become an old cynic regarding professional sport generally (section 24 then), but I seem to have developed an emotional connection to Andy's career that I  can't explain or rationalize. (section 23 ?)  I think the USO win may have saved me from going over the edge !
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #56 on: January 06, 2013, 07:52 PM »

Thanks lashurst !  I'm looking forward to being here during AO. Hope it goes the distance.

This will be my first "slam" on Murrays world also and I like everyone else can't wait for the rollercoaster to start up again  yay
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #57 on: January 06, 2013, 07:54 PM »

I think the important thing about this win is it is the BIG 25. Remember guys, BIG 25. 25 titles which is approximately a quarter of Federer's titles is astounding for someone who is only in their 8th year on tour. I expect another 25 in the next 8 years from Murray, because right now he's winning 6 or 7 a season and it's fantastic. I'm so pleased. Great confidence booster as well for the Scot.
What a very astute observation MF2012. Interesting!
IP Logged
sidtypical
Challenger Level

grrr...

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #58 on: January 06, 2013, 07:55 PM »

Thanks Aileen ! I'm strapped in and ready to go !
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #59 on: January 06, 2013, 08:01 PM »

Highlights:

[ Last edit by Grabcopy January 06, 2013, 08:48 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »