Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title

(Read 3519 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « on: January 08, 2012, 09:34 AM »

Andy Murray's new year got off to the best possible start, as he trounced Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-1 6-3 in just 67 minutes in the final of the Brisbane International, to collect his 22nd ATP tour title.

Although Dolgopolov was dogged by a groin injury, this was a solid display right from the off, with the world number four outrunning, outhitting and outfoxing the Ukrainian in a clinical display of power tennis.

Murray, whose serve was superb throughout, declared his intentions from the first game, with a solid opener that concluded with an ace. Although Dolgopolov levelled in the next game, the Scot then reeled off nine straight games in brutal fashion. Up in the stands, new coach Lendl's grin was suitably wry.

The world number 15 sealed a service break at 1-4 in the second set with a stunning forehand and then held for 3-4, but Murray simply moved matters up a gear to crush not only his opponent's game, but his spirit.

Dolgopolov later explained that he'd been unable to push off on his right leg, and a gracious Murray was quick to recognise the fact. He said, "I'd like to say sorry to Alex; he had a problem with his leg."

Read more (141 words)
The injury predictably resulted in some points-shortening tennis from the Ukrainian, which Murray also acknowledged. The Scot said, "He was just going for his shots [and] hit quite a few winners but I didn’t let it get to me. I felt like I was moving well right at the end of the week."

Of little interest to Murray will be the prize money – $74,370 – and the 250 South African Airways 2012 ATP ranking points, which won't register against his rolling total, thanks to the esoteric ATP system.

Instead, the Scot will reflect on his fine serving this week, his improved mental strength and his pitiless crushing of hapless opponents. Up in the stands, his new coach's memory could be forgiven for drifting back 25 years, although his focus will be locked solely on what promises to be a fascinating Australian Open.
[ Last edit by Mark January 08, 2012, 07:22 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:18 AM »

I believe the beeb got their report out 1st Whistle
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 10:28 AM »

I believe the beeb got their report out 1st Whistle

The Beeb were on site. I was in bed.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 10:32 AM »

The Beeb were on site. I was in bed.

naughty A poor excuse.

So did you watch a replay to write up your report?

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 10:33 AM »

naughty A poor excuse.

So did you watch a replay to write up your report?

Er, *cough* yes, of course.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 10:35 AM »

Eyebrow raise.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 11:02 AM »

Naughty boy!   Very Happy
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 11:12 AM »

Well done you did explain yesterday why you couldn't be up at 4am. Still a good read,and well done to Andy playing so well and keeping focus. This is a good start and I for one think that having Ivan in his corner will pay dividends and feel they will get on very well as they have the same work ethic, and mutual respect. Andy has already said he was looking to having a long time with whoever was appointed, he spoke about 5 yrs and as waited to appoint the right person for him will work hard at this relationship and he has his team behind him in this appointment. We are at the start of a very exciting time. highfive trophy
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 11:17 AM »

Nigel doesn't do mornings and doesnt watch 250, 500 events, so we can just forget it. Whistle

Never the less, gotta be grateful to the News Team for the good job they do (cant imagine the pay is the motive), even though they like their beds too much w00t 
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 11:22 AM »

Well done you did explain yesterday why you couldn't be up at 4am. Still a good read,and well done to Andy playing so well and keeping focus. This is a good start and I for one think that having Ivan in his corner will pay dividends and feel they will get on very well as they have the same work ethic, and mutual respect. Andy has already said he was looking to having a long time with whoever was appointed, he spoke about 5 yrs and as waited to appoint the right person for him will work hard at this relationship and he has his team behind him in this appointment. We are at the start of a very exciting time. highfive trophy
It must be a great burden off Andy's shoulders to have finally got a coach. That factor alone must be an enormous boost. There's been so much pressure, criticism and speculation about his coaching situation.

Good to end all that and move on.

wub

IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 12:12 PM »

I liked when he talked in his interviews about "focusing on the process" when it comes to the slams and the big matches.  That is definitely the way to go!

I am just as optimistic about Andy's chances here as I was in previous years.  Ivan could make the necessary mental difference over the next three weeks, as Andy has said changes in his game will take longer, but tactics against the top three will be a massive thing, and here again the czech can be influential.

Australia is by far my favourite slam of the year, so glad its only a week away!  Andy on Nadal's side of the draw is what we want to see.  Nole can wait for the final.

I strongly feel Andy will end this year inside the top 2, and will win his first slam.  I think everything is aligning nicely for this.  He needs to rise to the challenge of Nadal and Nole though, as once he can get the better of these rivalries, everything else that he aspires to will naturally follow.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 12:21 PM »

I liked when he talked in his interviews about "focusing on the process" when it comes to the slams and the big matches.  That is definitely the way to go!

I am just as optimistic about Andy's chances here as I was in previous years.  Ivan could make the necessary mental difference over the next three weeks, as Andy has said changes in his game will take longer, but tactics against the top three will be a massive thing, and here again the czech can be influential.

Australia is by far my favourite slam of the year, so glad its only a week away!  Andy on Nadal's side of the draw is what we want to see.  Nole can wait for the final.

I strongly feel Andy will end this year inside the top 2, and will win his first slam.  I think everything is aligning nicely for this.  He needs to rise to the challenge of Nadal and Nole though, as once he can get the better of these rivalries, everything else that he aspires to will naturally follow.
Yes totally agree with that, well said. Well done Andy great start to the year. trophy
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 12:36 PM »

Well done Andy clap
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 12:41 PM »

Can't criticise as I didn't get up early either.  Weird that the points don't count as I thought he could choose which 250s he uses but clearly more esoteric than that!
Anyway it's a great start to the year and sounds Andy did really well both on and off court.  Also did a good interview with the dreaded Gary Richardson on R5L this morning . I think this link should take you to it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/16459777.stm
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 01:17 PM »

That'll be the Gary Richardson who once interviewed a member of the crowd at an England cricket match in the belief that he was Alec Stewart.

Where do the Beeb find these people?
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »