Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray ousted by Berdych 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray ousted by Berdych

(Read 2117 times)
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #45 on: May 12, 2013, 09:43 PM »

zz...nite Emma.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #46 on: May 12, 2013, 09:46 PM »

There's an assumption that Andy had wasted a lot of break point opportunities in this match and I need to show that it was so much that he had wasted those opportunities but rather it was an impossible scenario to convert most of those. I don't like blind assessment. That wasn't the case so far.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #47 on: May 13, 2013, 12:43 AM »

Andy's artistry is wasted on the dirt.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #48 on: May 13, 2013, 07:09 AM »

^ Too true.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 08:22 AM »

There's an assumption that Andy had wasted a lot of break point opportunities in this match and I need to show that it was so much that he had wasted those opportunities but rather it was an impossible scenario to convert most of those. I don't like blind assessment. That wasn't the case so far.

True. Berdych must be credited for his clutch play.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #50 on: May 13, 2013, 08:32 AM »

Agreed. Far too much of the dirt.

EJ. watch your double negatives
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #51 on: May 13, 2013, 08:44 AM »

Very, very true. That's why I don't like the clay. I can understand that there is skill involved in playing on clay, as on the other surfaces, but to me clay court tennis is ugly and brutal. I love the grass, it's far more attractive to watch and therefore more entertaining. I think Andy, at his best, is stunning on the grass now,
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #52 on: May 13, 2013, 03:26 PM »

Clay is indeed a crap surface.  I remember all those years finishing matches covered in red sh*t - the ball bounces all over the place in random directions when it hits the tape - and bounces so high it's ridiculous.

Growing up through my teens and early 20's (when I was a good player) my Tennis Club had 4 Clay courts and 4 Grass (no Hard??) but we were hardly ever allowed to play on the grass because the courts wore out so quickly. So clay it was, and it was awful.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #53 on: May 13, 2013, 05:02 PM »

I wouldn't say Andy's artistry is wasted on the dirt at all. Andy played a very good match against Berdych and he looked smashing. Berdych just played slightly better than Andy on big points and his serve, at the end of the day, saved him the match. I am sure Andy feels he's making progress. A player knows. Also, this surface is a bit challenging for Andy but that doesn't mean he should step aside. Not a top priority but he can definitely take the challenge in his stride and make improvement. Things change in tennis fairly quickly so who's to say what lies ahead in future. One great show and people will be forced to change their opinion about him on clay. Nothing is written in stone.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #54 on: May 13, 2013, 06:30 PM »

Anyone who thinks Andy's artistry is wasted on clay needs to rewatch his match against Gasquet at RG again.

He just seems to lack the confidence on this surface to ever really play his best stuff. Probably down to the movement, as his confidence stems heavily from how well he's moving.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #55 on: May 13, 2013, 06:53 PM »

Anyone who thinks Andy's artistry is wasted on clay needs to rewatch his match against Gasquet at RG again.
But then, Gasquet has artistry too.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #56 on: May 13, 2013, 06:58 PM »

He just seems to lack the confidence on this surface to ever really play his best stuff. Probably down to the movement, as his confidence stems heavily from how well he's moving.

To be fair I stand corrected. That was a great match to watch. I thoroughly enjoyed it, which is not unheard of for me for a match on clay, but fairly unusual. I just don't like the clay as a surface really.

I'm convinced that for Andy it is a confidence issue more than anything. I think you're spot on about the movement. I also sometimes think that Andy needs just one big win on the clay, a win over someone people might think he'd lose to, to make him realise that he can play on it. I mean, I know I say often that I think 2011 might be a red herring, but that year Andy did take matches very close against Djokovic and Nadal. In my book that means that he can play on it at the top level, he just needs to consistently believe he can.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #57 on: May 13, 2013, 08:56 PM »

Nothing is wasted on any surface. I don't even understand the statement.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #58 on: May 13, 2013, 08:59 PM »

Nothing is wasted on any surface. I don't even understand the statement.
You must do, you've just replied to it.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray ousted by Berdych « Reply #59 on: May 14, 2013, 12:19 AM »

Andy did play a very flat TB. The way they were both serving you could tell it was heading for a TB, so Andy should have been prepared for it. He did try his best to break him again but at 5-6, you should really get ready for the TB. It just seemed to me he wasn't mentally ready for it and was a bit disheartened maybe that he couldn't break Berdcyh again to take the 1st set. Oh well...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »