Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  News  >  Murray outruns the road-runner 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray outruns the road-runner

(Read 2256 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Murray outruns the road-runner « on: October 08, 2011, 12:43 PM »

Andy Murray recorded a routine 6-2 6-3 victory over road-runner David Ferrer today to book a place in the final of the Rakuten Japan Open against Rafael Nadal.

Victory tomorrow on the Centre Court in Tokyo would mean a morale-boosting second successive title after the Scot's triumph in the Thailand Open last week. Nadal made the final after dispatching Mardy Fish 7-5 6-1.

Murray broke Ferrer's serve three times in the match, which lasted just one hour 21 minutes.

"I played great from start to finish," said Murray. "It was always going to be a tough match, but I played smart and I was hitting the ball very deep from the back of the court, so it was a very good performance.

"I think he's played some very good tennis the last couple of matches. He's always tough. He won here last year, so he likes the conditions."

Murray has beaten Nadal just four times, although his head to head on hard courts is a respectable 3-4 in the Spaniard's favour. Less auspiciously for Murray fans, Nadal has won their last five encounters. The Scot will need to be aggressive from the off if he is to turn that sequence around.

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 12:45 PM »

Sorry, another dull review. I just don't follow these 250 tourneys, although a win vs Rafa tomorrow would, I think, be significant.
IP Logged
Big V

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 12:50 PM »

500 event
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 12:51 PM »

He is going to win tomorrow, he ius playing so well and his serve has improved. Natel does not have the heavy serve Andy has, but Nadal does have the placement.

If his attitiude  is the same as it has been all week , then I think it is going to be a great match. Andy Being the winner. We must be positive.
IP Logged
Patsy
Satellite Level

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 01:20 PM »

Someone on the daily mail comments section suggested that Andy should wear a  Djokovic mask tomorrow  to scare the hell out of Nadal lol!
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 01:54 PM »

Someone on the daily mail comments section suggested that Andy should wear a  Djokovic mask tomorrow  to scare the hell out of Nadal lol!
Andy will just need to finish off the big points like the break point opportunities and keep cool.
He was in control a Wimby 1st set,  then he lost his composure, went back to his old ways, then he the plot.

However, I think he'll have a better chance to beat him at a lesser event, this final does not have the pressure of a slam SF.
His game is more than good enough but Nadal seldom hits long or wide. Andy has a tendency to do that.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 01:55 PM »

Sorry, another dull review. I just don't follow these 250 tourneys, although a win vs Rafa tomorrow would, I think, be significant.

Tut-tut Nigel ... a 500 it is. naughty  However in terms of excitement it was a pretty boring match - a masterclass from Andy which left Ferrer, usually a gutsy fighter, wondering what he had to do to make any headway here.

Very Happy  Seriously, though, Andy will need to do something special if he is to beat Nadal, especially in a final.  Not only will he need to be playing at his very best, but in addition to coming out all guns blazing from the start, he's going to have to get his tactics right - and he keeps telling us he knows how to beat Nadal, even going as far as explaining it, so perhaps he could do himself, and us, a favour by actually doing it again tomorrow! Smile  My concern is that, if he loses to Nadal then he'll go into a slump (it's happened before) and with a title to defend in Shanghai that could be disastrous.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 02:00 PM »

Needless to say, the longer this goes on (losing to Rafa) the harder it will get to beat him.

Rafa is amazing and will not give anything away - he's defending his title.

Either way, win or lose, I wont be surprised by the result.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 02:29 PM »

I actually think that Andy at present is a different person.
He must come out with a game plan and stick to it.

nadal can be beaten and Andy is the guy.  He has done it before and as you say this is a differnt event 500 series not a grand salam.

We are behing you Andy. The key is the serve and the right approach to net.
IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 02:35 PM »

Just checked the teletext, and I'm livid. They only mentioned that Andy was in the Final tomorrow against Rafa, (probably because it is Rafa, but no mention at all that Andy and Jamie are in the final on the same day, back to back. Really disappointed in this country, they are only interest in tearing him down.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 03:26 PM »

Just checked the teletext, and I'm livid. They only mentioned that Andy was in the Final tomorrow against Rafa, (probably because it is Rafa, but no mention at all that Andy and Jamie are in the final on the same day, back to back. Really disappointed in this country, they are only interest in tearing him down.

Nothing new there then!
IP Logged
Iris
ATP Level

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 04:03 PM »

A write up on Eurosport said that Rafa would find it hard to beat Andy tomorrow if Andy still plays the way he did against Ferrer!
IP Logged
marg
Junior

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 04:16 PM »

Just watched recording of A league of their own.  Perhaps James Corden will send Andy some winning'vibes' on a text for tomorrow.  Andy looked pretty nervous on the show but he seemed to be enjoying the banter.
Will be watching the lives scores; C'mon Andy;C'mon Andy and Jamie.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 04:31 PM »

I agree with Alis, its about time the people in the UK valued Andy though this seems unlikely. They don't respect his achievements. It boils down to class a lot of people do not think he is good enough to be the British number one. He's not good enough for the wimbledon and pims brigade so nothing is going to change unless they do and I just cant see it.
IP Logged
lashurst
Veteran

Murray Mad

Re: Murray outruns the road-runner « Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 05:18 PM »

Its utterly scandalous that two British players are in a world class tournament and not a mention of it.
Jamie is probably not perceived as being an important tennis player in the eyes of the media, but Andy certainly is and he is doing the double tomorrow.
 ranting

Usless editor at the TV sports programme. hammer
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »