Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray opens 2013 with 25th title 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray opens 2013 with 25th title

(Read 5781 times)
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #75 on: January 07, 2013, 11:37 AM »

It just goes to show that we have no idea what is happening in other peoples lives, as you also prove to us here, Linda.

As you say, I hope he's be diagnosed early. It sounds like you are doing alright now and my good wishes are sent your way.  hug
  My best wishes go to you too Scotnadian. Sky News reported last night that it was Ross Hutchins Andy referred to and what the complaint was and he certainly is one of Andy's best friends. Let's hope his treatment is successful.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #76 on: January 07, 2013, 11:38 AM »

All the best from me scot hug
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #77 on: January 07, 2013, 12:03 PM »

Thanks very much to everyone for their kind wishes. I'm fine, but my treatment has definitely resulted in some long term effects and created some health issues. (I had chemo/radiation/bone marrow transplant.)
I was in the later stages, so the treatment was aggressive.
Hopefully Ross has been caught early and won't have to go through all that.
That's why I don't sweat over small stuff.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #78 on: January 07, 2013, 01:10 PM »

That's why I don't sweat over small stuff.

My good wishes to you as well Linda.

I think you're spot on too. I haven't gone through something like that for myself, thank God, but have seen my young niece go through a really tough time with treatment for breast cancer. She's had chemotherapy and is due to start radiotherapy next month. At the same time her aunt on the other side of her family became ill with a very aggressive breast cancer and died on New Year's Eve, aged just 49.

Watching my niece deal with all that, whilst also pregnant, (they found she was pregnant with her second child when they discovered the cancer) has been a real eye-opener. It puts all the little things in life into perspective. She's been incredibly brave and I'm very proud of her. I'm hopelessly biased, but she's a lovely kid.

I hope you continue to do well Linda, and I hope Ross recovers and gets back to the game soon.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #79 on: January 07, 2013, 06:09 PM »

It seems Andy did only find out about Ross's diagnosis at the weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/9786038/Ross-Hutchins-targets-next-years-Australian-Open-for-return-to-action-following-cancer-diagnosis.html
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #80 on: January 07, 2013, 06:19 PM »

That must have been a hard match for Andy to get through on Sunday if he had only found out, no wonder he broke down straight after Frown
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #81 on: January 07, 2013, 06:42 PM »

From our beloved Bleachers Report: lol

Week 1 in review. Notable entries (w/rankings): Andy Murray (3), Milos Raonic (13), Gilles Simon (16), Kei Nishikori (19), David Goffin (46), Grigor Dimitrov (48), Ryan Harrison (69), Lleyton Hewitt (83).
Results: Andy Murray def. Grigor Dimitrov 7-6(0), 6-4 in the finals and defends his 2012 title.

Good showings: Bulgarian 21-year-old Grigor Dimitrov had a dream tournament as he defeated No. 2 seed and top-10 bound Milos Raonic in impressive fashion by a score of 6-3, 6-4.

Dimitrov, who was playing the ATP's best server of 2012 in Raonic, didn't lose a single point on his first serve all match, and out aced Raonic 10 to four. Dimitrov would go on to beat Austrian Jergen Melzer 6-3, 6-2, and a hot-handed Marcos Baghdatis in a tight three-set match.

While he eventually lost in the finals, his first tour-level final, Dimitrov definitely sent out a warning shot to the Men's side that he too is a rising star with a big game.

Marcos Baghdatis was equally impressive as he easily dismantled both Florian Mayer and Gilles Simon by the scores of 6-4, 6-4 and 6-3, 6-4 respectively, on his way to the semis.

Andy Murray did well in starting the year off on the right foot. You can't do much better than a title in the first tournament of the year. Solid warm-up tournament for Britain's No. 1.

A big congrats to Aussie qualifier and 199th-ranked John Millman, who won his first-ever ATP tour-level match against Japan's Tatsuma Ito, and was the only player to take a set off Andy Murray all week.

Disappointing: Rough week for Milos Raonic. A bye in the first round, and then a significant beatdown from Grigor Dimitrov, who surprisingly broke down the Canadian's big weapon: his serve.

While Kei Nishikori made the semifinals in comfortable fashion, health issues continue to plague Japan's No. 1 as he was forced to retire against eventual champion Murray with a knee problem.

Coming off a career year, No. 8 seed and No. 30 in the world, Slovakian Martin Klizan, was absolutely dismantled by 43rd-ranked Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan in the first round, 6-1, 6-2.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #82 on: January 07, 2013, 09:29 PM »

Viewing Andy's reaction to the sad news of Ross Hutchins diagnosis proves what we on MW have always known that Mr Andy Murray is one heck of a lovely sensitive guy who may be a global superstar but is still the same humble young man that he has always been.

Serious illness is awful to deal with, I just lost my Mum to heart failure on Xmas Eve (hence my reason for not being on here much recently) even though she was elderly and packed a lot into her life it does not make it any easier.  The gut wrenching feeling when you are told the severity of an illness is awful.  RH is young and fit and the one excellent thing about the UK is the high standard of medical care that he will receive.

I will be watching the AO next week as usual but with a tinge of sadness as my Mum was a huge Andy M fan and loved to watch AO and Wimbledon as they were on "not fancy telly". (I.e the BBC and not Sky!)

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #83 on: January 07, 2013, 09:33 PM »

Watching my niece deal with all that, whilst also pregnant, (they found she was pregnant with her second child when they discovered the cancer) has been a real eye-opener. It puts all the little things in life into perspective. She's been incredibly brave and I'm very proud of her. I'm hopelessly biased, but she's a lovely kid.
I agree.  I've never had cancer, but my first brush with a sufferer came when I was seven and a boy in my class at primary school was diagnosed with leukemia, from which he sadly died, although he kept on turning up for classes when he felt well enough right to the very end.  That though was a few decades back and things have moved on considerably since then.  Then when I was Andy's age a friend was found to have an inoperable brain tumour just two years after giving birth to her first child, so I can fully understand how this news has knocked him sideways.  That said, it's a difficult thing for older people to come to terms with as well.  My mother died from bone cancer when she was 80.  She'd always been a lively, mentally alert person who looked younger than her years, but watching her suffering and turning into barely a shadow of her former self was something I hope I never have to go through again.  How I would feel if I was diagnosed, I don't know - but then none of us knows how we might be until we're tested.

Anyway - on a much cheerier note ... I watched the replay of Andy's match (although it didn't show the presentation ceremony) and found it very entertaining, although my nerves were glad they knew the score! 

What impressed me most about Andy was the way he kept pulling himself back so quickly after each lapse in concentration - and some of these lapses had the commentators puzzled because, like everyone else, they didn't know about Ross - so that says a lot for his mental strength these days, although I've no doubt that thinking about Ross, and knowing that he was probably watching on TV, in its own way helped to spur him on.  Dimitrov though has considerable potential and is definitely I player I'll be keeping an eye on now. 

Viewing Andy's reaction to the sad news of Ross Hutchins diagnosis proves what we on MW have always known that Mr Andy Murray is one heck of a lovely sensitive guy who may be a global superstar but is still the same humble young man that he has always been.

Serious illness is awful to deal with, I just lost my Mum to heart failure on Xmas Eve (hence my reason for not being on here much recently) even though she was elderly and packed a lot into her life it does not make it any easier.  The gut wrenching feeling when you are told the severity of an illness is awful.  RH is young and fit and the one excellent thing about the UK is the high standard of medical care that he will receive.

I will be watching the AO next week as usual but with a tinge of sadness as my Mum was a huge Andy M fan and loved to watch AO and Wimbledon as they were on "not fancy telly". (I.e the BBC and not Sky!)
I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your Mum, MM, and I send you my deepest sympathy. hug
[ Last edit by Aileen January 07, 2013, 09:36 PM ] IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #84 on: January 07, 2013, 09:37 PM »

Aileen, thank you will raise a wee glass or two to her whilst hopefully watching Andy raise the AO trophy aloft!!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #85 on: January 07, 2013, 09:53 PM »

MM.. I'm so very sorry for your loss, and am sending you a hug. x

One of the worst things I've ever experienced is survivor guilt. When I was recovering from my BMT, I became very good friends with my roomie next door to my room in our Isolation Ward. His name was Jeff. We'd both been 'promoted' to having our doors open.. no more barrier nursing and no more restricted visitors having to be scrubbed and gowned.
We were excited about this, bored out of our minds, and we became partners in crime by kidding around with the nurses, and just generally just trying to make the best out of a bad situation. We became very good friends very quickly.
One morning, I popped next door for our usual get-together and his bed was stripped.
He'd died through the night.

My husband & I were married the week before I had my BMT because we weren't sure of my survival.

It's all good, I'm still here, and hopefully some of you will see I haven't lost my sense of humour.

Didn't mean to go on about this, sorry, it's just with everyone talking about Ross it's made it all come flooding back.

That's all. Cheers. Smile

IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #86 on: January 07, 2013, 09:57 PM »

Thanks SN we are just all coming to terms with it.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #87 on: January 07, 2013, 10:04 PM »

Thoughts are with you and your family MM .
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #88 on: January 07, 2013, 10:06 PM »

MM.. I'm so very sorry for your loss, and am sending you a hug. x

One of the worst things I've ever experienced is survivor guilt. When I was recovering from my BMT, I became very good friends with my roomie next door to my room in our Isolation Ward. His name was Jeff. We'd both been 'promoted' to having our doors open.. no more barrier nursing and no more restricted visitors having to be scrubbed and gowned.
We were excited about this, bored out of our minds, and we became partners in crime by kidding around with the nurses, and just generally just trying to make the best out of a bad situation. We became very good friends very quickly.
One morning, I popped next door for our usual get-together and his bed was stripped.
He'd died through the night.

My husband & I were married the week before I had my BMT because we weren't sure of my survival.

It's all good, I'm still here, and hopefully some of you will see I haven't lost my sense of humour.

Didn't mean to go on about this, sorry, it's just with everyone talking about Ross it's made it all come flooding back.

That's all. Cheers. Smile
Don't feel sorry, Linda.  What happened with Jeff must have been a terrible shock. hug

Anyway I for one am well aware that your great sense of humour is definitely still there! Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #89 on: January 07, 2013, 10:17 PM »

Thanks SN we are just all coming to terms with it.

Keep on coming on MW.  For quite a different reason this forum has kept me going through some difficult times.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »