Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title

(Read 3151 times)
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #75 on: January 09, 2012, 07:56 PM »

The "Mr Lendl" thing is quite interesting I think.  Many years ago (and those who have been following Andy since the start will remember this) Andy played an exhibition match (1 set) against McEnroe at the Albert Hall.  Andy actually lost, but he made quite an impression on the American who has been a big fan of Andy's ever since, and has made his availability to coach him known on many occasions.  Anyway, one of the things McEnroe said afterwards was how nice it was to see a young guy who was very talented and also very respectful - Andy had referred to him as "Mr McEnroe" at the net and said what a pleasure it was to play him and so on.  I think what you see here is not only the same level of respect, but also a recognition that in Andy's eyes he is dealing with an equal, or a better, something which was not true of Maclagan, Petchey or even Gilbert.      

Going to be a bit picky now  (sorry) the exhibition match was at Wembley, I was there. Mac wiped the floor with our Andy 5-1 (and i suspect he let him get the one)  Think the boot would be on the other foot now though.
[ Last edit by Tessie January 09, 2012, 08:13 PM ] IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #76 on: January 09, 2012, 08:11 PM »

if you go to 1:25:51 around about that time then you should see the presentation Smile "Mr Lendl" Very Happy

Thanks for the link watched the presentation and must say I am becoming more and more impressed with how confident, mature and assured Andy has become. He is so respectful of others around him complimenting Alex and his coach and the compliments for the event itself was so sincere.  Such a lovely guy how can people run him down like they do.  Now I am going to watch the game have saved it for today so then only have a week until theres more tennis to watch.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #77 on: January 09, 2012, 10:18 PM »

crowd probably wanted a 3rd set so would have been encouraging the dog.
I'm sure that's the reason they were encouraging him. I've seen that in the majority of matches I've watched. Then when they get their way, they go back to rooting for their real favorite.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #78 on: January 09, 2012, 10:44 PM »

This is such a great site!!  I really enjoy reading all the posts and watching all the videos. Thanks to everyone.

Andy has changed in his mannerisms on the court. And his play has been superb!! Winning the Asian tour and then coming in and winning Brisbane is really something. And I really like his interviews, they are always respectful to his opponents.  Many of you have been following Andy for a long time, I'd be interested in hearing your views on the current Andy.

Also, some have mentioned that Lendl scares them. I think he will be quite the disciplinarian.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #79 on: January 10, 2012, 10:02 AM »

This is such a great site!!  I really enjoy reading all the posts and watching all the videos. Thanks to everyone.

Andy has changed in his mannerisms on the court. And his play has been superb!! Winning the Asian tour and then coming in and winning Brisbane is really something. And I really like his interviews, they are always respectful to his opponents.  Many of you have been following Andy for a long time, I'd be interested in hearing your views on the current Andy.

Also, some have mentioned that Lendl scares them. I think he will be quite the disciplinarian.
Since you ask, I saw a change (temperament) starting to happen within Andy early last autumn. Which contributed to him having 3 Asian wins, IMO.
He seems to be building on that every match, difficult as it may be.

Fully agree with you here, I can imagine Lendl being a no- nonsense, demanding coach. Disciplinary, yes definately, but mostly expecting Andy to show more self discipline.
IP Logged
spocler
Futures Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #80 on: January 10, 2012, 11:59 AM »

"Can already tell that a strong bond is forming between Murray and Mr Lendl."
Neil Harman on Twitter
Very Happy
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #81 on: January 10, 2012, 08:20 PM »

"Can already tell that a strong bond is forming between Murray and Mr Lendl."
Neil Harman on Twitter
Very Happy

And theres a strong bond forming with me and Mr Harman if he keeps writing such positive stuff about Andy. Used to buy the Mail am a convert to the Times.
IP Logged
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #82 on: January 12, 2012, 02:54 PM »

Really excited about Lendl being on board yay, even though I wasn't a fan of his as a player he played with a controlled intensity and looked like an intimidating character to play against, if he instills more of that into Andy's game it will be a big plus. I always think it unnerves opponents a bit when Andy shouts his 'C'MON'!!! after winning a point and I'd like to see more of this..it would be nice if the only time the opponent hears Andy speak throughout a match is after Andy has won the point. It will be great for Andy to hear from someone of Lendl's stature that he has prepared properly and is ready for a semi-final / final etc, it will give Andy the reassurance that he needs as he takes to the court for the really big matches.
I don't think that Andy's game will change drastically as a result of Lendl's coaching, I hope not anyway as after all Andy has won 4 of the last 5 tournaments he has played in (not counting the brief injury hit appearance at the O2) so his game is in great shape. Lendl can maybe give some good tactical pointers, I'd especially like Andy to deal better with his service game immediately after breaking an opponent. Too often he's handed the initiative straight back with a sloppy service game. It could be a concentration thing, a kind of complacency after getting ahead in the set.. maybe he could develop a new serving strategy for key games in matches. You hear so much about other players having an 'old faithful' type of serve that they depend on in key moments but you don't seem to hear this in relation to Andy, I wonder what Andy feels his most reliable type of serve is?
A couple of tweaks here and there and we'll soon be cheering on the World No 1 and multiple Grand Slam winner.
This is our year folks, I can feel it!!

IP Logged
curtis71
Satellite Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #83 on: January 12, 2012, 04:01 PM »

personally i think Lendl is there mostly for andy's mindset, maybe a few pointers as to when he should use his aggressiveness but mostly mindset i think

which is a good thing, dont want his game changing too much
IP Logged
syc23
Futures Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #84 on: January 12, 2012, 04:34 PM »

Andy was really businesslike throughout the match with pretty much a robot like blank expression which is what he needs to do every match. Federer and Sampras has perfected this and opponents never knew if they've ruffled their opponent.

Lendl is going to drill this and combined with a more solid 2nd serve and hopefully more improved FH DTL, he can win any 4 of the games biggest prize in 2012 Smile
IP Logged
ljs
Futures Level

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #85 on: January 12, 2012, 04:41 PM »

well if anyone can do that its Lendl !!   
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #86 on: January 12, 2012, 05:03 PM »

love everything I've read from last few posts about Andy and Mr L. 
Interesting what someone said about Johnnie Mac describing Andy as respectful.  I've always felt that about him. When he first played Fed he said that about it being a privilege so I've always found it odd that smugfed clearlydoesn't like him.  It's somehow as if Andy is beneath him.
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #87 on: January 12, 2012, 05:44 PM »

love everything I've read from last few posts about Andy and Mr L. 
Interesting what someone said about Johnnie Mac describing Andy as respectful.  I've always felt that about him. When he first played Fed he said that about it being a privilege so I've always found it odd that smugfed clearlydoesn't like him.  It's somehow as if Andy is beneath him.
Not sure smugfed likes anyone but himself.  When it comes to Andy, he is a threat to Roger,  therefore I doubt that Roger will ever say anything good about him.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #88 on: January 12, 2012, 06:51 PM »

Not sure smugfed likes anyone but himself.  When it comes to Andy, he is a threat to Roger,  therefore I doubt that Roger will ever say anything good about him.
well I've never seen him show the same disrespect towards Rafa who he seems to see as worthy of playing him.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray outfoxes The Dog for Brisbane title « Reply #89 on: January 12, 2012, 07:14 PM »

Ruthie, Rog n Raf have got a real "Romance" going..They're all snuggles and huggles vomit
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »