Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title

(Read 3221 times)
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 01:18 PM »

Great to see Andy battle to lift the title after initial struggles against Kukushkin and Muller. Much more assured performances against Baggy and Tomic. It was a shame that Dolgo wasn't 100% but Andy went out there and did a job with a minimum of fuss.

That's all we can ask of Andy...well apart from lifting the AO trophy come the 29th Jan!!
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 01:18 PM »

Can't criticise as I didn't get up early either.  Weird that the points don't count as I thought he could choose which 250s he uses but clearly more esoteric than that!
Anyway it's a great start to the year and sounds Andy did really well both on and off court.  Also did a good interview with the dreaded Gary Richardson on R5L this morning . I think this link should take you to it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/16459777.stm
why dosnt he get the points Ruthie ?
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 01:27 PM »

Watched highlights on official Brisbane site.
Beats me how the dog lost...even the crowd noise was higher for his shots....must be that dodgy editor again?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 01:42 PM »

why dosnt he get the points Ruthie ?

Something to do with already having won two 250 events in the past year. Only two can count, I believe.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 01:47 PM »

For top 30 players (at year-end 2011), the tourneys that count towards ATP ranking are:

+ The four grand slams
+ Eight Masters
+ Four 500s
+ Two 250s.

With two 250s already under his belt, this one was just for fun - until one of the others drops off under the rolling system, I'm guessing.
[ Last edit by Grabcopy January 08, 2012, 01:55 PM ] IP Logged
Johnny Handsome
Futures Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 02:16 PM »

IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 02:42 PM »

For top 30 players (at year-end 2011), the tourneys that count towards ATP ranking are:

+ The four grand slams
+ Eight Masters
+ Four 500s
+ Two 250s.

With two 250s already under his belt, this one was just for fun - until one of the others drops off under the rolling system, I'm guessing.
Thanks GC, dam it thought it would close the gap on Fed, so Fed will have points taken of for not winning Dohar.
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 03:02 PM »

+ The four grand slams
+ Eight Masters
+ Four 500s
+ Two 250s.

He could count it if he'd played 4 500's, one of which could be Monte Carlo, but he's only played 3, so he can't.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 03:10 PM »

He could count it if he'd played 4 500's, one of which could be Monte Carlo, but he's only played 3, so he can't.

Eh? If he'd played four 500s, he could still count only two 250s?
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 03:13 PM »

I think giving Andy confidence and getting match tight playing at Brisbane more than compensates not gaining 250 points. Imagine if Andy had lost to Kukushkin..that wouldn't have been ideal so can't complain with the outcome this morning.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 03:16 PM »

The whole system is daft. I don't understand it. Does Andy creep up a few points on Federer?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 03:26 PM »

The whole system is daft. I don't understand it. Does Andy creep up a few points on Federer?

Yeah, I think so. Federer won Doha last year, and made the semis this year, so that's a 160-point gain, as far as I can tell.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 03:37 PM »

Just listened to the interview on 5 live. Andy sounded so much more comfortable than in press conference is it just because its one on one or is it because its radio and not TV.
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 03:49 PM »

Yeah that's another rule that adds to the confusion of the ranking system. A "prize" for participating in four 500 events in the last 52 weeks is that a player can replace the lowest 500 score with the points from their next best countable tournament. This site explains the rules pretty well: http://mytennislounge.com/comments/index.php?shell=2846

The ATP claim that the ranking system is fine the way it is and "accessible to anyone" but that's clearly not true. I'm sure that the percentage of tennis fans who understand the ranking system is very low. We follow a lot of tennis here on Murraysworld but there's probably fewer than ten MW members who can say that they are completely confident in the way the rankings work (I'm not one of them). No sport should have rules that are this complicated and it really annoys me that these people at the ATP don't consider that fans may want to follow their favourite player's points and not leave it up to the boffins at the ATP. If I was the type to write strongly worded letters to people then the ATP would've already received a letter from me containing some pretty strong words about all this.

grrrrr
[ Last edit by notnek January 08, 2012, 03:58 PM ] IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 03:49 PM »

Just listened to the interview on 5 live. Andy sounded so much more comfortable than in press conference is it just because its one on one or is it because its radio and not TV.

I believe it's a lot to do with Andy's increasing maturity. There is a world of difference between his 2011 interviews and this one.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »