Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Today, 12:00 Midnight BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray opens 2013 with 25th title 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray opens 2013 with 25th title

(Read 4829 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #105 on: January 08, 2013, 06:26 PM »

I have been charged and trailed with vicious comments, but they were mainly aimed towards Andy's opponents and not to Andy himself.  lol
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #106 on: January 08, 2013, 07:18 PM »

Do you think you could do this every match? Could be 'Elena's comments newsround weekly" or something. lol

Haha, no chance - once was more than enough! The main point of all that though was that on the BBC comments section the constant references to the nasty posts makes you think there are lots of them when in fact most were pro-Andy.

I suspect some of the trolls don't actually hate Andy, they're just having a laugh at the responses they provoke. It's a pity though, as the BBC site is obviously read by many around the world, and it does give a bad impression.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #107 on: January 08, 2013, 07:56 PM »

Haha, no chance - once was more than enough! The main point of all that though was that on the BBC comments section the constant references to the nasty posts makes you think there are lots of them when in fact most were pro-Andy.

I suspect some of the trolls don't actually hate Andy, they're just having a laugh at the responses they provoke. It's a pity though, as the BBC site is obviously read by many around the world, and it does give a bad impression.
The Daily Mail tends to be where all the haters/troll gather.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #108 on: January 08, 2013, 10:10 PM »

I'm very sorry to hear about your mum, Murray Magic. Frown Losing a parent is so hard - unfortunately I know this from experience having lost my dad 4 years ago.

I'm really glad you've made a recovery SN, the treatment sounds like it was very hard to go through.

I really hope your brother's scan will bring good news next week janscribe.
Many thanks Katie.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #109 on: January 08, 2013, 10:17 PM »

That must have been a hard match for Andy to get through on Sunday if he had only found out, no wonder he broke down straight after Frown

He did look like he was crying into his towel as the match finished I remember thinking its only a 250 Andy no need to be so happy. Then of course I realised it wasn't tears of joy. It's amazing he held it together to win the match.  Fortunately it seems the prognosis should be good.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #110 on: January 09, 2013, 12:03 AM »

The Daily Mail tends to be where all the haters/troll gather.
  I was hacked off with the network BBC piece on Andy's win - it showed all Dimitrovs winners, before Andy's match point, really making it look like Andy got lucky. Fortunately the regional ( Scottish ) news was more balanced.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #111 on: January 09, 2013, 12:43 AM »

I rarely look at comments but I did start looking at one lot on the MSN website in response to Andy's OBE.  I got as far as the third comment, which was "Scottish *******", and gave up.  It has struck me before that a lot of these trolls are really using Andy as an excuse for giving vent to national hatred.

I think Lendl would be slightly better at it then Judy, and here are my reasons. Lendl is no push-over, he can be brutal. That means with the use of aggression he could break Andy's thought enigma code and eradicate the thought from his mind. Though it is always nice to think of a friend with sorrow when they have an illness, both Andy and Lendl know they have a job at hand. Perhaps Andy may start playing better beause he has a purpose, 'For Ross' and all that.
I agree with everything you say - and also I'm sure Lendl knows what makes Andy tick well enough by now to know when to pull in the horns, given that he, too, will most likely have been in a similar situation.

Incidentally I've read through all the posts about how much we all commiserate with Andy and each other, but, unless I've missed it, I don't think there's been a comment about the effect this must be having on Ross himself.  Going by what I've heard from cancer sufferers, including an office colleague who was also diagnosed with HL, he must have been in a state of total shock, and probably denial, when he got the news, and these feelings could still be with him.  He might have sounded cheerful and positive in his tweet but he's got a long hard road ahead of him which could well test him to the limit at times.  I hope and pray that he will find the inner strength to enable him to cope.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #112 on: January 09, 2013, 11:19 AM »

Incidentally I've read through all the posts about how much we all commiserate with Andy and each other, but, unless I've missed it, I don't think there's been a comment about the effect this must be having on Ross himself.  Going by what I've heard from cancer sufferers, including an office colleague who was also diagnosed with HL, he must have been in a state of total shock, and probably denial, when he got the news, and these feelings could still be with him.  He might have sounded cheerful and positive in his tweet but he's got a long hard road ahead of him which could well test him to the limit at times.  I hope and pray that he will find the inner strength to enable him to cope.

Hi Aileen and all,

I agree with your point. In truth, I don't think any of us would have intentionally overlooked Ross. I just think it is very hard to imagine what it feels like to be in that situation, unless you've either been there yourself or know someone who has. Personally I can only compare with my niece, who had an awful time when she was diagnosed with cancer. She was, understandably, distraught, frightened that she wouldn't see her five year old daughter grow up. It took her a long time to even begin to come to terms with it, to understand that she was treatable, but even then she confided in me one day that when she is eventually clear she will be always on the look out for it, afraid that it might come back. The thing is, there's not a lot you can say to that. You can't say it won't happen. All you can do is try to be reassuring and confident and hope that helps. It breaks your heart though, to listen to a young woman trying to come to terms with what has happened to her, because you know full well that there is nothing irrational about her fears.

In a way my niece's reaction was almost like she was grieving for herself. That sounds weird, but I can't think of any other way to put it. She went through shock, anger, all those sorts of things. Ross may well experience similar emotions. I'm told that it is a pretty common reaction.

I think it is easy to assume that because Ross sounds so positive the road ahead wil be easy. Needless to say, it will probably be anything but. Chemotherapy is very demanding and can make a person feel very, very ill, although not always. It will be during his treatment that Ross will probably need all the support he can get from friends, family etc. I hope he gets all the support he needs through the long road ahead.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #113 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29 PM »

Hi Aileen and all,

I agree with your point. In truth, I don't think any of us would have intentionally overlooked Ross. I just think it is very hard to imagine what it feels like to be in that situation, unless you've either been there yourself or know someone who has. Personally I can only compare with my niece, who had an awful time when she was diagnosed with cancer. She was, understandably, distraught, frightened that she wouldn't see her five year old daughter grow up. It took her a long time to even begin to come to terms with it, to understand that she was treatable, but even then she confided in me one day that when she is eventually clear she will be always on the look out for it, afraid that it might come back. The thing is, there's not a lot you can say to that. You can't say it won't happen. All you can do is try to be reassuring and confident and hope that helps. It breaks your heart though, to listen to a young woman trying to come to terms with what has happened to her, because you know full well that there is nothing irrational about her fears.

In a way my niece's reaction was almost like she was grieving for herself. That sounds weird, but I can't think of any other way to put it. She went through shock, anger, all those sorts of things. Ross may well experience similar emotions. I'm told that it is a pretty common reaction.

I think it is easy to assume that because Ross sounds so positive the road ahead wil be easy. Needless to say, it will probably be anything but. Chemotherapy is very demanding and can make a person feel very, very ill, although not always. It will be during his treatment that Ross will probably need all the support he can get from friends, family etc. I hope he gets all the support he needs through the long road ahead.
Well put, TJ, and very true.  Fortunately these days there's a lot of psychological as well as medical support around for cancer sufferers, and I believe too that there are now drugs which can help alleviate the worst side-effects of chemo.

I sincerely hope that your niece is getting all the help she can.  I know she is getting it from you, and probably from friends and other family members as well, but outside support is needed too.

I've no idea where your niece lives, but I wonder if she has heard of Maggie's Centres?  These Centres, the first of which was opened in Edinburgh in 1996, are a network of drop-in centres in Great Britain, which aim to help anyone who has been affected by cancer. They are not intended as a replacement for conventional cancer therapy, but as a caring environment that can provide support, information and practical advice. They are located nearby, but are separate from, existing NHS hospitals.  In addition, there is also now an free online Centre.  I've heard nothing but praise from those who have used them, especially the chance they give them to share experiences with other cancer sufferer.  For full information - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie's_Centres
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #114 on: January 09, 2013, 09:42 PM »

Incidentally I've read through all the posts about how much we all commiserate with Andy and each other, but, unless I've missed it, I don't think there's been a comment about the effect this must be having on Ross himself.  Going by what I've heard from cancer sufferers, including an office colleague who was also diagnosed with HL, he must have been in a state of total shock, and probably denial, when he got the news, and these feelings could still be with him.  He might have sounded cheerful and positive in his tweet but he's got a long hard road ahead of him which could well test him to the limit at times.  I hope and pray that he will find the inner strength to enable him to cope.

Before we knew that it was Ross.

You mean that they have a life and are humans? Always have, and will never judge a loss because as Andy has just proved, other things are more important than tennis.

Positive vibes to get well soon to Andy' s friend and anyone else that needs it.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #115 on: January 09, 2013, 09:49 PM »

I was rather tuned in and close with my grandma's cancer treatment routine before her death last April. I can truly say from a somewhat personal experience that some of the strongest of us come from experiences such as cancer. She told me soon after her third bout of chemotherapy that she 'felt invincible', and to be fair I'm some what glad she did, because she knew she wasn't going to live for much longer, but she knew she coud show one last burst of life, and I respect her even now in every shape or form for that, because now when I am stretched to the limits with the challenges of life I recite her words, and I myself feel invincible.

R.I.P. Grandma.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #116 on: January 09, 2013, 09:59 PM »

^ I find that somewhat disrespectful when in the middle of a conversation about cancer. Please post on another site.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #117 on: January 09, 2013, 10:07 PM »

Before we knew that it was Ross.
True, but a lot of posts were still made after that was known.  Anyway life's too short to spend time arguing - and sadly there does seem to have been a lot of that on here in the last few days.  I'm sure though that the AO will now focus minds firmly elsewhere.

I was rather tuned in and close with my grandma's cancer treatment routine before her death last April. I can truly say from a somewhat personal experience that some of the strongest of us come from experiences such as cancer. She told me soon after her third bout of chemotherapy that she 'felt invincible', and to be fair I'm some what glad she did, because she knew she wasn't going to live for much longer, but she knew she coud show one last burst of life, and I respect her even now in every shape or form for that, because now when I am stretched to the limits with the challenges of life I recite her words, and I myself feel invincible.

R.I.P. Grandma.
hug

My mother, who always took great pride in her appearance, insisted on visiting the hairdresser the day before she was due to be admitted to hospital so that she would "look good", even although the stomach cancer made her look like she literally was expecting twins and she knew she didn't have long to live, but maybe when you've reached that stage then something does kick in?  Think

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #118 on: January 09, 2013, 10:46 PM »

^ I find that somewhat disrespectful when in the middle of a conversation about cancer. Please post on another site.
Thanks for drawing attention to that MF, as I missed it.  Now been reported to moderator as advertising, so if you ever see anything like that again - and these posters aren't fussy about where they operate, it could be random anyway (clearly this one doesn't even know this is a tennis website) - then please use that facility (at bottom RH corner of their post) and it'll be removed a.s.a.p.

And that's it - it's gone now. Smile
[ Last edit by Aileen January 09, 2013, 10:51 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray opens 2013 with 25th title « Reply #119 on: January 09, 2013, 10:47 PM »

True, but a lot of posts were still made after that was known.  Anyway life's too short to spend time arguing - and sadly there does seem to have been a lot of that on here in the last few days.  I'm sure though that the AO will now focus minds firmly elsewhere.
hug

No worries. Very Happy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »