Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray opens 2013 with 25th title 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray opens 2013 with 25th title

(Read 4863 times)
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #60 on: January 06, 2013, 08:15 PM »

The most pleasing thing about this victory is the fact that Andy was not 100% emotionally but still managed to go up a gear to win the all important point I.e. The last one!!  Okay he has not played brilliantly but e did not need to, he plays to win and conserve his energies for the times that matter I.e. The forthcoming AO.
He is one heck of a player and now appears to have the mental fortitude to accompany his unquestionable talent, roll on 2013.  Sad news about Ross H but with the support of his family and friends I hope he makes a speedy recovery.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #61 on: January 06, 2013, 09:01 PM »

By the way, I'm a great collector of information, trivial and otherwise, which is why I love the internet, so was interested to read this - "Brisbane is named after the river on which it sits, which, in turn, was named after Scotsman Sir Thomas Brisbane, the Governor of New South Wales from 1821 to 1825."  I'd like to think the ghost of Sir T was also urging Andy on!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #62 on: January 06, 2013, 09:25 PM »

By the way, I'm a great collector of information, trivial and otherwise, which is why I love the internet, so was interested to read this - "Brisbane is named after the river on which it sits, which, in turn, was named after Scotsman Sir Thomas Brisbane, the Governor of New South Wales from 1821 to 1825."  I'd like to think the ghost of Sir T was also urging Andy on!

Interesting fact eileen-and i bet he was.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #63 on: January 06, 2013, 09:59 PM »

Highlights:

Wow that was quick, nice one.

Thought it was quite a high quality final myself.

Also on a sidenote, good to see Murray is continuing his impressive record in tie-breaks. 2-0 already for the year.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #64 on: January 06, 2013, 10:36 PM »

How nice of the BBC to report on Andy's match - focussing on the growling, snarling bits Rolling Eyes although they did show his emotional speech at the end as well.  The Scottish news thankfully, but not surprisingly, was more benign.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #65 on: January 06, 2013, 10:41 PM »

Full match guys:

IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #66 on: January 06, 2013, 10:43 PM »

Thank you!  I didn't see it.  Smile x
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #67 on: January 06, 2013, 11:06 PM »

Great report, thanks Nigel. I thought Andy played good enough tennis this week, and did some excellent interviews, but I don't know much about tennis.

Very sad news about Ross, and as everyone else, wish him a speedy recovery. It did seem odd that Colin tweeted on 27th December about arriving in Doha and the weather being lovely , then on 31st it was Happy New Year from Brisbane where he was playing with Jamie. I suspect Ross's diagnosis is very recent.

Here's one of a few articles about it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/9783901/Andy-Murray-dedicates-Brisbane-International-victory-to-his-close-friend-Ross-Hutchins-following-cancer-diagnosis.html
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #68 on: January 06, 2013, 11:45 PM »

Full match guys:

Superb tennis. What a great match-up. Look forward to these two playing each other again.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #69 on: January 06, 2013, 11:57 PM »

Full match guys:

Thanks! Smile  I didn't see it either.

Great report, thanks Nigel. I thought Andy played good enough tennis this week, and did some excellent interviews, but I don't know much about tennis.

Very sad news about Ross, and as everyone else, wish him a speedy recovery. It did seem odd that Colin tweeted on 27th December about arriving in Doha and the weather being lovely , then on 31st it was Happy New Year from Brisbane where he was playing with Jamie. I suspect Ross's diagnosis is very recent.

Here's one of a few articles about it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/9783901/Andy-Murray-dedicates-Brisbane-International-victory-to-his-close-friend-Ross-Hutchins-following-cancer-diagnosis.html
Thank you too, Elena.  I did wonder from Andy's emotional reaction just how recent this news was.  I hope and pray that his cancer has been caught in the early stages.  My thoughts though are certainly with him, his family and his friends.  I know only too well what it's like to have a friend or relative, particularly a close one, suffer from cancer.
[ Last edit by Aileen January 07, 2013, 01:19 AM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #70 on: January 07, 2013, 12:29 AM »

Aileen, my reading of the situation - which could be entirely wrong -is that Colin and Ross were going to play the Doha tournament this last week, but Ross had to pull out for tests/results and Colin went on to Brisbane and now Auckland. I'm sure these guys have so many medical check ups, I'm hopeful it's been caught early and he'll get the best treatment. A very close friend of mine had the same thing 15 years ago.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #71 on: January 07, 2013, 01:16 AM »

Aileen, my reading of the situation - which could be entirely wrong -is that Colin and Ross were going to play the Doha tournament this last week, but Ross had to pull out for tests/results and Colin went on to Brisbane and now Auckland. I'm sure these guys have so many medical check ups, I'm hopeful it's been caught early and he'll get the best treatment. A very close friend of mine had the same thing 15 years ago.
poster_oops  I got Colin and Ross mixed up.  My old brain again!  Have amended my post.

Yes I agree that hopefully this will have been diagnosed as a result of frequent testing.  The first symptom is usually a painless lump, and I'm sure anything like this will be investigated immediately.  Also the presence of even early cancer will show up in blood tests.  I've known two people who have had HL - one, a young woman in her 20s, was diagnosed fairly early and treatment was successful; the other person wasn't so lucky, but he was a man in his 40s who left it far too late before having his symptoms checked out because he initially refused to visit his GP.  Left a wife and two children too. Frown

Full match guys: 

A thoroughly entertaining match.  I look forward to seeing more of Dimitrov in the future, and I like his style because I've always been a devotee of the single-handed BH.  I was very glad though that (a) I knew the score and (b) what was almost certainly behind Andy's frequent lapses in concentration, although the fact that he was able to pull himself back from them quickly is a tribute to his ever-growing mental strength.  I also liked the commentators - Todd Woodbridge in particular.  Both were very easy on the ears, which has to be something of a rarity these days.

[ Last edit by Aileen January 07, 2013, 03:29 AM ] IP Logged
Bailey
Satellite Level

Come on Andy!!!!

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #72 on: January 07, 2013, 02:20 AM »

Go Andy played really against a motivated Grisha.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #73 on: January 07, 2013, 04:06 AM »

From today's Herald, following the match report -

HODGKIN'S LYMPHOMA is a cancer of the lymphatic system which affects more than 1600 people in the UK each year.

The cause of the disease remains unknown, although risk factors which can contribute to its development include poor immunity and previous exposure to the Epstein Barr virus, which causes glandular fever.

It can start in any part of the body, but the most common place for it to start is in the lymph nodes in the neck, followed by underarms, chest and groin.

In the UK, Hodgkin's lymphoma is most common in younger people, aged 20 to 34, and older people, aged 70 to 79, but it can occur at any age. It is slightly more common in men than women.

Treatment is usually very successful, even when it is in several different areas of the body. Most people can now be cured or the lymphoma can be controlled for many years.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #74 on: January 07, 2013, 09:34 AM »

Watched the match last night and thought they played some classy tennis even if uneven at times.  I hope Grigor does well this season and I hope that Andy does even better than last season.  A good start even if the tennis earlier in the week wasn't up to his (and MW's) high standards (though not been able to see any of the earlier matches)
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »