Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray opens 2013 with 25th title 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray opens 2013 with 25th title

(Read 5224 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #90 on: January 07, 2013, 11:10 PM »

Viewing Andy's reaction to the sad news of Ross Hutchins diagnosis proves what we on MW have always known that Mr Andy Murray is one heck of a lovely sensitive guy who may be a global superstar but is still the same humble young man that he has always been.

Serious illness is awful to deal with, I just lost my Mum to heart failure on Xmas Eve (hence my reason for not being on here much recently) even though she was elderly and packed a lot into her life it does not make it any easier.  The gut wrenching feeling when you are told the severity of an illness is awful.  RH is young and fit and the one excellent thing about the UK is the high standard of medical care that he will receive.

I will be watching the AO next week as usual but with a tinge of sadness as my Mum was a huge Andy M fan and loved to watch AO and Wimbledon as they were on "not fancy telly". (I.e the BBC and not Sky!)

MM I'd also like to pass on my sincere sympathy to you for your loss. My own parents died from heart attacks within two years of one another, Dad in 2002 and Mum in 2004, so I have some tiny understanding of what you are going through. It's very hard. My parents were elderly too, but I think we all think our parents will go on forever. It's a shock when we realise they won't. If I may be impertinent and offer some advice I would say take each day as it comes. It never gets easier, but you do learn to adjust.

If/when Andy wins the AO I'll join you in that toast lol.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #91 on: January 08, 2013, 12:03 AM »

MM I'd also like to pass on my sincere sympathy to you for your loss. My own parents died from heart attacks within two years of one another, Dad in 2002 and Mum in 2004, so I have some tiny understanding of what you are going through. It's very hard. My parents were elderly too, but I think we all think our parents will go on forever. It's a shock when we realise they won't. If I may be impertinent and offer some advice I would say take each day as it comes. It never gets easier, but you do learn to adjust..
I agree TJ.  We accept that elderly people die, but somehow it doesn't apply to those closest to us.  I reckon we just can't imagine what life would be like without them because they've always been there for us.  However I do think, from my own experience anyway, that the death or potentially life-threatening illness of a young person, especially one near your own age, is the harder one to accept because that is something we think shouldn't, or won't, ever happen.

I can well imagine the 'worst possible scenario' thoughts that must have been racing through Andy's head after he got the unexpected news.  I'm sure though that one of his team, perhaps Lendl himself, or Andy's mother, will talk him calmly through it.  It's very important that he has as full an understanding of the illness as possible, what treatment is involved, and reassurance that Ross will get all the support he needs.  If he asks about the possible prognosis, then, at this stage at least, I'd hope he gets an honest answer.  Andy is a mature young man now, and I believe he will take it all on board and come to terms with it.       
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #92 on: January 08, 2013, 01:09 AM »

Watched the match last night. Awesome match, awesome match-up. Very high quality at times. Dimitrov was very error prone at times but that's his style of play. Andy was up and down as well but he pulled it off when he needed the most. I thoroughly enjoyed the match and was in fact, glad that he was broken immediately, because I was very curious to see how he was going to come back to the match. What can I say, I love Andy's come backs! but of course, I wouldn't want that to happen in a GS match, unless I already know the results and Andy has already won the match. It's a win-win!
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #93 on: January 08, 2013, 10:05 AM »

How nice of the BBC to report on Andy's match - focussing on the growling, snarling bits Rolling Eyes although they did show his emotional speech at the end as well.  The Scottish news thankfully, but not surprisingly, was more benign.
So was Sky Aileen, think the BBC is anti-Andy from the way they report him. Growly bits are all part and parcel of Andy's persona - nothing wrong with that - he'll never be unemotional - neithehr will Novak - he roars too but not so much comment is made of that.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #94 on: January 08, 2013, 10:25 AM »

Don't feel sorry, Linda.  What happened with Jeff must have been a terrible shock. hug

Anyway I for one am well aware that your great sense of humour is definitely still there! Smile
So pleased that you have recovered so well from HL and I know how gruelling cancer treatments can be as my brother has spent six months going through chemo and radiation therapy for throat cancer. Next week's scan will tell whether it has been successful. I was in daily contact to keep his spirits up - via phone calls to Perth, Australia where he lives. When people reveal some personal details about themselves on MW it takes away their anonimity and sometimes these details are very heart-warming and somehow make me feel closer to that person even though they are far away and unseen. Nice to know you better, scot, and I wish you the best of health in 2013 and thereafter. hug
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #95 on: January 08, 2013, 11:41 AM »

I'm very sorry to hear about your mum, Murray Magic. Frown Losing a parent is so hard - unfortunately I know this from experience having lost my dad 4 years ago.

Thanks very much to everyone for their kind wishes. I'm fine, but my treatment has definitely resulted in some long term effects and created some health issues. (I had chemo/radiation/bone marrow transplant.)
I was in the later stages, so the treatment was aggressive.
Hopefully Ross has been caught early and won't have to go through all that.
That's why I don't sweat over small stuff.

I'm really glad you've made a recovery SN, the treatment sounds like it was very hard to go through.

So pleased that you have recovered so well from HL and I know how gruelling cancer treatments can be as my brother has spent six months going through chemo and radiation therapy for throat cancer. Next week's scan will tell whether it has been successful. I was in daily contact to keep his spirits up - via phone calls to Perth, Australia where he lives. When people reveal some personal details about themselves on MW it takes away their anonimity and sometimes these details are very heart-warming and somehow make me feel closer to that person even though they are far away and unseen. Nice to know you better, scot, and I wish you the best of health in 2013 and thereafter. hug

I really hope your brother's scan will bring good news next week janscribe.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #96 on: January 08, 2013, 12:08 PM »

Thanks again to everyone, I won't say anymore on the subject.

My sincere best wishes to all who have been through and are currently going through health issues/loss.

I believe in the cliche: Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Cheers. hug
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #97 on: January 08, 2013, 12:52 PM »

Very sorry to hear about your mother MM. My mother died in december (9 years ago now) unexpectedly and without the chance to say goodbye so I know how awful it can be however old she is. 
And Jan - do hope all ok with your brother.
Something like Ross's illness helps us realise just how much some of our members are going through too.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #98 on: January 08, 2013, 01:16 PM »

Best wishes to MM, Linda (with huge thanks for the cheerfulness and humour you bring to the forum), and all coping with illness or bereavement.

So was Sky Aileen, think the BBC is anti-Andy from the way they report him. Growly bits are all part and parcel of Andy's persona - nothing wrong with that - he'll never be unemotional - neithehr will Novak - he roars too but not so much comment is made of that.

I saw the BBC News at 10 report and it seemed OK – it wasn’t all Andy’s winning shots, but that seems fair to Dimitrov – showed some of his “exciting tennis”. We saw Dimitrov with quite a roar of celebration and we saw Andy dedicating his victory to his sick friend.

I personally get a bit tired of the complaints of the BBC/press/media/English  etc being anti-Andy.  There are some annoying articles or headlines (though “Murray beats Millman in Brisbane” on the BBC site would be considered too kind by some here!)

I looked at the BBC report on the Brisbane final which seemed fine, then looked at the latest of about 260 comments.  Comments are always ridiculous after an Andy article, but these were so bizarre  I decided to look back at the others a bit more closely.

1-18 are pretty much “Well done Andy”. First troll gets up to post at no 19 with predictable “spoilt overpaid sportman” etc.  Nos 19 and 20 are anti post 19. Chief troll Roberto Gomez Ballanos posts at no 21 with the usual “mickey mouse trophy” some Brit/Scot stuff and signs off ABM. Nos 23 – 26 defend Andy v troll comments. Troll no 3 arrives at no 27 who admits Murray has talent but has to bring up the ABE rubbish.

The vast majority of the next 100 posts are defending Andy against the trolls, with a few comments on the match here and there. There are quite a lot of “I’m dismayed at the nasty and negative comments”, “ I can’t understand all the nastiness” type, and some “don’t feed the trolls”.

So the general impression is that there have been lots of negative comments whereas the reality is that there are 7 or 8 by 5 different posters, and they are clearly wind ups by repeat offenders.

Some sanity arrives around post 120 with the news of Ross Hutchins, and at 131 even chief troll posts  “ Just read the news about Ross Hutchins being diagnosed with a form of cancer, terrible news and puts sport into perspective. Wish him all the best. Hope we can at least agree on this”

Normal service resumes a bit later, and I rather gave up once almost every post seemed to include Brit/Eng/Scot stuff, with some idiotic comments on both sides that have little to do with Andy or the article. Also lots of “why do the comments always come back to arguments about nationality”.  At least one poster who joined in later has had all comments removed.

So there’s actually lots of support for Andy, but by rising to the trolls they become the winners.

Took one for the team there - read those comments so you don't have to!
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #99 on: January 08, 2013, 02:14 PM »

Best wishes to MM, Linda (with huge thanks for the cheerfulness and humour you bring to the forum), and all coping with illness or bereavement.

I saw the BBC News at 10 report and it seemed OK – it wasn’t all Andy’s winning shots, but that seems fair to Dimitrov – showed some of his “exciting tennis”. We saw Dimitrov with quite a roar of celebration and we saw Andy dedicating his victory to his sick friend.

I personally get a bit tired of the complaints of the BBC/press/media/English  etc being anti-Andy.  There are some annoying articles or headlines (though “Murray beats Millman in Brisbane” on the BBC site would be considered too kind by some here!)

I looked at the BBC report on the Brisbane final which seemed fine, then looked at the latest of about 260 comments.  Comments are always ridiculous after an Andy article, but these were so bizarre  I decided to look back at the others a bit more closely.

1-18 are pretty much “Well done Andy”. First troll gets up to post at no 19 with predictable “spoilt overpaid sportman” etc.  Nos 19 and 20 are anti post 19. Chief troll Roberto Gomez Ballanos posts at no 21 with the usual “mickey mouse trophy” some Brit/Scot stuff and signs off ABM. Nos 23 – 26 defend Andy v troll comments. Troll no 3 arrives at no 27 who admits Murray has talent but has to bring up the ABE rubbish.

The vast majority of the next 100 posts are defending Andy against the trolls, with a few comments on the match here and there. There are quite a lot of “I’m dismayed at the nasty and negative comments”, “ I can’t understand all the nastiness” type, and some “don’t feed the trolls”.

So the general impression is that there have been lots of negative comments whereas the reality is that there are 7 or 8 by 5 different posters, and they are clearly wind ups by repeat offenders.

Some sanity arrives around post 120 with the news of Ross Hutchins, and at 131 even chief troll posts  “ Just read the news about Ross Hutchins being diagnosed with a form of cancer, terrible news and puts sport into perspective. Wish him all the best. Hope we can at least agree on this”

Normal service resumes a bit later, and I rather gave up once almost every post seemed to include Brit/Eng/Scot stuff, with some idiotic comments on both sides that have little to do with Andy or the article. Also lots of “why do the comments always come back to arguments about nationality”.  At least one poster who joined in later has had all comments removed.

So there’s actually lots of support for Andy, but by rising to the trolls they become the winners.

I'm with Aileen and Jan on this one.   They start the report with the negative stuff and that sets the tone.   They then show a good shot but I think the damage is done by then.    Thanks for the research on the comments.   I can't read too many of these kind of posts.   I know there are a lot of stupid people around who can't think for themselves but if I skip reading tabloids and these kind of comments I can pretend they don't exist and I live in my bubble - just like our boy!!!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #100 on: January 08, 2013, 02:24 PM »

Great report Nigel! Right up to your usual standard, complete with your trademark touch of humour! I love it when he takes the scenic route, just so long as he rejoins the motorway at the correct junction!  Whistle
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #101 on: January 08, 2013, 02:56 PM »

However I do think, from my own experience anyway, that the death or potentially life-threatening illness of a young person, especially one near your own age, is the harder one to accept because that is something we think shouldn't, or won't, ever happen.

I can well imagine the 'worst possible scenario' thoughts that must have been racing through Andy's head after he got the unexpected news.  I'm sure though that one of his team, perhaps Lendl himself, or Andy's mother, will talk him calmly through it.  It's very important that he has as full an understanding of the illness as possible, what treatment is involved, and reassurance that Ross will get all the support he needs.  If he asks about the possible prognosis, then, at this stage at least, I'd hope he gets an honest answer.  Andy is a mature young man now, and I believe he will take it all on board and come to terms with it.       

I agree with everything you say Aileen. I know that when my lovely niece was diagnosed with breast cancer the shock was huge, because she is so young.

On the same sort of point, I read some quotes from Andrew Castle in an article about Ross. I think it was in the Mail, but I read it online. Andrew Castle was saying that when he heard the news about Ross, just a few days ago judging by what he said, it made him feel breathless, it was such a shock. I must admit to having been moved by what he said. I felt similar when I heard about my niece, as if my lungs had fallen out or something. A horrible feeling. For Ross's friends and family it must be a huge shock, because he is young and fit.

I think the thing from the point of view of a friend or a family member is that you hear the word 'cancer' and the mind instinctively goes to the worst scene scenario. It is, as you suggest, the natural reaction. It is a shock that takes some time to digest. I hope that Andy does get time to find out a little about Ross's situation, because it will help him understand what is going on and what is being done. I think the feeling of helpless a diagnosis like that can cause is the worst feeling. As a friend or a family member you want to do something to help. It's very hard to get used to the fact that you can't help really, beyond offering support. I must say that I also hope Andy takes something from how upbeat and positive Ross sounds at the moment. That surely has to be a good sign.

IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #102 on: January 08, 2013, 04:17 PM »

I think Lendl would be slightly better at it then Judy, and here are my reasons. Lendl is no push-over, he can be brutal. That means with the use of aggression he could break Andy's thought enigma code and eradicate the thought from his mind. Though it is always nice to think of a friend with sorrow when they have an illness, both Andy and Lendl know they have a job at hand. Perhaps Andy may start playing better because he has a purpose, 'For Ross' and all that.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #103 on: January 08, 2013, 04:38 PM »

I personally get a bit tired of the complaints of the BBC/press/media/English  etc being anti-Andy.  There are some annoying articles or headlines (though “Murray beats Millman in Brisbane” on the BBC site would be considered too kind by some here!)

Do you think you could do this every match? Could be 'Elena's comments newsround weekly" or something. lol
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #104 on: January 08, 2013, 05:22 PM »

I for one dismiss the sarcastic comments about Andy. Like others on MW I get sick of those kind of comments by certain people on MW. We are here to support Andy but some of the comments are downright cruel and vicious. If you cannot say any constructive comments then do not bother to post. I must admit I do not read them all because they are generally from people who I dislike anyway. Constructive comments please not vicious drivel. doh
[ Last edit by Littlebuddha January 08, 2013, 05:28 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »